Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New (to me) 1980 Volvo 244

Views : 2023922

Replies : 4092

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 3rd, 2021, 10:29   #2171
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by loki_the_glt View Post
Nice work; as has been said before about many things "hindsight has 20-20 vision".

As you say,the redblocks are easy to do most jobs on; number 4 spark plug on manual cars is a bit more difficult as the clutch master cylinder gets in the way and the camshaft mounted distributor has to rank as one of Volvo's less intelligent pieces of "design" but things like the timing belt set-up might almost have been designed with the owner-mechanic in mind.
Yes indeed about life being easy with 20-20 hindsight; no matter, it was a pretty easy thing to rectify.

I've just been out for a drive around in the RB, nowhere in particular, but just because it is a nice car to drive. It is so much quieter without that mouse living in the front of the engine - I have turned the radio down a bit!

The B21a in the RB is particularly easy to work on (an auto plus the vertical type distributor). I was comparing it with a mate when we swapped the thermostat on his 10 year old Vauxhall Insignia diesel during the Xmas break. It took us about an hour to get access to the part, whereas on the RB the whole job would have taken 5 minutes at most.

Best wishes for a happy and prosperous 2021.

Alan
Old Jan 5th, 2021, 19:10   #2172
Othen
Premier Member

Default 110,000 miles

It is hard to believe that I have owned the Royal Barge for very nearly a year. This eve it passed a small milestone in reaching 110,000 miles:

... apologies for the poor quality of photo from the hands free, voice controlled action camera I happened to have pointed at the instruments just as the odometer rolled over.

I've done very nearly 3,000 miles in the RB, and can very honestly say I have enjoyed it more and more as the car has steadily improved. Thank you for all the help and advice chaps.

Alan
Old Jan 5th, 2021, 19:16   #2173
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post

... apologies for the poor quality of photo from the hands free, voice controlled action camera I happened to have pointed at the instruments just as the odometer rolled over.

I've done very nearly 3,000 miles in the RB, and can very honestly say I have enjoyed it more and more as the car has steadily improved. Thank you for all the help and advice chaps.

Alan
Hmmm, clear road with good visibility, would have been a better pic if you'd pulled over Alan!

On a serious note i'm glad you're enjoying the car and to know that makes the help worthwhile.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 5th, 2021, 19:21   #2174
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Hmmm, clear road with good visibility, would have been a better pic if you'd pulled over Alan!

On a serious note i'm glad you're enjoying the car and to know that makes the help worthwhile.
:-)
Alan
Old Jan 7th, 2021, 15:48   #2175
Othen
Premier Member

Default Engine Hoist

I collected the hoist today, and am of course very happy with it (well, it was free!):

Old Jan 7th, 2021, 18:11   #2176
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

An uplifting thing in many ways Alan!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 7th, 2021, 21:20   #2177
360beast
Go redblock or go home

That looks like a hefty bit of kit Alan! Well my 940 is coming off the road February 3rd as I've done classic insurance on my 360, booked the MOT and ordered the cambelt, tensioner and 3x front oil seals for it from Volvo today so all being well the gearbox should be available some time in Feb/March.

Last edited by 360beast; Jan 7th, 2021 at 22:17. Reason: Punctuation and spelling
360beast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 9th, 2021, 09:02   #2178
Bugjam1999
Master Member

Interesting- it looks identical to mine, except a previous owner has cut the front wheels off and replaced them with castor wheels for more manoeuvrability, which will be a good improvement.

I suggest you oil the release valve, mine was a bit stiff initially which made careful lowering tricky- easily fixed with Wd40 or similar.

Cheers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6E6EF426-17EF-4A5C-BEB1-833ED0E41FCE.jpg (232.4 KB, 9 views)
Bugjam1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bugjam1999 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 9th, 2021, 09:22   #2179
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugjam1999 View Post
Interesting- it looks identical to mine, except a previous owner has cut the front wheels off and replaced them with castor wheels for more manoeuvrability, which will be a good improvement.

I suggest you oil the release valve, mine was a bit stiff initially which made careful lowering tricky- easily fixed with Wd40 or similar.

Cheers
I believe Alan intends to strip and clean it all so will probably sort any little niggles with it.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 9th, 2021, 16:39   #2180
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugjam1999 View Post

Cheers
... I had exactly the same problem: the release valve was stuck (in the closed position). I bit of penetrating oil and a pair of plumbers' grips soon sorted it - must be a fault with this particular model.