Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V90 CC drive mode switch retrofit

Views : 6652

Replies : 51

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 10th, 2022, 19:24   #31
chemkay

It's a 2018, so SPA XC60. I was really excited to get my PIN and start configuring stuff because one drawback of Volvo is the customization aspect, but it seems VDASH needs time to catch up to the SPA models.
Old Aug 10th, 2022, 19:28   #32
ZenSpeedmaster

You have some - albeit very limited - options using Vdash. You can add steering wheel paddles, change the speed limiter, allow video in motion and a couple more. Mostly useless really. All the good stuff is restricted for reasons beyond my comprehension. These plebs are charging big bucks for each configuration change so they are literally costing themselves money by keeping you, me and many other out.

Now, in fairness to vdash. It's very handy for diagnostics and servicing. And it's free for that.
Old Aug 12th, 2022, 14:30   #33
chemkay

D5T5 got back to me and they are going to unlock my account to the experimental features. Have you had a chance to try out the drive mode toggle?
Old Aug 12th, 2022, 14:52   #34
ZenSpeedmaster

They haven't gotten back to me. How did you contact them? Using the 'create ticket' option?
Old Aug 12th, 2022, 15:08   #35
chemkay

I submitted a help desk ticket. They usually get back to me the next business day. I was surprised they even responded after seeing the hundreds of pending tickets ahead of mine. We'll see if they actually change my account though.
Old Aug 25th, 2022, 15:06   #36
chemkay

Okay, so I have tried the "drive mode" configuration and the "adaptive cruise control" configuration on my XC60 in VDASH. I tried the ACC configuration first and then reverted it to try the drive mode configuration with mixed results.

The configurations installed successfully but each time I would receive "Parking Brake Temporarily Unavailable" and "ESC Service Required" error codes. I tried clearing the DTCs but they do not go away.

The ACC configuration gave me the option to set distance and gave me the option to use ACC in the sensus menu and steering wheel, however, when I selected ACC it would tell me that I "can't use distance from other vehicles" or something along those lines. Both Collision Avoid. Assistance and Lane Keeping Aid were grayed out and an error triangle was illuminated - I presume because of the errors with the ESC and Parking Brake (though the parking brake was fully operational without problem).

When I did the drive mode configuration, I received the same errors but I was given the option for "Individual Drive Modes" which allowed me to set my drive-train to Dynamic mode - it was like driving a different vehicle IMO. I reverted the configuration because I didn't feel comfortable with the Parking Brake and ESC codes on my dash, even though the parking brake functioned perfectly fine. I also don't want to go without Collision Avoid. Assistance or the Lane Keeping Aid.

I reached out to D5T5 regarding my errors to see if there is something else I need to configure in addition to these things or if I need to install certain hardware. Note I tried the drive mode configuration without the physical drive mode selector wheel installed. My vehicle does have PilotAssist though it's just the Park-In and Park-Out functions.

If I can figure out how to get rid of the ESC and Parking Brake errors, I believe these configurations could be useful.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3571.jpg (135.9 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3572.jpg (39.2 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3573.jpg (39.3 KB, 21 views)
Old Aug 25th, 2022, 15:29   #37
ZenSpeedmaster

First question that springs to mind is did you get out, lock the car and leave it so for 5 mins after each configuration change? I believe this is an important step and cleared those spurious codes for me after I enabled the steering wheel paddles.

I wonder if maybe your car doesn't have the radar required for ACC? Or do you reckon it should be the same hardware you already have for collision avoidance?

Fascinating to hear that you got a button in sensus for drive modes even though you don't have the roller wheel by the parking brake switch. I haven't had a chance to fit my drive mode switch yet. I'm up the walls with work at the moment.

Vdash crew got back to me and have told me they have enabled expert feature although I haven't checked yet. I'm looking forward to that.

I will also try to add blind spot alert and cross traffic alert if I can figure out the hardware needed. I have all around parking sensors so I think I might actually be equipped apart from the wing mirrors with the warning lights which I don't have.
Old Aug 25th, 2022, 15:44   #38
chemkay

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenSpeedmaster View Post
First question that springs to mind is did you get out, lock the car and leave it so for 5 mins after each configuration change? I believe this is an important step and cleared those spurious codes for me after I enabled the steering wheel paddles.

I wonder if maybe your car doesn't have the radar required for ACC? Or do you reckon it should be the same hardware you already have for collision avoidance?

Fascinating to hear that you got a button in sensus for drive modes even though you don't have the roller wheel by the parking brake switch. I haven't had a chance to fit my drive mode switch yet. I'm up the walls with work at the moment.

Vdash crew got back to me and have told me they have enabled expert feature although I haven't checked yet. I'm looking forward to that.

I will also try to add blind spot alert and cross traffic alert if I can figure out the hardware needed. I have all around parking sensors so I think I might actually be equipped apart from the wing mirrors with the warning lights which I don't have.
I did do the lockout procedure. I got out, locked the vehicle, walked far far away for at least 5 minutes - the errors remained.

I do have the camera and radar unit needed for ACC (P/N 31400839). It's in the Intellisense cluster by the rear view mirror.

I'm reading a thread on Swedespeed right now about someone with an SPA vehicle who made changes in VDASH - they're talking about how VDASH merely modifies the code in our Volvos then VIDA will recognize the attributed features to allow for uploading the software needed for the modified module. So maybe after changing the code in VDASH, I need to download the software for the modules I changed in VIDA.

I'm considering purchasing the drive mode selector switch and changing the configuration again in VDASH then loading the software via VIDA. I believe that's what has to happen, though I'm not sure why your errors disappeared when you installed the shift paddles? I do find it odd how there are a few configurations on the front page of VDASH then everything else is in another menu - maybe VDASH includes the software for those configurations? Idk.

I'm going to continue to research then I might try again and go into VIDA to see what's what.
Old Aug 25th, 2022, 15:52   #39
ZenSpeedmaster

Be aware that recent changes by volvo have meant that when a car is plugged into vida and it has a configuration other than the one it left the factory with, vida prevents software updates. There is an ongoing thread about the B+W sound system upgrade that covers it in some detail with info from experienced guys.
Old Aug 25th, 2022, 16:06   #40
chemkay

I'm not sure how recent that thread you're referencing is. I found a thread where someone converted their mid-level illumination to the high-level option. They did the changes through VDASH and they confirmed their vehicle attributes in VIDA to be concurrent with the configurations they completed, which IMO shouldn't block a software update. But maybe something more recently happened at Volvo like they did with the CEM Pin thing.

Thread here: https://www.swedespeed.com/threads/a....647565/page-2

If anything, I could just revert the configurations before bringing my vehicle in for service. It's past its warranty period so I'm not concerned about voiding warranties. My only concern at this point is bricking the vehicle.