Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New (to me) 1963 Volvo 122

Views : 640952

Replies : 1361

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 7th, 2022, 16:54   #11
dgbalfour
VOC Member

Best of luck with this Alan! There was a bit of a lump forming in my throat as I watched you drive away but I'm glad my (now former) car is in such good hands.

This forum has been invaluable over my years as an Amazon owner, so my most sincere thanks go to all whom have helped and contributed their wisdom to my various threads.

David
dgbalfour is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dgbalfour For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 7th, 2022, 17:08   #12
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
Super duper, exactly the advice I need. I'm guessing it is easy enough to remove the screen without breaking it?

I'm wondering whether it would be possible to fit a modern rubber seal like the RB has and so banish leaks forever?

Alan
Apparently so Alan :

https://classicvolvorestoration.eu/p...-volvo-amazon/

It's a USA site so the price came up in US$ at first. Then a pop-up appeared - "It would appear you're in the UK, switch to UK site?"

Clicked Yes and the only thing that really changed was the currency - to Euros!

They also list the rear screen rubber, door/side window glass rubbers etc.
Other Amazon owners might be interested in that too!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 7th, 2022, 17:28   #13
Moomoo
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Apparently so Alan :

It's a USA site so the price came up in US$ at first. Then a pop-up appeared - "It would appear you're in the UK, switch to UK site?"

Handy spot, that mate!😋
Moomoo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Moomoo For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 7th, 2022, 17:40   #14
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Apparently so Alan :

Brookhouse sell the rubber seals; https://www.classicvolvoparts.co.uk/...ar_Windscreens

With the price and hassle of now getting parts from the EU you are best off contacting Brookhouse, Simon will be able to get the parts and will work out cheaper.
Old Jan 7th, 2022, 19:20   #15
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgbalfour View Post
Best of luck with this Alan! There was a bit of a lump forming in my throat as I watched you drive away but I'm glad my (now former) car is in such good hands.

This forum has been invaluable over my years as an Amazon owner, so my most sincere thanks go to all whom have helped and contributed their wisdom to my various threads.

David
Thank you David,

The Amazon is a really nice car. We were talking when I got the motor car home and concluded that I'm ever forced to choose between the RB and Aunt Maud that will be a really difficult choice!

Very best wishes, do keep in touch.

Alan
Old Jan 7th, 2022, 20:03   #16
Othen
Premier Member

Default Aunt Maud At Home

I collected Aunt Maud from David's house today. I really enjoyed the drive back home - it was about 30 miles along the A6 and A14, so mixed single and dual carriageways with few villages thrown in for good measure. It was very much the 1960s driving experience, but none the worse for that. Everything works more or less the way it should - the brakes could probably do with a bit of improvement (probably just the drums need taking apart and putting back together properly - and maybe the hydraulics bleeding), the front suspension and steering need a bit of a refresh and a set of new tyres might be a good idea. Apart from those things everything is pretty good.

The Amazon looks pretty cool next to the RB - I would be really hard pushed to choose between them (which is a strong statement - I really like the RB):

David kindly donated some really useful spares to the project. I need to get a new tyre for the spare (I think a 165/80R15 will be the nearest modern equivalent that will fit) - probably tomorrow. The spares pile also included a rear hub puller, so I'll be able to check out those drums.

Aunt Maud is a mighty fine looking motor car:

... I'm still a bit concerned about the rust in the OS front chassis leg. I had a quick look around before it got dark and regret to report that hole is quite significant. I'll probably end up replacing about 6" of the horizontal surface but I think the vertical walls may be okay. In that case I think I'll get away with a welded patch plus a bit of reinforcing. I'll have a better look with it up on some ramps tomorrow.

There is a bit of rust appearing just behind the OS wheel arch:

... I'll scrub that down and give it a good coat of Hamerite paint for the time being. As Dave said above, I'll wait until all the repairs are done then paint everything that needs doing at the same time.

I really like the interior of the motor car, almost everything is in really good order:

... the only exception is the dash pad which is split in a few places. Brookhouse Volvo sells a replacement for about £250, which is a bit steep for some foam and vinyl plus a tube of glue. I'm tending to think I may leave it as part of the vehicle's patina.

So far my list of jobs to do on GAM (more or less in order) is:

1. Fix the chassis rail.
2. Get a spare tyre fitted.
3. Fix the windscreen seal with some black silicone (see how effective it is).
4. Fit a Bluetooth receiver/amplifier module and some speakers hidden under the dash - the motor car has never had a radio fitted and still has the original delete plate. To fit a radio now would ruin it.
5. Check the fuel sender and float - the gauge jumps around a bit at the moment.
6. Fix the oil leak - although strangely I couldn't find much oil under the engine this eve. I've left a sheet of cardboard underneath to see if it has indeed fixed itself. I rather suspect the rubber seal on the oil filler cap may need changing (that solved the problem on Delores - the P1800ES).
7. Oil/filters/plugs/points/coolant service.
8. Check out the rear brakes.
9. Rebuild the front suspension.
10. Patch paint any rusty bodywork with Hamerite - until I decide what to do about redecoration.

I really like this Amazon - I think it will be a really interesting project.

Alan

Last edited by Othen; Jan 7th, 2022 at 20:15. Reason: Grammar.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 7th, 2022, 20:18   #17
Volvo_133
VOC member

Default new amazon

Your purchase looks like a good one!
The fuel gauge fluctuating is normal with these cars when your on the move.
Provided it is steady when parked it is nothing to worry about.
Move on to the next job!
Volvo_133 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Volvo_133 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 7th, 2022, 20:23   #18
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvo_133 View Post
Your purchase looks like a good one!
The fuel gauge fluctuating is normal with these cars when your on the move.
Provided it is steady when parked it is nothing to worry about.
Move on to the next job!
Ah! Thank you so much for that, it will save me half a day trying to fix something that isn't broken.

I topped up the tank on the way home and the gauge works fine (when static).

Alan
Old Jan 7th, 2022, 21:17   #19
Snow White

Smile Gam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
I've been dabbling in the 200 section with the Royal Barge (a 1980 244) for several years, and have occasionally ventured into this section for maintenance advice on a P1800ES I look after (Delores). Now I have joined the Amazon set - this is my new project.

Yesterday morn the RB and I drove down to Bedford to see his Great Aunt Maud - she is a generation or so older than the RB, being a 1963 122 - B18D motor with a M41 gearbox and D type overdrive (an addition). GAM's owner was a thoroughly decent chap (David - a lapsed member of this forum).

It was love at first sight for the RB and his GAM, so I'm really pleased to say the motor car will be coming home to live with us today.

The motor car (ABD984A) appeared in the press a decade ago:

GAM is very elegant for its years, but has a few issues which make it unsuitable for David to persevere with, but entirely apposite for me (being retired with plenty of time and space for one more project before my dotage). The biggest problem is a hole big enough to get my index finger into in the OS front chassis rail. I'll get the car up on some ramps on Saturday and have a better look. I'm not all that concerned about this because that box section is made of pretty thick steel (I would guess about 2 mm) and doesn't show. I'll cut out the bad stuff and ugly weld some new stuff in the next couple of weeks.

The bottoms of the rear doors are rusted through - the right side worse than the left. The good news in that GAM came with two pristine rear doors (from dry state USA):

... I still have a choice - either fix the existing doors and patch paint (plus sell the pristine ones) or have the pristine pair painted, swap over the furniture and fit them. I see that Brookhouse Volvo sell repair panels for the bottoms of the rear doors for about £100/side, which would fix the problem, but then I'd still have to get some redecorating done, which would cost much the same as having the US doors sprayed. I'll take a view on that issue some time next in the next few weeks.

The windscreen seal leaks a bit on the passenger side where the rubber has perished. I'm thinking I'll probably try a silicone sealant fix from the outside rather than have the screen removed as the chance of breaking it would be high - and that would be a catastrophe.

The paint under the windscreen on the driver's side of the windscreen has blown out a bit - so there may be some rust underneath. I'll wait for better weather and have a better look in the spring - then take a view on what to do.

There is an oil leak - a pet hate of mine. It looks like it may be coming from the gearbox, but I'll have a better look at the weekend. It is all so simple under the motor car that I could probably have the gearbox off in an hour, so even that wouldn't be much of a drama.

There will of course be a myriad of bits and pieces that I discover over the next couple of months. David described the car well and pointed me to the major faults.

The front suspension looks like it could do with taking apart and new bushes, dampers and springs putting in (a set of nearly new springs came with the motor car) - I bought a bearing press recently so that will only be a day or so's work. I watched a very good Wheeler Dealers episode the other day where Ant did exactly that work on a 122 - it looks easy enough.

The rest looks good. The paint is generally good, the rest of the body looks fine, the motor pulls well with no smoking, the gearbox and clutch work fine, the brakes will lock the wheels (either good brakes or rubbish tyres), the electrics work(it has an alternator conversion and halogen headlamps).

Overall I'm feeling smug - GAM is exactly what I was looking for. This may be my last project, I have 18 months until my son finishes his A levels and this is the ideal thing: a runner and rider with a bit of work required to make it nice.

This bit is important: the project aim and scope. I am not (under any circumstances) going to do a full restoration - that would cost £15,000 and take 3 years - and I have no desire to own a show car. I have 18 months and about £1,500 to make a nice driver. It will never be as practical as the RB (which is staying of course) but I think it will be fun and satisfying to make get GAM up to scratch and perhaps make a few subtle improvements.

Any advice on the Aunt Maud project would be gratefully received.

:-)

Alan

PS. I have insured the GAM (One Call with whom I already insure the RB) for only £97 - including breakdown insurance plus a £40 loyalty discount off the RB's renewal premium in February!

PPS. No apologies for plagiarising much of the above from a preview I'd posted in the 200 section previously.
—————-
You are fortunate to find such a lovely looking and interesting car, I’m sure David will miss her but she is in good hands.
Snow White is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Snow White For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 8th, 2022, 03:42   #20
c1800
Master Member

Lovely looking motor, with a bit of history!

Lots of jobs to keep you busy.

“ Fix the windscreen seal with some black silicone”

In regard to that do ensure you’ve got a silicone that is not acetic acid based (vinegar smell). The acetic acid will rot the metal.

Here’s one discussion on topic, an internet search will provide more…..

http://blog.u-pro.co.uk/en/how-to-ch...icone-sealants

Looking forward to your updates.
c1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to c1800 For This Useful Post: