Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Bridgestone Weather Control A005 EVO

Views : 1142

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 14th, 2022, 14:26   #1
940volvoman
Master Member

Default Bridgestone Weather Control A005 EVO

Has anybody tried these tyres on a 940 or variant?

The write ups seem good but personal experience is better.

Thanks

Shaun
940volvoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14th, 2022, 14:39   #2
RollingThunder
Grumpy Old Git

I usually refer to tyrereviews.co.uk to get an unbiased and reasonably scientific review of tyres - so when I went looking for tyres for my S70 T5, I considered these (their top picks) alongside the Hankook Kinergy 4S2 and Goodyear Vector 4 Seasons Gen 3. This is the test that I watched at the time - https://www.tyrereviews.com/Article/...-Tyre-Test.htm

I ended up buying the Hankooks as the Goodyears and Michelins were substantially more expensive, and the Bridgestone's were getting a reputation for having delicate sidewalls.

The Hankooks were exceptional in the cold - in heavy rain, on light snow and ice they're superb. They weren't so good when the temperature rose - in fact they became quite unnerving when it hit 25-30 degrees - they felt like I was driving a summer tyre on ice.

When I came to look for all season tyres a year or so later (another car, my 850R) I went with the Goodyears as they had an offer on I reckon these are better than the Hankooks - they're virtually unaffected by the hot weather, and again are excellent in the cold and wet conditions. The recent heatwave of 38 degrees showed them to behave much better when it gets really hot - the feedback was just the same, and they're very reliable and stable tyres.

The other upside of the Goodyears is that they're supposed to last much longer than the Bridgestones. The Bridgestones are said to be more of a driver's tyre, but they do wear more quickly, so that has to be considered when looking at the initial cost.

Needless to say, my 940 will be getting Goodyear Vector 4 Season tyres soon
HTH!
RollingThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RollingThunder For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 14th, 2022, 14:41   #3
Bonefishblues
Premier Member

I'm a Kinergy 4S fan too
Bonefishblues is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bonefishblues For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 14th, 2022, 15:06   #4
baggy798
🤍💙💗

Michelin CrossClimate 2 are la best!

https://www.tyrereviews.com/Article/...-Tyre-Test.htm

There's only £3-4 difference per tyre fitted price between those and the A005 EVOs.
Old Aug 14th, 2022, 16:13   #5
360beast
Go redblock or go home

I went for the A005 EVO on my 940 as they are better in the wet than cross climates and seeing as I think in my area there have only been about 10 days of snow in the last 3 years wet handling is much more important to me than anything else.

I find the wear very good, I've done about 10k miles with no issues, my car has Gaz GT adjustable dampers set to 10 out of 20 on the rear and the front end is polybushed. I've ordered the Gaz dampers for the front end so I will be very interested to see what difference it makes. The handling of these tyres is brilliant, I can push it to the limit of the tyres and I get plenty of notice that it is at the limit as I can feel the rear end starting to slide and it is very easy to control.

The wet handling and braking I find are the same as in the dry in general use but I'm not a plonker so if it is wet/damp roads I don't play.

I didn't lose grip ever in quite thick snow and had great control over the 940, not once did I feel like I didn't have grip or anything other than complete control.

I will only ever fit Bridgestone tyres to my cars as I've never had an issue with them for the last 6 years of using them.

I personally highly recommend them and so will Mark as he has Bridgestones on his 940 too.

I won't be fitting them again though as I'm going to fit bigger wheels and I will fit the Bridgestone Potenza sport tyres which are their performance tyres with great wet handling and braking.

https://www.bridgestone.co.uk/our-pr...-potenza/sport

If you aren't pushing your 940 then the A005 will be perfect for you.

My dad has cross climates on his Saab 9000 turbo and has done for a few years and loves them, they are quieter than the A005 tyres.

Last edited by 360beast; Aug 14th, 2022 at 16:16.
360beast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 14th, 2022, 18:00   #6
940volvoman
Master Member

Thanks 360beast.

If the 940 gets any quieter I shall start to think its electric!!
940volvoman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 940volvoman For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 14th, 2022, 19:30   #7
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Quote:
Originally Posted by 940volvoman View Post
Thanks 360beast.

If the 940 gets any quieter I shall start to think its electric!!
I can't remember what a quiet 940 is like haha, mine has a 3" exhaust with one silencer so it is rather loud!
360beast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 15th, 2022, 21:31   #8
J liddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggy798 View Post
Michelin CrossClimate 2 are la best!

https://www.tyrereviews.com/Article/...-Tyre-Test.htm

There's only £3-4 difference per tyre fitted price between those and the A005 EVOs.
I may go for cross climate. Next time
My car has had michelin energy for many years now but read cross climate are very good but expensive
J liddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to J liddy For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 16th, 2022, 10:06   #9
Ian21401
Premier Member

I’ve had Kleber Quadraxer on my 1992 940 for years. Fitted the first set in 2011. Fitted to standard steel wheels. No complaints. Excellent in all conditions. I was initially wary that they would wear quickly during the warmer weather but they didn’t.

Since 2005: 1992 Volvo 940 estate 2.0L. Manual. Daily driver and workhorse.
Ian21401 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ian21401 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 16th, 2022, 10:58   #10
volvo always
Premier Member

Michelin Energy savers on my 1996 940 LPT auto estate and prior 1989 240 GLT for 8 years.

No issues, been on 940 for 4-5 years and no cracking. Lots of tread as only do 2k a year in the car and in Winter on Goodyear Ultra Grip 9 Winter tyres that are fantastic in the snow, like the Beast from the east.

On my Auris Hybrid have fitted Goodyear efficient grip performance 2's and they seem a very good tyre. Quiet and grippy.

James
volvo always is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to volvo always For This Useful Post: