Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New (to me) 1980 Volvo 244

Views : 1773754

Replies : 4083

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 5th, 2021, 20:52   #2671
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360beast View Post
It was a very good day out!

Did you watch the demonstration on the gasses in the mines? The information they had about that part of the job was fascinating.
The whole day was very good Luke. We saw the gasses demonstration (and thought the chap must have been a retired chemistry teacher), the chain link demonstration (chap must have been an off duty metalwork teacher) and the local materials lesson (the chap was probably a retired geography teacher). The motorcycle shop was excellent (I spent so long there that Elizabeth volunteered to get the fish and chips - which were excellent) - we had a small drink each in the pub as well.

All in all an excellent day - the 300 series chaps were good company, and it was a bonus to meet Alf.

Many thanks,

Alan

Last edited by Othen; Oct 5th, 2021 at 21:01.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 5th, 2021, 21:01   #2672
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Ah yes the chain link demonstration was amazing, I have always wondered how they're made! I asked how much weight the chain he was making could hold and he said it would hold 7 ton! They used that size chain to hold up the links for the titanic anchor chain while they made the links for it.

I ran out of time to go in to the motorbike shop which is a shame as I would have liked to have gone in there. Atleast you got the chips without the wait!
360beast is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 5th, 2021, 21:05   #2673
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360beast View Post
Ah yes the chain link demonstration was amazing, I have always wondered how they're made! I asked how much weight the chain he was making could hold and he said it would hold 7 ton! They used that size chain to hold up the links for the titanic anchor chain while they made the links for it.

I ran out of time to go in to the motorbike shop which is a shame as I would have liked to have gone in there. Atleast you got the chips without the wait!
The lady at the motorcycle shop didn't know much about bikes - but it didn't matter, I did :-) I'd come across bikes like those Sunbeams and the AJS sidevalve previously.

:-)

Last edited by Othen; Oct 5th, 2021 at 21:24. Reason: Spelling error.
Old Oct 6th, 2021, 12:05   #2674
Dippydog
Premier Member

Last 'bike I had[49yrs ago]was a 1954 Ariel VB 600cc sidevalve single with magneto ignition.It was a proper animal[I weigh 10st]to kick up especially if you mis-timed letting the valve lifter go Would quite like another 'bike but I'd probably kill myself on one these days! Never seen another VB since I sold mine-probably says more about my taste in 'bikes than anything else
Dippydog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dippydog For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 13th, 2021, 06:51   #2675
Othen
Premier Member

I've deliberately not used the RB for a week or so in respect of the 'fuel crisis' (which I might not have even realised happened if I had not read about it in the paper) - the RB not being as efficient as the Skoda diesel (or even the Porsche come to that!).

When I parked up the RB I put a couple of squirts of ATF through each of the spark plug holes (as I do a couple of times each year), and I followed the LS advice with an egg-cup or two of ATF mixed in with the fuel.

I was planning to waken the RB from its slumbers this afternoon, I hope my neighbours don't think I've acquired a Wartburg 2 stroke!

Last edited by Othen; Oct 13th, 2021 at 07:02.
Old Oct 13th, 2021, 11:17   #2676
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
I've deliberately not used the RB for a week or so in respect of the 'fuel crisis' (which I might not have even realised happened if I had not read about it in the paper) - the RB not being as efficient as the Skoda diesel (or even the Porsche come to that!).

When I parked up the RB I put a couple of squirts of ATF through each of the spark plug holes (as I do a couple of times each year), and I followed the LS advice with an egg-cup or two of ATF mixed in with the fuel.

I was planning to waken the RB from its slumbers this afternoon, I hope my neighbours don't think I've acquired a Wartburg 2 stroke!

Remove the plugs and put some rag over the plug holes and spin it over to eject the ATF from the bores and you shouldn't be sending smoke signals when you start the RB Alan!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 13th, 2021, 12:04   #2677
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post

I'm impressed that a young whipper-snapper such as your-self can actually remember the Wartburg, Alan!

I bought one of the last to be imported (a '75 (P)) when it was a few months old. I quickly discovered why the previous owner had sold it, but kept it for a couple of years even so! I must have been a glutton for punishment then, as I had previously owned a Moskvich Estate. They might have been almost new cars, but, my goodness, there was a reason that they were cheap!

The Wartburg ran on a fuel / oil ratio of 50:1 but still smoked like a chimney. It went like whotsit off a shovel for it's size, but setting the three (!) sets of points was best described as 'interesting'.

In contrast, my Raleigh 'peds ran on 16:1 premix and emitted a smoke-screen that would have been the envy of James Bond! One really could get high on the smell of a 2T at full chat - it was that addictive!

Regards, John.

Last edited by john.wigley; Oct 13th, 2021 at 12:17. Reason: Typo correction
john.wigley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to john.wigley For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 13th, 2021, 12:40   #2678
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.wigley View Post
I'm impressed that a young whipper-snapper such as your-self can actually remember the Wartburg, Alan!

I bought one of the last to be imported (a '75 (P)) when it was a few months old. I quickly discovered why the previous owner had sold it, but kept it for a couple of years even so! I must have been a glutton for punishment then, as I had previously owned a Moskvich Estate. They might have been almost new cars, but, my goodness, there was a reason that they were cheap!

The Wartburg ran on a fuel / oil ratio of 50:1 but still smoked like a chimney. It went like whotsit off a shovel for it's size, but setting the three (!) sets of points was best described as 'interesting'.

In contrast, my Raleigh 'peds ran on 16:1 premix and emitted a smoke-screen that would have been the envy of James Bond! One really could get high on the smell of a 2T at full chat - it was that addictive!

Regards, John.
I also remember the Wartburg and Moskvich John, there was also a race car made using the 3-pot Wartburg engine known as the Melkus, apparently the engine was tuned to about 150bhp but i can't remember where i read that so can't provide a link :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melkus

I recently found a Volvo Amazon that had been fitted with a 2-stroke Evinrude V8 marine engine on YouTube called "Rudezon" so it seems 2-strokes are still in use in cars, even if only occasionally!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 13th, 2021, 12:45   #2679
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.wigley View Post

Regards, John.
Actually John, I've even been in a Wartburg! A girlfriend at university in Bristol had one - it would have been about 1989 or 90 I suppose.

I still have a 1976 Suzuki B120 2 stroke motorcycle, it has a automatic mixture system with a separate tank (so no premix) but it still leaves that lovely trail of blue smoke :-)

Alan
Old Oct 13th, 2021, 14:17   #2680
Moomoo
VOC Member

I recently found a Volvo Amazon that had been fitted with a 2-stroke Evinrude V8 marine engine on YouTube called "Rudezon" so it seems 2-strokes are still in use in cars, even if only occasionally![/QUOTE]

Dear Santa, I've been good. I know it's a bit early but..................
Moomoo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Moomoo For This Useful Post: