Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Start Prevented.

Views : 461

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 31st, 2023, 19:41   #1
Pauljude

Default Start Prevented.

Hi folks, sorry to create another start prevented thread, but they're slightly different to my problem.

My very recently acquired 2011 xc90 has 2 keys. I have only used the one key until today when I went to use the other one, which does everything apart from start the car, it gives the start prevented error message. The key I have been using starts every time without fail, does this rule out the ring antennae? And are there any reset or coding procedures or do you think the key has had its day?

Car is within warranty so I'll be asking for a replacement key if it's a goner.

Thanks in advance.
Pauljude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1st, 2023, 10:36   #2
john langrick
Master Member

Hi, try using the key that doesn't work, but hang the key that does over the ignition key housing.

If this works then the failing key needs recoding to the ring aerial.

It could be that that key was replaced in the past, but never coded.

The key has a passive sensor in it that does need coding with the ring aerial and if one works, you have to believe the actual ring aerial is ok.

Hope this helps.
john langrick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1st, 2023, 14:05   #3
Pauljude

Thanks for your reply, I didn't even think to try that. I have done it but car still failed to start, I would say your probably right in that the ring antennae is ok but the transponder part of the key needs replacing / reprogramming.
Old Aug 1st, 2023, 15:21   #4
Andymharrison

Are both keys original?

I've seen cars where one key has been broken so someone has just moved the key blade and button board into one of the cheap ebay cases. Works fine for lock/unlocking but won't start the car unless the little glass transponder is moved as well.
Andymharrison is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1st, 2023, 22:17   #5
Pauljude

Both cases and gubbins are definitely Volvo but I have no way of knowing if they are original to the car.
The Following User Says Thank You to Pauljude For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 2nd, 2023, 08:32   #6
john langrick
Master Member

You would know it the key had been repaired as you have to split the two halves on the part with the key button and blade. You may have noticed that the part with the buttons can easily be removed.

Many cars have a service key, i.e a key that will allow opening the car, but.will not allow starting. Could it be that one of your keys is a service key?

I once had this on my old v70 where I lost a key so purchased a new one ( not inexpensive), and have it programmed. I later found my old key but it no longer worked as it appears the ring aerial would now not a crept it. Could something like this have happened?

Best way I guess is to try and get it programmed by your local Volvo garage. If they cannot program then a new key may be the only option.

John l
john langrick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2nd, 2023, 13:51   #7
Moose Test
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john langrick View Post
get it programmed by your local Volvo garage. If they cannot program then a new key may be the only option.
I'm 90% sure that you won't be doing that. IIRC, new keys are supplied with a code on the packaging that is required for the programming process. The dealer is supposed to destroy that after programming. Without it, the key (and the vehicle's acceptance of it) can't be reprogrammed.