Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D5 Limp woes!

Views : 600

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 6th, 2022, 15:07   #1
Oak

Default D5 Limp woes!

Afternoon everyone - I wonder if anyone might be able to offer any advice?

I have a 2008 MY (57 UK Reg) P3 D5 185 E4 Auto V70.

Last month it cut out on the way back from France. Recovery got it going again but it was in limp mode and has been ever since.

There's one recurring error in VIDA - ECM-P019300 - Fuel Pressure Rail Sensor High.

What I have discovered and tried so far...

New Fuel Rail Pressure sensor (Genuine Bosch) - no change.
Found a small fray on the cable supplying sensor and repaired - no change
Replaced the fuel pressure valve (second hand part but assured working) - made an awful racket - swapped back.
New connection plug on fuel pressure sensor - no change.
Measured voltages with sensor connected and disconnected - all three pins appear to be 4.93V - Even on the pin that "should" be ground?!

If I disconnect the sensor completely I get the same result - the engine is STILL in limp mode and same error (P019300) in VIDA.

I've beared back the loom/conduit and can't see any other wiring issues but haven't peeled the whole thing back.

Has anyone got any ideas what to try next? I've now been off the road for over a month and being an old car I'm anxious not to throw parts/money at it without a definitive plan.

Engine sounds fine, and rev's easily, but I'll not exceed 30mph up hill if I'm lucky. Load off downhill I can get up to 60 ish but as soon as any slight incline - screwed again!

Any advice and thoughts I'd appreciate
Old Jul 6th, 2022, 16:55   #2
brutusmotorsport

Default fuel

very possibly a bad ground to the fuel pressure sensor.
brutusmotorsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6th, 2022, 17:27   #3
Oak

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutusmotorsport View Post
very possibly a bad ground to the fuel pressure sensor.
Thank you so much for replying. I have tried giving it an earth directly from the battery, but I will try this again and double check which pin I used.

Thanks again
Old Jul 6th, 2022, 19:44   #4
Simmy
Premier Member

do you have any other codes showing have you deleted the fault codes dose the fault code re ocour before the engine is started? when ignition in pos2 or only when engine is started?
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6th, 2022, 19:59   #5
Oak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmy View Post
do you have any other codes showing have you deleted the fault codes dose the fault code re ocour before the engine is started? when ignition in pos2 or only when engine is started?
Thanks Simmy. Good question! I think the error appears on igtII before the engine starts and with engine running, but I’ll double check.

Yes, it’s the only DTC showing really. Others are AQS (air quality sensor) which I believe it’s unusual if that isn’t showing! And then some complaints about windows not working (they all do)

Thanks again for replying!
Old Jul 6th, 2022, 20:36   #6
Simmy
Premier Member

door faults are usualy faulty heater elements on door mirrors report back with your findings
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote