Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Service with brake fluid?

Views : 1460

Replies : 24

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 28th, 2022, 23:13   #11
Volvocano

Motor manufacturers like to keep headline service costs down to appeal to fleet/rental buyers - so items such as brake fluid change become recommended options. It's is advisable to change it to reduce the likelihood of corrosion in the system. The older Teves ABS brake modulator fitted to many 10-20ish year old VAG, Ford and Volvo cars is notoriously prone to failure from internal corrosion after 5-6 years - and this corrosion is due to fluid being allowed to become too contaminated with moisture. It's also advisable to (when you get the chance - on wet grass or whatever) exercise your ABS system by jamming on the brake to move the fluid around a bit and unstick the values - as a gently driven car can go years without the ABS being triggered causing valves to seize - although modern systems cycle the valves every time the ignition is turned on.

Before I bleed my brake fluid, I pump all the existing fluid out of the brake fluid reservoir using a fluid extractor. No point flushing the system with partially contaminated fluid! I doubt if the average spanner monkey in a car dealership takes such care. So if my car is still under warranty and is getting a brake fluid service at a dealer I will drain and refill the reservoir myself before I take the car in.

Last edited by Volvocano; Jul 28th, 2022 at 23:29.
Volvocano is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Volvocano For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 29th, 2022, 07:16   #12
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

The issue here is not really if it needs doing, it’s how much they will charge.

I purchased a proper pressure bleeder for around £30 (from memory) and it takes me around 20 mins in the drive.

Frankly at 2 years, given it absorbs moisture why not do it.

I must say however, if I paid anyone to do it I would be budgeting £15 for fluid, and 30 minutes so somewhere in the order of £50 and no more.

For less than £50 I would do it. What are Volvo asking?
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to XC90Mk1 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 29th, 2022, 09:51   #13
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC90Mk1 View Post
I use a pressure bleeder (proper pump up - no doubt not as good as Volvo but good).

30 mins sounds good. I would struggle to do that unless I had ramps (the 90 is ok as front wheels can stay in, rear come off).

15 minutes really is very very impressive!
They'd be doing it on a 2 post ramp and probably crack off all four nipples at once.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 29th, 2022, 09:56   #14
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Agree with most comments on this, as Clan said Volvo recommend it every 2 years but it's optional, in the same way as changing the trans fluid which we all know needs to be done (at some point).

I would also agree that it's age dependent not mileage and I think 4 years is about right.

I would say though that when I've changed fluid at 4 years, and when cloudy, I have always noticed and improvement in brake feel. I once had a 23 year old Discovery and I changed the fluid which must have been at least 10 years old (it was like custard) and the brakes and clutch were transformed.

But on a new V90 it''s not necessary until the 4th annual service.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 29th, 2022, 12:12   #15
TeamG
Master Member

I should add that the crap in the bucket was already in the bucket before I bled the old fluid. The fluid that came out was dark golden and the new fluid put in a light straw colour.

My concern is less the braking performance, but more about moisture in old fluid causing corrosion in the brake components. I’ll keep changing mine, but it only costs a tenner or so for a litre of Dot4 and I regularly remove the wheels/clean behind arch liners, check my brake and suspension components anyway so it’s minimal additional effort.
2008 V50 2.0D SE (sold)
TeamG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TeamG For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 30th, 2022, 08:41   #16
DaveNP
Non VOC Member

It would be interesting to know what Steve was asked to pay for the service and for fluid change. It wouldn't surprise me to find the dealer labour charge for specific tasks is in excess of £100 per hour, but heavily discounted for the basic service to get customers in through the door.
Dare I suggest that those who are debating how frequently/infrequently and how they can do it for cheaper, are probably like me and wouldn't want to pay dealer servicing prices in the first place. But that is in the context that I drive a 24 year old Volvo that I bought for £800 and I've spent maybe another £2000 keeping it going over the 13 years I've had it with most of the work done by me, in contrast we spent £16k on a 1 year old KIA for my wife a couple of years ago and that goes to KIA for servicing, their basic service prices are reasonably cheap, extras are not extortionate and they are quick to honour their 7 year warranty on any problems, if my Volvo were the 'new' car I'd probably pay up for Volvo servicing and get them to do the brake fluid while they were at it.

David
V70 2.5 10v Torslanda Manual 98 Sreg
DaveNP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DaveNP For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 30th, 2022, 12:47   #17
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamG View Post
I should add that the crap in the bucket was already in the bucket before I bled the old fluid. The fluid that came out was dark golden and the new fluid put in a light straw colour.

My concern is less the braking performance, but more about moisture in old fluid causing corrosion in the brake components. I’ll keep changing mine, but it only costs a tenner or so for a litre of Dot4 and I regularly remove the wheels/clean behind arch liners, check my brake and suspension components anyway so it’s minimal additional effort.
That makes much more sense, yes I see!

Mine I notice more a honey dark colour with the new a light straw colour.
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to XC90Mk1 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 30th, 2022, 13:58   #18
Derek UK
VOC Member

2000 V70 P1. I've just been quoted £75. Final bill inc vat and new fluid. Power bleeding really needed to flush through the ABS system which sounds reasonable. I doubt if a Volvo dealer would charge you 1/4 hour labour plus fluid for less than that even if the book says 15 minutes.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Derek UK For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 30th, 2022, 14:06   #19
Martin Cox
VOC Member

For what it's worth, when I last enquired a couple of months ago, my local Volvo dealer charges £60 for a brake fluid change on my 2008 V70.

Having said that, I usually do both cars myself with an old Gunsons Eezibleed and last time I did the job, Halfords had a good deal on Comma DOT 4 fluid. I think it may have been £20 for 4 litres of the stuff. You can then afford to be generous when replacing the fluid. I usually do it every other year.

I usually try and crack open the bleed nipples at least one a year which seems to prevent them from seizing up.

Whether it's necessary to do it that often is open to debate: my 1998 V70 after 232000 miles is still on the original master cylinder and hydraulic ABS components with no sign of any trouble to date. Not conclusive proof of anything but I like to think I've loaded the odds in my favour.

Martin
Martin Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Martin Cox For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 30th, 2022, 15:41   #20
ITSv40
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Cox View Post

Whether it's necessary to do it that often is open to debate: my 1998 V70 after 232000 miles is still on the original master cylinder and hydraulic ABS components with no sign of any trouble to date. Not conclusive proof of anything but I like to think I've loaded the odds in my favour.

Martin
Same here. My previous V40 reached 370,000mls with no brake issues. As a matter of course I always remove the calipers, expand the cylinders and rewind them, clean and lubricate the pad mating surfaces and slide pins. Check and lubricate the handbrake cables. This is all part of the annual service and check over before the MOT. Change the fluid every two years. The only brake components that were changed were disks and pads and all still good mechanically when rust killed the car.
ITSv40 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ITSv40 For This Useful Post: