Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V60 B3 12v battery critical charging fault

Views : 15677

Replies : 56

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 9th, 2021, 12:16   #11
techwatcher
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCV60 View Post
One thing I have noted, despite how much braking and regeneration the little battery symbol level on the dash, never really appears to improve.

Should the battery symbol have come full on collection from the dealership?
The battery symbol is just a symbol and not a battery charge gauge. Its level does not change. It's there to indicate when the car is regenerating, with a blue arrow animation when braking.
Old May 25th, 2021, 22:18   #12
brazenskies

Despite the "Fix", this issue appeared for me again on Friday just as I packed the whole family up for a weekend away.

To make matters worse, Volvo Assist couldn't come until the next day as they had no-one in the area to help me, and it was going to take Enterprise up to 10 hours to deliver me a replacement car while mine was recovered.

What a bag of ****e. Collected it again from Volvo today. They've simply applied the same fix from the service bulletin again.

In 20 years of motoring, this car is the only one I've owned that's completely failed on me in this way. Gutted.
brazenskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2021, 22:20   #13
brazenskies

I meant to add that I did get a replacement car eventually. A 2020 XC40 T3. What an absolutely atrocious engine that is. Reminded me of driving a 1.0L Corsa from the 90s
Old May 25th, 2021, 22:33   #14
Chudy85
Volvo family member

This is why when i did my research before purchase Volvo I went for D4 to avoid any those issues. Too many people are complaining for those batteries unfortunately.
Chudy85 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chudy85 For This Useful Post:
Old May 26th, 2021, 22:22   #15
MCV60
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brazenskies View Post
Despite the "Fix", this issue appeared for me again on Friday just as I packed the whole family up for a weekend away.

To make matters worse, Volvo Assist couldn't come until the next day as they had no-one in the area to help me, and it was going to take Enterprise up to 10 hours to deliver me a replacement car while mine was recovered.

What a bag of ****e. Collected it again from Volvo today. They've simply applied the same fix from the service bulletin again.

In 20 years of motoring, this car is the only one I've owned that's completely failed on me in this way. Gutted.

Out of curiosity what was the ‘fix’?
As I am still awaiting a call back from the dealer for a back order part. That should take 10mins to fix.
Old Jun 9th, 2021, 16:45   #16
brazenskies

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCV60 View Post
Out of curiosity what was the ‘fix’?
As I am still awaiting a call back from the dealer for a back order part. That should take 10mins to fix.
Apologies for the delayed reply. Despite the Volvo Assist guy telling me there was a part involved, Volvo Edinburgh followed a service bulletin which outlined a software update only.

Have you heard anything yet?
Old Jun 12th, 2021, 19:08   #17
MCV60
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brazenskies View Post
Apologies for the delayed reply. Despite the Volvo Assist guy telling me there was a part involved, Volvo Edinburgh followed a service bulletin which outlined a software update only.

Have you heard anything yet?
Visited the dealership today. The part replaced was apparently a ‘switch’ of sorts connects to the battery under the bonnet. All very vague. Took 1:30hr.
Apparently what the Volvo assistant technician did was rebooted with battery from the rear to overide the system. I’m non the wiser. Just hope it’s fixed.
Old Jun 12th, 2021, 21:20   #18
Ltmv60

Hi guy’s. Picked up a new V60 b3 a month back and unfortunately had the same issue on 3 separate occasions, all while my partner was driving the car, twice with our 12 month old son in the vehicle and the third time when she was on her way to work at 5.30am!
So first occasion she went to start the vehicle and fault appeared, called Volvo out but by time the mechanic had turned up, fault had gone, so nothing done.
Week later fault happens again. This time fault is still there when mechanic arrives, he say’s its a known fault and bad on Volvo for selling us the car as they know about the issue. He fit’s a copper part to the battery that is designed to fix the issue, resets the software and car is back up and running again.
Until the following morning when my partner sets out to work, gets a mile down the road and fault happens again! Manage to get the car back home and another phone call to Volvo, this time they arrange for recovery to local dealership as it’s 3rd time.
Volvo had the car 4 day’s ordered the same part that had already been fitted, despite my partner telling them it had already been done. So had it an extra day. Told my partner it was an issue with the conductive pins on the battery so changed those. Had it back 3 day’s and no fault yet, so fingers crossed issue is now solved. Just got to take car back in now as one of my alloy’s now has a scuff on it that wasn’t there before.
Ltmv60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13th, 2021, 12:03   #19
Mm1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltmv60 View Post
Hi guy’s. Picked up a new V60 b3 a month back and unfortunately had the same issue on 3 separate occasions, all while my partner was driving the car, twice with our 12 month old son in the vehicle and the third time when she was on her way to work at 5.30am!
So first occasion she went to start the vehicle and fault appeared, called Volvo out but by time the mechanic had turned up, fault had gone, so nothing done.
Week later fault happens again. This time fault is still there when mechanic arrives, he say’s its a known fault and bad on Volvo for selling us the car as they know about the issue. He fit’s a copper part to the battery that is designed to fix the issue, resets the software and car is back up and running again.
Until the following morning when my partner sets out to work, gets a mile down the road and fault happens again! Manage to get the car back home and another phone call to Volvo, this time they arrange for recovery to local dealership as it’s 3rd time.
Volvo had the car 4 day’s ordered the same part that had already been fitted, despite my partner telling them it had already been done. So had it an extra day. Told my partner it was an issue with the conductive pins on the battery so changed those. Had it back 3 day’s and no fault yet, so fingers crossed issue is now solved. Just got to take car back in now as one of my alloy’s now has a scuff on it that wasn’t there before.
Wow that sounds like a horrific experience. My anxiety would be through the roof every journey.

How many trips have you done on the whole? I got my B3 about a month ago and done quite a lot of trips of varying length with a few gaps. Just trying to work out whether my cars a ticking time bomb or if I’ve got lucky.
Mm1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14th, 2021, 20:13   #20
Ltmv60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mm1988 View Post
Wow that sounds like a horrific experience. My anxiety would be through the roof every journey.

How many trips have you done on the whole? I got my B3 about a month ago and done quite a lot of trips of varying length with a few gaps. Just trying to work out whether my cars a ticking time bomb or if I’ve got lucky.
It had just done 500 miles when first happened, and just over 700 the third time. I’m not sure whether you’ve got lucky or I’ve just been unlucky, only time will tell I suppose. To make matters worse my partner was loading shopping into the boot earlier today when the electric tailgate decided to close on her, nearlly decapitating her in the process. So she is very quickly falling out of love with the car
Ltmv60 is offline   Reply With Quote