Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Sensus Updating!

Views : 852

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 4th, 2022, 02:24   #1
SnineT
Extrahumanestrial

Default Sensus Updating!

Posting this as as usual the previous owner didn't bother and nor did my Selekt dealer so here's how it is so far,

1st download took a while for the UK map 2GB but once down I slipped it on to a USB stick G4 16GB USB2 flavour, I then turned on the Sensus and plugged the stick into the port surrounded by the white line as this is the port they say to plug into using Carplay or AA, i.e more data related rather than media, this took about 45 minutes to load V1386 until the little cursor stopped and I was then informed to turn the car off for the update to complete, job done! I went for a cruise while it was brewing btw,

I now have the rest of Europe downloaded over a few sessions on the PC and it's now taking over an hour to put on a USB3 64GB stick, I've got it in a USB2 port as the USB3 port was dropping out so regularly I thought load slow load cooler (check the heat on your stick when transferring files) how this one will install is anyones guess but the stick regularly pulls 80 mb/s reading so hopefully that will help (USB is borked right now thx 2 Win 11) I thought I had bad sticks but all brands I own seem slow writing and there's plenty of complaints in Windows forums, I like Kingston ones as they last, I prefer a Sandisk one but I've had early deaths with them and once you've written to them sending them in for a claim is neither worth it or advised as they can be re-activated under the right conditions, Sandisk generally doesn't break it locks itself to protect your now unavailable files

I've also pulled the Voice file for later and the Gracenote one however the Gracenote one appears older than the car,

I'll update how things went in due course with the 54 GB map file, I'm hoping like others have mentioned it loads as quick or quicker than the simple 2 GB map did,

If anyone else wants to add their experiences of updates feel free to post below as there's nothing worse than waiting and wondering if it's failed or just likes to stroll gently, USB brands comments welcomed as well.
SnineT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4th, 2022, 19:23   #2
SnineT
Extrahumanestrial

Left out a couple of bits,

16 GB was FAT32 2GB Map 45 mins to install

64 GB is exFAT not recognised see below,

Ok that didn't go to plan it borked at the 54GB maps, I've just done the voice update which took 20 minutes to install and am now redoing the maps as NTFS although I think the problem was not taking the individual files out of the folder and refilling the usb stick is slow, had I been on the ball I could've just moved them over in a new window but only realised that after I'd cleaned the stick off,

Currently the car shows no voice control but I expect that to resolve after the car has been shut down for a few minutes as things normally need a reboot to install fully, yup it's back, SAT NAV! raising fan, I give up!

Last edited by SnineT; Jul 4th, 2022 at 22:02.
Old Jul 5th, 2022, 12:42   #3
SnineT
Extrahumanestrial

Finally the large Europe Map is going in,

64GB stick, format to exFat and remove both holding folders from the download, you basically need to drag the files onto the usb stick root not the yellow folders they are contained in,

Fire up ignition, select Nav on the sensus insert usb stick into usb port that is framed with a white line,

Was at 44% after 15 minutes of idling so the whole thing should be about 45 mins again.

Problem appeared to be either not taking the files out of the folder or my other USB stick wasn't reading in the car port so if you get this issue try another stick if it won't get recognised when plugging it in.
Old Jul 5th, 2022, 17:30   #4
SnineT
Extrahumanestrial

Ok bang up to date for a few days

The stick swap worked, formatted to exFat,

2 hours to move the files from the yellow folder to the root of the stick on a PC,

Verify the download,

Take to car turn ign on and wait for Sensus to boot fully,

Select the nav screen in full and insert the stick,

You should get an install message, nav is locked at this point, % circle is shown,

45 mins later it's done but you will have navigation not available on screen,

Turn off car, remove stick, get out and lock car,

Wait a couple of mins and unlock car and get in,

Sensus boots and a banner confirms the maps installed,

Next time you leave the car the banner will delete itself,

Maps were out of date when I collected the car as the version was published last November, 2 days and counting.
The Following User Says Thank You to SnineT For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 8th, 2022, 15:10   #5
borgman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnineT View Post
Finally the large Europe Map is going in,

64GB stick, format to exFat and remove both holding folders from the download, you basically need to drag the files onto the usb stick root not the yellow folders they are contained in,

Fire up ignition, select Nav on the sensus insert usb stick into usb port that is framed with a white line,

Was at 44% after 15 minutes of idling so the whole thing should be about 45 mins again.

Problem appeared to be either not taking the files out of the folder or my other USB stick wasn't reading in the car port so if you get this issue try another stick if it won't get recognised when plugging it in.
Hi,
Did you empty the HDD2 and HDD3 folders ? What about the APL/IDX/VRDB folders within those?

Last edited by borgman; Jul 8th, 2022 at 15:14.
borgman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8th, 2022, 15:35   #6
SnineT
Extrahumanestrial

Quote:
Originally Posted by borgman View Post
Hi,
Did you empty the HDD2 and HDD3 folders ? What about the APL/IDX/VRDB folders within those?

Not sure what you mean tbh,

Are you talking about the stick or the download?

If it's the stick, you simply re-format it to exFat for the big one or Fat32 for the small one assuming your not using a bigger stick for the small update, Windows won't do Fat32 on sticks bigger than 32 GB iirc, it is crucial the stick only has the download files on it, don't add to an already half full stick,

With the small 2GB I took the package out of the container folder and moved it over to the stick,

With the 54GB one I had to take all files out of the container package and move them over to the stick, and go make numerous cups of tea.

The small one has 2 folders in it and a "can't remember exactly" ifo type file, the big one has 55 individual ifo type files within it, select all and drag over, hth.

Since noticed yours is Sensus 2014, mines newer so maybe not the same thing.

Last edited by SnineT; Jul 8th, 2022 at 17:09.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SnineT For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 31st, 2022, 08:36   #7
yostumpy

Lipscombes Volvo, updated mine ( xc70 2016) for free when I took in for a service.
Old May 17th, 2023, 20:01   #8
Jaddak

To the OP & others following this thread, be warned the latest 2023 update took me around 4 hours!!!!

In 2022 this took about 40 minutes...

There are also new error messages & challenges I haven't had in previous years which I listed in this thread.

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...us+2014+update
Jaddak is offline   Reply With Quote