Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D5 07 model year Rattly top end

Views : 5901

Replies : 26

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 26th, 2016, 22:52   #21
Horton

Just spotted this thread has come alive.

An update on this car is well overdue, and it's not a great ending.....
So, rockers replaced and done, car ran really well for 3000 miles and then my wife complained it the oil light was on... Sure enough, the oil was low but there was no sign of burnt oil or smoke. Did an oil change and it did another 3k before burning throught that lot. Decided to blame the DPF filter and changed that. Car was fine for another 3k, and this time less oil was used, although it more than I felt comfortable with. A mate took a shine to it, and my wife upgraded to a V50 D5. Anyway, mate had it for six months, DPF blocked again, oil low again... Changed oil, cleaned out DPF fine for a few weeks, and then it all came to a sad end and threw a rod out the side of the case. We put a low mileage D5 XC90 engine in, including using the turbo from the XC90 and it's been perfect since...
I think the turbo was burning oil, but because of the DPF and low ash oil, it wasn't noticeable? Not come across another car like this since😁😳😳
Horton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Horton For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 7th, 2016, 11:57   #22
Symes
Master Member

Thanks for the update, the oil consumption and dpf blocking sounds very much like my XC70 euro4.
I came to the same conclusion re turbo, but (still) haven't got round to changing or replacing the core yet! The dpf blocking has been reduced by drilling a few 20mm holes asymetrically through it, but the side effect is the smoke is visible :-? my plan is to sort the turbo and if that sorts the oil/smoke problems then I might look at the lifters and followers to remove the occasional chug-chug sound!
Old Aug 7th, 2016, 12:01   #23
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symes View Post
Thanks for the update, the oil consumption and dpf blocking sounds very much like my XC70 euro4.
I came to the same conclusion re turbo, but (still) haven't got round to changing or replacing the core yet! The dpf blocking has been reduced by drilling a few 20mm holes asymetrically through it, but the side effect is the smoke is visible :-? my plan is to sort the turbo and if that sorts the oil/smoke problems then I might look at the lifters and followers to remove the occasional chug-chug sound!
Isn't that just the vacuum pump exhaust?
Old Aug 7th, 2016, 22:42   #24
skyship007
Premier Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horton View Post
Just spotted this thread has come alive.

An update on this car is well overdue, and it's not a great ending.....
So, rockers replaced and done, car ran really well for 3000 miles and then my wife complained it the oil light was on... Sure enough, the oil was low but there was no sign of burnt oil or smoke. Did an oil change and it did another 3k before burning throught that lot. Decided to blame the DPF filter and changed that. Car was fine for another 3k, and this time less oil was used, although it more than I felt comfortable with. A mate took a shine to it, and my wife upgraded to a V50 D5. Anyway, mate had it for six months, DPF blocked again, oil low again... Changed oil, cleaned out DPF fine for a few weeks, and then it all came to a sad end and threw a rod out the side of the case. We put a low mileage D5 XC90 engine in, including using the turbo from the XC90 and it's been perfect since...
I think the turbo was burning oil, but because of the DPF and low ash oil, it
wasn't noticeable? Not come across another car like this since������
The Volvo book probably says do a compression check before doing any major top end jobs. If the turbo oil seals fail, the exhaust will smoke when a big right boot is used and some engines will leak oil.

Drilling holes in a DPF as some have mentioned is an MOT failure point and oddly enough, tampering with required emissions equipment is a breach of criminal rather than civil law. It can also partly invalidate the insurance policy, as it's an unapproved modification for no track only use cars.

Everyone should DYOR (Do Your Own Research)

Last edited by skyship007; Aug 7th, 2016 at 22:46.
skyship007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7th, 2022, 00:39   #25
Freyja

Sorry to drag this old thread up but I am facing similar issues with my D5244T13. Deep engine note, almost blowy, poor MPG (e.g. on my 10 mile drive I lost 1.5mpg average from this tank of fuel and lost well over 100 miles of range).

The strange thing is this only happens when the engine is warm/hot but its frustrating as it doesn't happen all the time!

I can leave it for a few hours and come back to it and it will be fine. MPG and range will slowly recover, until it happens again.

I've just serviced it and it's currently on 193,000 miles. I have a new PCV valve ready to fit but taking out the dipstick briefly whilst engine running and having this problem makes no difference to the sound.

Any ideas if it still would be the tappets if the problem is intermittent like this?

Or is it the EGR valve?
Freyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8th, 2022, 22:30   #26
5cilinder
Premier Member

Tappets could be intermittent due to hot or cold oil (had this myself..under some cold conditions the thumping was not there)....in these engines with dpf its a common thing that the tappets fail and go soft....and if an exhaust tappet goes soft the exhaust valve closes later and burbs into the inlet hence the thumping noise.
5cilinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9th, 2022, 21:35   #27
Danielpsmith
Master Member

If it is your tappets I would get them changed, my d5 snapped a rocker and took the whole engine out it was on 193500 miles.

Not sure what year yours is but was told 06 and 56 plates there were a bad batch of lifters and rockers that went soft not sure how true it is but I have a 10 plate engine in mine now and it is very quiet compared to my old one.
Danielpsmith is offline   Reply With Quote