Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New to the XC90 fold, bye XC70

Views : 6615

Replies : 71

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 14th, 2020, 15:50   #31
AlainBrighton
A stranger from abroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlainBrighton View Post
Sounds pretty good and helpful on the dark drive of my girlfriend in the countryside ! I was not aware of that at all.

One other thing I will ask at Marshall’s tomorrow if they can program my mirrors so they will fold automatically once locked !

Thanks again, Nick !
Does anyone know how to offer a car for sale ?
After my service at Marshall's in January, I have spent lockdown in the Netherlands and will probably not need a car in Henfield anytime soon. I will sin and drive a blue-white propeller driven estate car but would like to offer my car to one of the members here first before I try webuyanycar.com and the likes :-)

Find me on Instagram as SussexChineseDutch
AlainBrighton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14th, 2020, 20:18   #32
foeism

I must say, one of the most informative threads I’ve read. Covers everything from lights to gearbox to tyres.

Wanted to ask did you fit the side steps you purchased from eBay?
If so how did you find them in every day use?

Thanks
foeism is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to foeism For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 14th, 2020, 21:24   #33
AlainBrighton
A stranger from abroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by foeism View Post
I must say, one of the most informative threads I’ve read. Covers everything from lights to gearbox to tyres.

Wanted to ask did you fit the side steps you purchased from eBay?
If so how did you find them in every day use?

Thanks
I am glad you found the thread helpful, the thread of Odysseus has helped me a lot too when I was finding everything.

The after-market side steps look sleeker than the factory ones and for around £110 it was a steal. If you PM me your email address or mobile number, I will send you a couple of pictures of how it looks now. There will be a visible gap between the underside of the body and the side steps but that is the price one has to pay for the sleaker look. Have utilised the side steps quite a bit since I have used the car for moving things and using a roofbox on top and it always did the trick. Can highly recommend it since I could not find decent priced factory side steps at the time !

p.s. Both UK and Dutch dealerships informed me I could not program anything regarding folding mirrors upon locking, adding LED daylight running lights and the works which was quite disappointing but apparently one needs to have the Modelyear 2013 for that

If anyone knows of anyone else interested in purchasing my 2012 XC90 with currently 107K on the clock, do let me know :-)

The Following User Says Thank You to AlainBrighton For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 14th, 2020, 21:39   #34
paddy74

Quote:
[...]

p.s. Both UK and Dutch dealerships informed me I could not program anything regarding folding mirrors upon locking, adding LED daylight running lights and the works which was quite disappointing but apparently one needs to have the Modelyear 2013 for that
[...]
To get these functions (that are not only nice to have in a new car), you can simply use the CFE+ (Wifi). It has all these functions, just put it in your OBD2 socket and you are good to go. Very nice tool, just take a look around here in the forum (not only in the XC90 subforum), it is a well known and used tool.

Here you go: https://www.swedesolutions.com/produ...c90-2007-2014/
The Following User Says Thank You to paddy74 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 14th, 2020, 22:30   #35
AlainBrighton
A stranger from abroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddy74 View Post
To get these functions (that are not only nice to have in a new car), you can simply use the CFE+ (Wifi). It has all these functions, just put it in your OBD2 socket and you are good to go. Very nice tool, just take a look around here in the forum (not only in the XC90 subforum), it is a well known and used tool.

Here you go: https://www.swedesolutions.com/produ...c90-2007-2014/
Much appreciated, Paddy, that does sound very useful indeed, shame Marshalls and the Dutch dealership could not help me with that :-(
Will definitely take a look !

Old Sep 14th, 2020, 22:39   #36
CondorXC90

Another Plus vote for the CFE - if you want the folding mirrors, it does it quickly and easily. I love mine!!
Main dealers don't always know very much about enthusiast details, or indeed about the older cars. Always a good idea to ask on here!!

XC90 2008 Sport SE Geartronic, sunroof, privacy, heated seats, phone/RTI, Nav, HP Sound,
CondorXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CondorXC90 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 14th, 2020, 22:48   #37
AlainBrighton
A stranger from abroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by CondorXC90 View Post
Another Plus vote for the CFE - if you want the folding mirrors, it does it quickly and easily. I love mine!!
Main dealers don't always know very much about enthusiast details, or indeed about the older cars. Always a good idea to ask on here!!
Absolutely, this is the proof again. I tried Volvo UK, Marshalls, Volvo Netherlands and a Dutch Volvo dealership but obviously I should have known to find the answer on here :-)
Despite wanting to sell the car, I will still obtain that tool, always nice to have in case I keep it a bit longer !

Old Sep 15th, 2020, 00:51   #38
Bashy
Aged Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post

Gearbox oil change question is tricky. My firm instinct was to have mine changed but two trusted Volvo independents have cautioned against this, so who knows? High mileage not withstanding I think my XC90 has led a pretty easy life - no towing or drag racing - so maybe that’s a factor? Like I said, instinct said change, experts (who would make money off the oil change) said don’t. For now I haven’t touched it.
I find that they get caught up in the word "flush" when its not really the same thing that is required of them, they think its a flush like you would with an oil additive prior to an engine oil change, that sort of flush, when in fact its just really a drain and fill, or the gibbons method, this is why they advise against it. If you tell them its a drain and fill, they are then quite receptive, I was quoted £250 for doing that twice on my V70 just as an FYI
Old Oct 14th, 2020, 22:17   #39
AlainBrighton
A stranger from abroad

Quote:
Absolutely, this is the proof again. I tried Volvo UK, Marshalls, Volvo Netherlands and a Dutch Volvo dealership but obviously I should have known to find the answer on here :-)
Despite wanting to sell the car, I will still obtain that tool, always nice to have in case I keep it a bit longer !
Thank you all for all your helpful advice.

Since putting the car on for sale on this forum, the next day half September I have been lucky enough to have found a buyer and the car has gone to a new warm home in Leeds where the car will be properly appreciated by a young family as it should be.

I will be away for the time being as I am an ex-Volvo owner and back to BMW but I hope in 2 years time to find a late 2006 or early 2007 XC90 in Executive trim since it will be very tax friendly to drive those as a company car in the Netherlands.

Good luck to you all,

Cheers,
Alain

The Following User Says Thank You to AlainBrighton For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 28th, 2022, 13:09   #40
AlainBrighton
A stranger from abroad

Default Needing a new XC90 in my life :-)

After having left for almost 2 years, I am in search of a XC90 again and was hoping to pick up some useful tips.

Preferably looking for a XC90 Executive, alternatively a SE/Lux and not sure if I should have the 200bhp D5 or the 182bhp D5 ? I had the 2012 one and wondering if there is a lot of difference if I would go for the 182bph version in terms of reliability and performance ?
How about the 2.5 T Petrol and 3.2 Petrol versions ? Anyone any experience with it ?

I would like the most complete version, I would like the massaging seats but understood they only come with much newer modelyears than the 2007 onwards modelyears I am looking at.

Since LHD XC90s are almost impossible to find (I would like it initially on UK plates) any RHD would do but advice is really appreciated since I bought my last XC90 by accident on eBay.

Higher mileages will not put me off when the timing belt has been replaced timely and any advice will be appreciated !

Cheers,
Alain