Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Engine management light on after re-fuelling

Views : 1887

Replies : 21

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 2nd, 2022, 10:10   #1
ButterBean

Cool Engine management light on after re-fuelling

Hi guys

Can somebody please help me with a question regarding my 2004 S40 2435cc UK petrol car.

Car has been running great. Cleaned out the MAF a few weeks ago with some CRC spray and did a full service with Motul 300V oil and Bosch filter.

Went to fill up with premium Esso fuel and started her up. The engine management light came on and the cooling fan is also now staying on.

My fault code reader won't communicate with this car for some reason. Anyone got ideas to the problem please. I need to buy a new reader, preferably a Bluetooth one. Is there one out there that's good for the S40. Don't mind paying up to £300 for one that will read and clear the codes.

Cheers
ButterBean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2022, 10:23   #2
Simmy
Premier Member

vida is the best for your car. clearing codes will not fix your car the codes are a link to the problem. vida includes lots of info on other things than codes like how long the fault has been active when it first happend/ wireing diagrams / parts list ect . if you run a volvo. vida is a must have .
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Simmy For This Useful Post:
Old May 2nd, 2022, 10:34   #3
ButterBean

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmy View Post
vida is the best for your car. clearing codes will not fix your car the codes are a link to the problem. vida includes lots of info on other things than codes like how long the fault has been active when it first happend/ wireing diagrams / parts list ect . if you run a volvo. vida is a must have .
Thanks for the info mate. I've never heard of Vida to be honest, I'm guessing it's similar to the Vagcom system that VW use if I remember correctly. Where do I buy this from please
Old May 2nd, 2022, 20:00   #4
Simmy
Premier Member

you can buy vida on line. but you will need somthing to connect most use dice. there are several options but you need to be fairly computer savvy to get it up and running. or buy a full working set up it can be a challenge but well worth it in the end and save you hundreds of pounds .
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Simmy For This Useful Post:
Old May 2nd, 2022, 21:05   #5
ButterBean

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmy View Post
you can buy vida on line. but you will need somthing to connect most use dice. there are several options but you need to be fairly computer savvy to get it up and running. or buy a full working set up it can be a challenge but well worth it in the end and save you hundreds of pounds .
Thanks for the info. I'm not computer savvy really. Everything is done on my phone these days. Have you got a link to the full working set up please. I'll go out and buy a laptop that will run it.

Even though I'm having issues with this S40. I have to say, there's nothing like to me the sound of the 5 cylinder engine. Reminds me when I purchased new a 850 T5 estate that I wish I'd kept. It was a 94 plate. Did a search the other day on it, looks like it went overseas! Would love to know where she went.
Old May 2nd, 2022, 21:07   #6
ButterBean

That should say
.. 1994
Old May 2nd, 2022, 22:06   #7
Dancake
Premier Member

Did you close the fuel cap before starting the engine?
Dancake is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dancake For This Useful Post:
Old May 2nd, 2022, 22:31   #8
ButterBean

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancake View Post
Did you close the fuel cap before starting the engine?
Yes... Does it make a difference? Put posh petrol in her an all...
Old May 3rd, 2022, 10:25   #9
Rocinante
Master Member

Regarding Vida, Cheshired5 used to offer a full set up, but currently appears to be "taking a break".

As per this thread.
https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=253191

Post 1041,on the last page of the same thread, said in the absence of Cheshired5, he went here (but he does talk about set up involved):
https://vvde.info/wp/sales-page/

Also, some guidance here :
https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...highlight=vida

Last edited by Rocinante; May 3rd, 2022 at 11:34.
Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rocinante For This Useful Post:
Old May 3rd, 2022, 13:11   #10
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterBean View Post
Hi guys

Can somebody please help me with a question regarding my 2004 S40 2435cc UK petrol car.

Car has been running great. Cleaned out the MAF a few weeks ago with some CRC spray and did a full service with Motul 300V oil and Bosch filter.

Went to fill up with premium Esso fuel and started her up. The engine management light came on and the cooling fan is also now staying on.

My fault code reader won't communicate with this car for some reason. Anyone got ideas to the problem please. I need to buy a new reader, preferably a Bluetooth one. Is there one out there that's good for the S40. Don't mind paying up to £300 for one that will read and clear the codes.

Cheers
the icarsoft v2.0 or V3.0 is quite a comprehensive diagnostic tool and has vovo options , it does live readouts and graphs too . very reasonably priced too , and updatable.

Tags
cooling fan, engine 2.4lt, fault code reader