Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

3rd party side steps for XC90 R-Design

Views : 1085

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 28th, 2022, 14:45   #1
MrM83

Default 3rd party side steps for XC90 R-Design

Keen to hear from anyone who has fitted non- Volvo side steps to their XC90 R-Design. I have a 2021 Recharge if it makes a difference.

I don’t need or want to spend the cash on the Volvo illuminated ones, which seems to be the side steps of choice if they are desired. I understand many don’t like them etc etc. My 5 year old wrestles with my sills each time he gets in and out the car, my 2 year old soon will and my wife is even worse!

Just looking for some simple DIY bolt on jobs that look half decent. Have posted in SwedeSpeed too as many manufacturers are based in the US. Brands like OMAC, Romik etc, hoping someone there might have experience. Many UK places claim their products won’t fit RD due to a wider sill (vs Inscription and Momentum I guess), can anyone verify the RD had a wider sill?

Anyway, would love to hear from you if you have non Volvo side steps fitted.

Many thanks
MrM83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28th, 2022, 16:07   #2
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Not directly compatible but I got side steps for my 2012 and the 4 and 5 year old I carried in them (at the time - they are older now) found it considerably easier, you will certainly find them great to have.

I purchased mine about 4 years ago from fast lane styling and they were very very substantial and excellent quality for a fraction of the Volvo price.
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to XC90Mk1 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 29th, 2022, 12:08   #3
craig76

I got the Volvo illuminated side steps for my21 XC90 fitted last month, after looking at after market sills, I couldn’t find ones that looked as good as the Volvo ones, they had a deal on where I got £4-500 off, so got them fitted from Volvo for £1099. Probs not what you want to hear but I just thought the Volvo ones are by far better. And yeah they are definitely good for the little ones getting in and out of the car.
craig76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29th, 2022, 16:26   #4
MrM83

Thanks, appreciate your thoughts. Part of my issue is the look of the Volvo ones (aside from cost). I have a Saville grey R Design, which no chrome or metal trim on show, so was hoping to get some dark grey / black steps to avoid the metallic finish of the OEM ones.

Direct4x4 have been really helpful, and have a great looking black pair, but apparently their bracket design doesnt fit the R-Design sill and were quite adamant the sill was about an inch lower than the Inscription which is where the problem lies.

Ive looked at the install guide for the Volvo side steps and much like fitting a towbar, it looks like theres a number of bits of trim that get removed (and Im guessing binned) so that removing the steps in the future for whatever reason would be tricky.
Old Mar 30th, 2022, 14:14   #5
volvocamper
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrM83 View Post
Thanks, appreciate your thoughts. Part of my issue is the look of the Volvo ones (aside from cost). I have a Saville grey R Design, which no chrome or metal trim on show, so was hoping to get some dark grey / black steps to avoid the metallic finish of the OEM ones.

Direct4x4 have been really helpful, and have a great looking black pair, but apparently their bracket design doesnt fit the R-Design sill and were quite adamant the sill was about an inch lower than the Inscription which is where the problem lies.

Ive looked at the install guide for the Volvo side steps and much like fitting a towbar, it looks like theres a number of bits of trim that get removed (and Im guessing binned) so that removing the steps in the future for whatever reason would be tricky.
I know that on the mK 1 XC90’s the R-Design sill was lower and so while Volvo said their own steps would not fit, they could be made to fit with longer fixing bolts and a pacer to clear the lower sills. I was not aware the sill on the mk2 XC90 was lower tbh but could the 3rd part steps also be made to fit with, for example longer fixing bolts?
volvocamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31st, 2022, 08:01   #6
MrM83

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvocamper View Post
I know that on the mK 1 XC90’s the R-Design sill was lower and so while Volvo said their own steps would not fit, they could be made to fit with longer fixing bolts and a pacer to clear the lower sills. I was not aware the sill on the mk2 XC90 was lower tbh but could the 3rd part steps also be made to fit with, for example longer fixing bolts?
Possibly..... Ive been studying the installation manuals do try and get a grasp. A number of after mkt solutions require the removal of the jack pads, which I cant say im overly keen on, even if there are other points that could be used. Coming back to Direct4x4, their offering looks solid and well thought out, but part of the bracket that fixes to the chassis slips between the chassis and the sill, and its design is contoured to fit to the chassis. The bonus is it fits around the jack pads. There looks to be surplus on the bolt threads to put a spacer, but this introduces other issues. Namely how well the bracket would fit to the car, as it would likely no longer slip between the sill and chassis, and the protection plate underneath the car would likely not fit back correctly.

I can only assume there is little demand for side steps on the XC90.
Old Mar 31st, 2022, 11:11   #7
familymangreg
Premier Member

Quote:
Appreciate your concern here, but have you actually seen the side steps a more recent R-Designs like yours with the black trim? I have a pine grey R-Design with the side step and like the finish. They have black treads too, so don't look that stand out. They work well with he two tone black and polished wheels.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_7080.jpeg (219.9 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_7094.jpeg (338.1 KB, 93 views)
Old Mar 31st, 2022, 19:28   #8
Dohnut

First time I've seen them illuminated! Looks great.

I'm liking the mud flaps too and thinking of adding to mine when it arrives. Price puts me off somewhat though and I don't even want to think what Volvo will charge to fit.
Old Aug 15th, 2022, 07:32   #9
MrM83

I may be facing having some more time on my hands and am revisiting the side step idea which I’ve done nothing about. @Dohnut I bought and then fitted the OEM Volvo mudflaps and they are very simple to fit, you shouldn’t have too much of an issue.

Regarding side steps I’ve spoken to many third party providers and some say they will fit no problem (not sure all are qualified to say so quite so quickly) others say they will be an issue due to the different body trim of an R Design vs Inscription, more specifically the “extra” protruding sill trim piece at the very bottom. A number of third party ones fit by anchoring into various holes underneath the car, and some require the rubber jacking points to be removed in order to fit. I’m not sure how big a problem this might be in practice.

Giving this thread a little bump in case anyone has fitted non OEM side steps to an SPA XC90 R Design and can provide any insight.
Old Aug 15th, 2022, 07:56   #10
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
I may be facing having some more time on my hands and am revisiting the side step idea which I’ve done nothing about. @Dohnut I bought and then fitted the OEM Volvo mudflaps and they are very simple to fit, you shouldn’t have too much of an issue.

Regarding side steps I’ve spoken to many third party providers and some say they will fit no problem (not sure all are qualified to say so quite so quickly) others say they will be an issue due to the different body trim of an R Design vs Inscription, more specifically the “extra” protruding sill trim piece at the very bottom. A number of third party ones fit by anchoring into various holes underneath the car, and some require the rubber jacking points to be removed in order to fit. I’m not sure how big a problem this might be in practice.

Giving this thread a little bump in case anyone has fitted non OEM side steps to an SPA XC90 R Design and can provide any insight.
I note one of the previous posters comments regarding fitting longer bolts on the Mk1. This is something I was aware of however when I fitted mine (Non-R design so not an issue), I noted that the bolts are responsible for holding the front subframe in. Accordingly if you do go down the route of increased lengths etc you really need to be careful. Subframe bolt failure would be catastrophic.
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote