Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC60 stolen from driveway

Views : 63273

Replies : 331

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 7th, 2021, 16:13   #311
steve99uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDufster View Post
But when my key is in my suit jacket pocket hung up behind me will I not get the "key not found" message when the key is deactivated?
I think it just checks for a key fob signal when starting the engine. Powering off the fob is not a problem either.

I used something similar on an XC60 (replacement to my one that got stolen at the beginning of this thread) and it was fine.
steve99uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7th, 2021, 16:48   #312
TheDufster

I get a problem when I wear my shorts that have a low pocket in the front. If I put my car key in there the car periodically pops up with the "key not found in car" message.

XC40 1.5 T3 R-Design
TheDufster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8th, 2022, 23:25   #313
Washwipe

To resurrect this thread, I had a visit this morning a little after 4am, notified by Alexa that someone was at the front door.
They failed this time.

https://youtu.be/dZ8hedH1A2w
Washwipe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Washwipe For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 9th, 2022, 09:17   #314
steve99uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Washwipe View Post
To resurrect this thread, I had a visit this morning a little after 4am, notified by Alexa that someone was at the front door.
They failed this time.

https://youtu.be/dZ8hedH1A2w
Good news that they failed to take it. I never did get mine back......wonder if it went offshore or was broken up for parts?

Do you have a fob protector such as this - https://www.hard-off-security.com/pr...cking-blocker/
or use a Faraday bag?

I use this fob protector in my XC40 and also use a steering wheel lock.
steve99uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9th, 2022, 10:13   #315
BeeQueue

Default Upgraded Keyless Keys

When I bought my used MY19 V60, I knew it came with Keyless entry and I was a little concerned especially since I live in an apartment with a communial garage.

The Key Tag (Sports Key) didn't work and the other two keys were a little tatty so I was searching for reasonably cheap solutions. I found that Volvo can now retrofit a complete new set of updated keys for my car, all for £120. These updated keys have additional anti-relay-theft protection, which I guess is a movement sensor? I found this on the volvocarsaccessories.co.uk site which unfortunately does not accept hot-linking to its pages. The only way to access it is via this page:
https://www.volvocars.com/uk/buy/fin...ccessory-packs and then click on the "view all accessories here" link in the first paragraph. It's a faff! Once you have opened the Accessories page, this link will take you straight to the page
https://volvocarsaccessories.co.uk/A...ccessory/22425 but be warned this link doesn't work until you have already opened the page via the other site and selected your vehicle type / Model Year.

I checked the date of manufacture of my keys by opening them up; they were made in summer 2018 so I knew I had the original keyless keys. I then asked my local dealer to retrofit this for me and I think I was their first customer to request it since it took a little while for them to find if on the system. Once the car was booked in though, it only took an hour. I had barely finished my breakfast across the road when they phoned me!

So I have no way to test whether the new keys are better protected or not. My car hasn't been stolen, so is that proof ? I do like having a working Key Tag however, and my wife likes her non-tatty regular key so it was worth the money to me. The piece of mind that my car will still be where I left it is the gravy on top.

From the volvocarsaccessories.co.uk site:
Keyless Key Package without Red key
Part Code: 31652474
This set of keys consists of two standard keys and one Key tag. The smaller Key tag allows you to lock and unlock the car without needing to have the standard key with you. The key is waterproof and is perfect for someone with an active lifestyle.
All three keys are supplied with upgraded hardware. This hardware replaces its predecessor in earlier keys and is upgraded with extra protection to secure your car. The advanced theft protection helps prevent relay attacks for improved security and so that you will feel more secure as the owner of the car.
The key case has an attractive design with chrome buttons and parts, which give the key an exclusive appearance. You can also choose to continue to use the key fob case from your previous key, as it is easy to transfer the old key fob case to the new key.
Note! Replaces the hardware in existing keys. Existing keys must therefore be returned to the dealer and exchanged.
Note! The chassis numbers refer to a change during model year 20. The break took place in week 46, 2019, and only applies to cars built before then. Car models are produced in different factories. Therefore, check the 11th position in the VIN code to see which chassis number applies for your car.
Old Aug 9th, 2022, 10:19   #316
SnineT
Extrahumanestrial

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeQueue View Post
When I bought my used MY19 V60, I knew it came with Keyless entry and I was a little concerned especially since I live in an apartment with a communial garage.

The Key Tag (Sports Key) didn't work and the other two keys were a little tatty so I was searching for reasonably cheap solutions. I found that Volvo can now retrofit a complete new set of updated keys for my car, all for £120. These updated keys have additional anti-relay-theft protection, which I guess is a movement sensor? I found this on the volvocarsaccessories.co.uk site which unfortunately does not accept hot-linking to its pages. The only way to access it is via this page:
https://www.volvocars.com/uk/buy/fin...ccessory-packs and then click on the "view all accessories here" link in the first paragraph. It's a faff! Once you have opened the Accessories page, this link will take you straight to the page
https://volvocarsaccessories.co.uk/A...ccessory/22425 but be warned this link doesn't work until you have already opened the page via the other site and selected your vehicle type / Model Year.

