Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

940 2ltr towing weight

Views : 659

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 9th, 2022, 17:05   #1
volvulus

Default 940 2ltr towing weight

Hi all,

I posted on the TR register forum looking for a light weight trailer for sale in my area.... nobody has one but... I said my 940 estate 2ltr normally aspirated would struggle with a heavy trailer.

There are 2 responders saying that they have 2 ltr 940s and they tow no problems. One has a Brian James trailer and tows long distances. "Easy tow"
he says.

What is the consensus of opinion/experience with volvo owners here?

Prior to rebuilding the engine top end last year after the cam belt failure the "tank" struggled up hills. It's better now but I didn't think a 2 ltr 940 was meant for dragging a trailer or a caravan.

Interested to receive your thoughts.

Regards Ken.
volvulus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to volvulus For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 9th, 2022, 18:12   #2
Forrest
VOC Member

The maximum towing weights for various types of trailer are quoted in the user manual (can be found online for your model year) and are dependent on the weight of the car rather than the engine it's equipped with.

Is the 2ltr turbocharged? If so, and it is running properly, it will have more power than the 2.3 LPT. However, the latter has more low-down torque thus making for more comfortable towing.

If it is normally aspirated it will be slow anyway, with or without a trailer.

Faults in the surprisingly durable ignition components can lead to power and drivability issues so it is worth checking plugs, leads, distributor cap and rotor arm if you think you're down on power and are unsure of the state of these. Mine still ran, just about, after the original centre electrode had bored a hole through the rotor arm after 200k plus miles.
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Forrest For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 9th, 2022, 20:20   #3
360beast
Go redblock or go home

As it is N/A it will have barely enough power to get out of it's own way, no way I'd tow with a 2.0 N/A. I pulled a broken down 2008 Ford Fusion in my 2.3 turbo 940 with about 200hp a few months ago and I wouldn't want to tow much more than that with it but that's probably down to my camshaft choice too as it has lost a bit of low down power. If you're pulling a big trailer then a 2.0 N/A is not the right car to do it with IMO.
360beast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 9th, 2022, 21:31   #4
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

The 2ltr non turbo will tow a good way above the weight limit suggested on a 940. You do need to work the gearbox harder and plan ahead for hills
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to classicswede For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 10th, 2022, 12:51   #5
volvulus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360beast View Post
As it is N/A it will have barely enough power to get out of it's own way, no way I'd tow with a 2.0 N/A. I pulled a broken down 2008 Ford Fusion in my 2.3 turbo 940 with about 200hp a few months ago and I wouldn't want to tow much more than that with it but that's probably down to my camshaft choice too as it has lost a bit of low down power. If you're pulling a big trailer then a 2.0 N/A is not the right car to do it with IMO.
Thank you Luke, that is pretty much what I think.

I have to plan ahead for hills and use the gears without any extra weight. ( better since my top end rebuild after the cam belt failure)

I recently had a very big load on board including two TR engines. It went ok but obviously slower and sluggish.

I will try with a light weight trailer ( if I find one not too far away ) I only need to trailer 15 to 20 miles so it's not like I'm doing great distances with heavy vehicles.

Cheers Ken
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to volvulus For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 10th, 2022, 12:58   #6
volvulus

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicswede View Post
The 2ltr non turbo will tow a good way above the weight limit suggested on a 940. You do need to work the gearbox harder and plan ahead for hills
Thanks for that info. If I ever find a cheap light weight trailer. (nowhere to keep one which can't be spirited away so can't risk an expensive one ) I will find out how well it tows.

cheers Ken
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to volvulus For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 10th, 2022, 13:00   #7
Moomoo
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvulus View Post
Hi all,

I posted on the TR register forum looking for a light weight trailer for sale in my area.... nobody has one but... I said my 940 estate 2ltr normally aspirated would struggle with a heavy trailer.

There are 2 responders saying that they have 2 ltr 940s and they tow no problems. One has a Brian James trailer and tows long distances. "Easy tow"
he says.

What is the consensus of opinion/experience with volvo owners here?

Prior to rebuilding the engine top end last year after the cam belt failure the "tank" struggled up hills. It's better now but I didn't think a 2 ltr 940 was meant for dragging a trailer or a caravan.

Interested to receive your thoughts.

Regards Ken.
Permitted towing weight should be in the handbook!
Old Nov 10th, 2022, 15:27   #8
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moomoo View Post
Permitted towing weight should be in the handbook!
Chassis plate under the bonnet, that is the only one that counts for anything
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10th, 2022, 15:45   #9
Moomoo
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicswede View Post
Chassis plate under the bonnet, that is the only one that counts for anything
My 240 plate only gives the Maximum Gross Vehicle Weight , the Gross Train Weight, is not there, I’m pretty sure.
Old Nov 10th, 2022, 17:53   #10
bob12
bob12

The max recommended towing weight for a 745 with the B200F (2ltr LH2.4 engine) per the Owner's Manual is 1600kg. I guess that it will be the same for a 940. There is a whole page of additional advice!

Bob.
bob12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bob12 For This Useful Post: