Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Stalling induces 'Engine System Service Urgent'

Views : 791

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 30th, 2019, 09:26   #1
C30inFrance

Default Stalling induces 'Engine System Service Urgent'

I got the dreaded 'Engine System Service Urgent' warning several weeks back. I pulled over and stopped the car, sat there for a few minutes pondering what to do. Turned the ignition back on and the error's gone. Ok, I thought, I'll see how it goes on the journey home (around 10 mile). No problems, the warning doesn't reappear. Neither does it on the journeys that follow and there's no problems with performance.

Then it happened again a couple of days ago, after I'd stalled the engine. Then I remembered, I'd stalled the engine on the previous occasion too; from starting in a supermarket parking lot then having driven a few mile before the warning came on.

So yesterday, playing with the theory and tempting fate, I deliberately stalled. Sure enough, the warning comes on a few mile later. Next test, if I'm feeling brave, will be to stall and turn the ignition off before restarting - to see if that effects a reset.

So it seems, for some reason, stalling the engine causes the warning to come on. Who'd have thought it eh? Anybody want to guess at reasons why?

(Btw, I stall the engine because the AC comes on when I start the car. If it comes on with a force (it has been damned hot of late) then I can't hear the engine as clearly... that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it! )
C30inFrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2nd, 2019, 13:04   #2
C30inFrance

I bought an ODBII adaptor (I like gadgets) and connected it to my C30 and the Torque android app. Very nifty, still playing with it really BUT

it did reveal 2 fault codes; P2458 Diesel Particulate Filter Regeneration Duration (which I believe I can often ignore as it usually relates to an incomplete regeneration) and P2585 which is seemingly a generic error 'Fuel additive control module warning lamp request' Bit of a weird one that and can relate to a number of things.

I cleared the errors and they've not reappeared so I'm guessing they are related to (and logged by) the erroneous 'Engine System Service Urgent' error I get from stalling.

The car runs just fine but I'll be keeping an eye on it now I have this new gadget to play with!
Old Jun 28th, 2021, 07:48   #3
jjjjjjjjjjj

Hi C30inFrance,

I've just noticed this exact same thing this weekend. After stalling I get "Engine System Service Urgent" and the red triangle, but the next time that I start the car, the warning disappears after a few seconds. Nothing noticeably odd about the running of the engine.

I'm interested to know: in your case, was this a precursor to anything more serious, or do you think it was just a software bug?
jjjjjjjjjjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28th, 2021, 10:07   #4
Simmy
Premier Member

check th e eloys tank has fluid in it low levels will put dpf warnings up dont ignore warning or you will incure a large bill for a replacement dpf
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15th, 2022, 21:50   #5
C30inFrance

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjjjjjjjjjj View Post
I'm interested to know: in your case, was this a precursor to anything more serious, or do you think it was just a software bug?

No, nothing more serious since (3 years ago!!) BUT I do have a recurrence of the P2585 error code. Following Simmy's comment above, I will get the additive level checked tomorrow (when the car gos in to have it's headlight alignment sorted)
Old Aug 29th, 2022, 13:26   #6
C30inFrance

Additive levels were fine. I cleared down the errors (around 10 days ago now) and they have not re-appeared.