Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Polestar offer / Remap T4

Views : 2765

Replies : 27

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 15th, 2022, 18:35   #21
Dan1971

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franko1960 View Post
I had to cancel my Polestar upgrade. Direct Line would not insure me.
Shame... LV just referred it to underwriter and have shown it as "performance enhancement"
Old Aug 15th, 2022, 20:09   #22
100K+
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franko1960 View Post
I had to cancel my Polestar upgrade. Direct Line would not insure me.
Plus 1 on this save my vehicle was a P3 V70 D5 and the insurance company was Aviva.. what they actually said they would not insure ANY modification from standard. Even when I told them that Volvo offered base cars which owners could choose option,making them " modified" the call handler said they would now only cover standard cars....I hung up...
Cheers Bob..
100K+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15th, 2022, 20:23   #23
Ian0803

Although my insurance is not due to Oct, I thought I would explore further and put my details into the Volvo Insurance website as surely the Polestar optimisation should be a known quantity. When I purchased the car, they had, from memory, quoted something around £600, which was about £200 more than I currently paid, so I never explored further.
I added all the requested details as per my current insurance, minus the protected no claims and it came back with a competitive quote of ca £300.
I then clicked the "modification" box and searching through the list there was no Polestar modification. There were several chip options, finally settling for a power increase of 0-10%, for which the Polestar falls for the B5D. The quote quickly rose to £937!!
I then unchecked the box, back to no modifications and from then on, what ever I did, the £300 quote was gone and every option was £900+
So clearly, just thinking about Polestar seems to have marked me as an insurance liability or boy racer in the eyes of Volvo insurance.

The stock B5D was already about 10% more expensive to insure than my sub 5 sec 0-60, 360bhp BMW X3M40i, seems when it comes to insurance, less is more
Ian0803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15th, 2022, 20:24   #24
Ian0803

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100K+ View Post
Plus 1 on this save my vehicle was a P3 V70 D5 and the insurance company was Aviva.. what they actually said they would not insure ANY modification from standard. Even when I told them that Volvo offered base cars which owners could choose option,making them " modified" the call handler said they would now only cover standard cars....I hung up...
Cheers Bob..
I had exactly the same experience with Aviva when it came to requesting to add Polestar
Ian0803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17th, 2022, 16:12   #25
Dan1971

Default All done

So -

11.30 this morning she was in Clelands Volvo Galashiels for an hour to get "optimised".

12.30 washed and returned to me with a nice badge fitted on the back. A little box with a nice certificate for having had it done with an orange metal credit card holder too with Polestar etched on it - nice touch.

Supposedly 20 more horses and some more torques to boost mid-range. 0-60 improved by a whapping 0.10 secs.

Drive home was A roads and it did seem quite a bit perkier to be fair despite the modest power increase. On the way to get it done I set the cruise at 45 and booted it. 1 Mississippi, 2 .... 5 Mississippi - 70mph .... Same on the way home, just about to say 4 and it was there.

Now I know fine well that wasn't scientific. I did want to get it RR tested before and after as I'm a bit of a doubting Thomas really, but the garage didn't return my calls. So - for sure punchier in mid-range and exactly what I'm after for my 30 mile A road trips with the family to help get by slow moving dreamers. I'm far from a racer but sometimes get stuck behind a dawdler, caravan, mobile home or HGV, the shorter the time I'm on the wrong side of the road, the better, and safer we'll be. That was just in "comfort" not in the new "polestar optimised" setting.

RR days are maybe not the sort of thing to be done via a Volvo forum I understand, but I will at some point have it tested to establish exactly what gains have been made in a tried and tested fashion rather than rely on a manufacturer quote. That's why I also wanted a before - but alas, not to be. I've always been like that and have always posted figures to benefit others who may consider similar changes.

Bottom line for me - quicker - sharper throttle response, but will update this thread either way going forward.

Cost £500 (further discounted from the £555 current offer) all in for the work at the garage and will work out about £30 on top of my annual insurance premium with LV.

Last edited by Dan1971; Aug 17th, 2022 at 16:15.
Dan1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dan1971 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 17th, 2022, 17:01   #26
Franko1960

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan1971 View Post
So -

11.30 this morning she was in Clelands Volvo Galashiels for an hour to get "optimised".

12.30 washed and returned to me with a nice badge fitted on the back. A little box with a nice certificate for having had it done with an orange metal credit card holder too with Polestar etched on it - nice touch.

Supposedly 20 more horses and some more torques to boost mid-range. 0-60 improved by a whapping 0.10 secs.

Drive home was A roads and it did seem quite a bit perkier to be fair despite the modest power increase. On the way to get it done I set the cruise at 45 and booted it. 1 Mississippi, 2 .... 5 Mississippi - 70mph .... Same on the way home, just about to say 4 and it was there.

Now I know fine well that wasn't scientific. I did want to get it RR tested before and after as I'm a bit of a doubting Thomas really, but the garage didn't return my calls. So - for sure punchier in mid-range and exactly what I'm after for my 30 mile A road trips with the family to help get by slow moving dreamers. I'm far from a racer but sometimes get stuck behind a dawdler, caravan, mobile home or HGV, the shorter the time I'm on the wrong side of the road, the better, and safer we'll be. That was just in "comfort" not in the new "polestar optimised" setting.

RR days are maybe not the sort of thing to be done via a Volvo forum I understand, but I will at some point have it tested to establish exactly what gains have been made in a tried and tested fashion rather than rely on a manufacturer quote. That's why I also wanted a before - but alas, not to be. I've always been like that and have always posted figures to benefit others who may consider similar changes.

Bottom line for me - quicker - sharper throttle response, but will update this thread either way going forward.

Cost £500 (further discounted from the £555 current offer) all in for the work at the garage and will work out about £30 on top of my annual insurance premium with LV.
Enjoy.
What ever you do, don't get insured with Direct Line. Your premiums will rocket or they will not insure you.

On order: Volvo XC60 B5 Ultimate Black Edition MY24 (AAOS)
Franko1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Franko1960 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 29th, 2022, 14:15   #27
Dan1971

So a month or so on and 1200 miles.

All good. I would recommend it to anyone with a T4 engine. Improves mid range feel by some margin.

mpg unaffected.
Old Dec 28th, 2023, 16:25   #28
Jaddak

Bit of a thread revival... interested to hear how you've got on +6 months down the road.
Jaddak is offline   Reply With Quote