I checked the date of manufacture of my keys by opening them up; they were made in summer 2018 so I knew I had the original keyless keys. I then asked my local dealer to retrofit this for me and I think I was their first customer to request it since it took a little while for them to find if on the system. Once the car was booked in though, it only took an hour. I had barely finished my breakfast across the road when they phoned me!

So I have no way to test whether the new keys are better protected or not. My car hasn't been stolen, so is that proof ? I do like having a working Key Tag however, and my wife likes her non-tatty regular key so it was worth the money to me. The piece of mind that my car will still be where I left it is the gravy on top.

From the volvocarsaccessories.co.uk site:
Keyless Key Package without Red key
Part Code: 31652474
This set of keys consists of two standard keys and one Key tag. The smaller Key tag allows you to lock and unlock the car without needing to have the standard key with you. The key is waterproof and is perfect for someone with an active lifestyle.
All three keys are supplied with upgraded hardware. This hardware replaces its predecessor in earlier keys and is upgraded with extra protection to secure your car. The advanced theft protection helps prevent relay attacks for improved security and so that you will feel more secure as the owner of the car.
The key case has an attractive design with chrome buttons and parts, which give the key an exclusive appearance. You can also choose to continue to use the key fob case from your previous key, as it is easy to transfer the old key fob case to the new key.
Note! Replaces the hardware in existing keys. Existing keys must therefore be returned to the dealer and exchanged.
Note! The chassis numbers refer to a change during model year 20. The break took place in week 46, 2019, and only applies to cars built before then. Car models are produced in different factories. Therefore, check the 11th position in the VIN code to see which chassis number applies for your car.
You can carefully open the sport key and replace the battery, I've done a how 2 on it or there are youtubes on it which is what made me do it,

Motion function only protects the key when you aren't using it, you're still at risk when you lock and walk away from the car, my RFID thread will give you options on that if you want to go a step further,

It's ironic my thread sat unanswered for months and now the very reason I wrote it up is becoming a reality.
SnineT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15th, 2022, 11:26   #317
S60nick

Default Keys

Hi, thinking of ordering the upgraded keys, when they arrived where they the leather (or fake leather) keys with the chrome surround or the standard grey plastic keys? Thanks.
S60nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15th, 2022, 21:07   #318
SnineT
Extrahumanestrial

Quote:
Originally Posted by S60nick View Post
Hi, thinking of ordering the upgraded keys, when they arrived where they the leather (or fake leather) keys with the chrome surround or the standard grey plastic keys? Thanks.
I don't think they arrive Nick, I think you book in to the dealer and they swap the keys for new ones and program them in for you, the shells I believe they simply swap yours onto the new keys or you can buy new shells in different decorative effects,

I personally wouldn't bother as I don't feel motion is the way to defeat the potential of the car vanishing while you're out of sight, better off investing £65 in a pair of Vonetti aluminum 10cm Alpha Shield boxes, or just one for the key you use and wrap the idle keys in tin foil a couple of times, always remember to acid test them though, I would suggest the ones I have but since the Mail highlighted the theft problem recently both stockers are out of stock, don't waste time on pouches they break down after 8 weeks or so and don't really have the design form to stop signal leakage anyway,

If you do order one remember to check if the key will fit the box and accept you have to do something more awkward than a normal fob each time you want to secure or unsecure the car, there is a Zippo type one where you'd just flip the lid but I'm not sure if it's big enough, that ones is the same brand but called the Businessman model, always read the reviews as well.
Old Aug 15th, 2022, 21:52   #319
S60nick

Default Keys

That’s really helpful, thanks. I will have a think but appreciate your advice. All the best.
S60nick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to S60nick For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 15th, 2022, 23:09   #320
SnineT
Extrahumanestrial

Quote:
Originally Posted by S60nick View Post
That’s really helpful, thanks. I will have a think but appreciate your advice. All the best.
I did a bit of looking up, the businessman one won't take a Volvo fob, any that are suitable need to be internally between 4.0cm to 4.5cm wide, 2.5cm to 3.0cm thick and over 8.0cm length, there's a new kid on the block but whether it actually consistently works or not I don't know, it's branded Attenuo and is a flip top one @ £35, most of them externally including mine are 9.0cm to 10cm long and 2.3 to 3.0cm thick, the ones I have don't fit properly, you can angle a key in one and the other which I prefer only fits a Sportkey, that one has a slide on off switch and makes life so much easier as it doesn't need to come out of my pocket to use it, neither are in stock and were £13 & £14 respectively and both actually work 100% of the time.

The flip tops might be a bit hit and miss, as the hinge pin wears it's likely the lids won't seal properly.