Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Polestar offer / Remap T4

Views : 2758

Replies : 27

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 8th, 2022, 00:35   #11
Dan1971

Negative posts only for a non polestar remap. I'm surprised.
Old Aug 8th, 2022, 00:49   #12
SnineT
Extrahumanestrial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan1971 View Post
Negative posts only for a non polestar remap. I'm surprised.
It's not like that Dan, I posted to make you aware that they will sell you any map and some exceed what the car is physically possible to achieve without prematurely destroying it, it's not only the engine, the gearbox will have a limit on how much torque it can handle, it's why VAG has so many revisions of the DSG, the manufacturers can tune a 1000cc putt putt to go like an F1 car but only for about 3 miles before it explodes, it's all in the gearing and how much fuel you can drive into the cylinders and of course the actual break point of gearbox component's, a friend of mine fitted a normal clutch in his Passat so save money on the DMF clutch that should've been there, 3 months later snapped crankshaft.
SnineT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SnineT For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 8th, 2022, 08:46   #13
Dan1971

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnineT View Post
It's not like that Dan, I posted to make you aware that they will sell you any map and some exceed what the car is physically possible to achieve without prematurely destroying it, it's not only the engine, the gearbox will have a limit on how much torque it can handle, it's why VAG has so many revisions of the DSG, the manufacturers can tune a 1000cc putt putt to go like an F1 car but only for about 3 miles before it explodes, it's all in the gearing and how much fuel you can drive into the cylinders and of course the actual break point of gearbox component's, a friend of mine fitted a normal clutch in his Passat so save money on the DMF clutch that should've been there, 3 months later snapped crankshaft.
All I'm saying is I'm surprised that posts have only mentioned , my friend had a nightmare scenario, apart from one actual experience which I acknowledge. No post with a friend who's car was transformed positively other than polestar.

See this as a genuine surprised post, not a sarcastic one. I'm honestly at a loss....
Old Aug 8th, 2022, 09:23   #14
Stu22

Quote:
All I'm saying is I'm surprised that posts have only mentioned , my friend had a nightmare scenario, apart from one actual experience which I acknowledge. No post with a friend who's car was transformed positively other than polestar.

See this as a genuine surprised post, not a sarcastic one. I'm honestly at a loss....
There are many reputable tuners out there and many bad ones too. The Volvo tuning world doesn't revolve around Polestar - just do your homework and you'll be fine.
There is a company called OMW Tuning that does a lot of good work with Volvo remaps, I've yet to hear bad feedback for them.
To be fair a Volvo biased forum is always going to carry its fair share of naysayers that will preach OEM only.....
Old Aug 8th, 2022, 14:10   #15
SnineT
Extrahumanestrial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu22 View Post
There are many reputable tuners out there and many bad ones too. The Volvo tuning world doesn't revolve around Polestar - just do your homework and you'll be fine.
There is a company called OMW Tuning that does a lot of good work with Volvo remaps, I've yet to hear bad feedback for them.
To be fair a Volvo biased forum is always going to carry its fair share of naysayers that will preach OEM only.....
Great comments,

I was only basing this one on the suggested 300 bhp on offer as I think it's a map that will break the car, this part of my reply is really intended for Dan btw.
The Following User Says Thank You to SnineT For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 8th, 2022, 21:09   #16
Dan1971

Thanks all that have viewed and contributed.

I do believe that the car will handle considerably more power. Cars in general are detuned for world wide international markets providing garbage fuels, and to hit emissions targets among other things. Also - if the T4 was more powerful than a T5, who'd buy one unless you needed 4wd? I sold BMWs for a while and had these discussions many times - the M2 was a great example. The M240i was a far better car IMHO, almost as fast with a detuned engine so they could sell the M2.

However, as posted in another thread, after considering other map providers and the potential pitfalls, and doing some thinking about how I'll use the car over the next 23 months - A roads and dual carriageways - with 11 months of MD warranty initially, I'm gonna stick with Polestar, so it's booked in for 17th at my local dealer.

Cheers.

Last edited by Dan1971; Aug 8th, 2022 at 21:16.
Dan1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8th, 2022, 22:29   #17
SnineT
Extrahumanestrial

Quote:
Thanks all that have viewed and contributed.

I do believe that the car will handle considerably more power. Cars in general are detuned for world wide international markets providing garbage fuels, and to hit emissions targets among other things. Also - if the T4 was more powerful than a T5, who'd buy one unless you needed 4wd? I sold BMWs for a while and had these discussions many times - the M2 was a great example. The M240i was a far better car IMHO, almost as fast with a detuned engine so they could sell the M2.

However, as posted in another thread, after considering other map providers and the potential pitfalls, and doing some thinking about how I'll use the car over the next 23 months - A roads and dual carriageways - with 11 months of MD warranty initially, I'm gonna stick with Polestar, so it's booked in for 17th at my local dealer.

Cheers.
Good luck and let us know how it ends up feeling like, I think you're doing the right thing btw, the sort of Beemer you're on about was when they made really strong lumps anyway, today everything's engineered to be just good enough for a 10 year lifespan, there was an article many years ago where the companies were scouring scrapyards and buying their old models back so they could judge what had been over engineered and make cost savings in the to be launched later models, personally I wouldn't consider any Volvo 4 cyl engine to be able to constantly put up with near 300 bhp especially if driven to purpose, you'll find with most tune up's that break the 300 bhp limit they also replace cams, rods, cranks and heads to achieve the higher output reliably, like the saying went in the Mad Max film "speeds just a question of money, how fast do you wanna go?"
Old Aug 9th, 2022, 00:18   #18
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC90Mk1 View Post
The only comment I would have is to check with your insurance company etc. I have a 2012 and I would chip tomorrow but price comparison sites for me go from 2 dozen competitive quotes to 2 at outrageous costs.

I know you mention no ‘T5/T6’ type posts but if you pay £555 for the upgrade and an extra £150 a year for 5 years then a T5 is clearly better value.

Incidentally I have worked with a number of people who use these reputable chipping firms and almost all of them have issues post chipping, usually serious.

I would consider Polstar myself but for me other companies would be a no to be fair.

Each to their own however.
Yes indeed be wary it could cost you a fortune . what would you do if a piston melted for example or you broke a drive shaft coupling??
volvo fully proved and tested in the factory ...

The polestar is a 14 day trial, if you are not happy they will take it off , cost is £10 the dealer is supposed to absorb this don't let them charge you !
Old Aug 15th, 2022, 10:25   #19
Dan1971

I like specifics to help people on forums.

I'm insured with LV. My premium runs until March next year and they have just quoted £16.32 extra for polestar optimisation on my T4. Arranged easily through chat facility online.
Old Aug 15th, 2022, 15:45   #20
Franko1960

Quote:
I like specifics to help people on forums.

I'm insured with LV. My premium runs until March next year and they have just quoted £16.32 extra for polestar optimisation on my T4. Arranged easily through chat facility online.
I had to cancel my Polestar upgrade. Direct Line would not insure me.

On order: Volvo XC60 B5 Ultimate Black Edition MY24 (AAOS)
Franko1960 is offline   Reply With Quote