Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Back with a v70 mk2 and a question regarding lights

Views : 802

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 15th, 2022, 13:06   #11
gsxf1100
Back to Volvos again

Yes. Just called breakers around here.
Nothing.
They all have fog lights. Lol

I had a good look around tech stuff and I been thinking of hooking the fuse, which has signal from the switch, on a hook up split fuse, (don't know the right word for that)
But you just replace the fuse with a double fuse output using the feed for additional power.

From there running a wire in the engine room, put my own relais in, then cut the feed to the fogs near the plugs, and reconnect the new relais (external)
Reconnect to the fog light plug and using proper bulbs.
(.instead the whatever crap the previous owner tried to put in there)

( don't use a fuse to the original wiring and relais, leave empty so no power going to it)
Sounds maybe a lot work but in order to get it working as it should I may just choose this option.

For me maybe a 30minutes job with finding a suitable position for the new relais

The fog glass and housings are fine, no rust or breaks.

That should solve the problem.

( just like to have everything working. It also adds to the end value if stuff works instead just being there. Lol)
gsxf1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15th, 2022, 16:08   #12
gsxf1100
Back to Volvos again

OK.
, volvo isn't a normal car and defo the mk2 is not designed but someone with brain. Lol

All Lights and even brake light is fused to permanent positive and controlled over negative switches.

Using negative switches, dump idea for aftermarket add ons.

So, now looking into it dismantling the light switchboard to get the right feed for an external Powered relais as I really don't fancy going to volvo and feeding some mechanics 5. 5 kids just to replace a relais. Lol

I want to use the original switch but feed the external relais and wire the plugs to the fogs to get them working without spending a lot into it.

Seems a project in his own. Lol

But, wires, relais, fuse block and fuse is still cheaper as a volvo mechanic charge for just plug in and diagnose without actually hands on and doing it. Lol

Just need to have some sunshine now and an hour time to do it.
Old Aug 15th, 2022, 17:29   #13
volvo again
Master Member

I would seriously consider fitting decent quality bulbs instead of 80w ones that are probably not road legal...
I have osram nightbreakers in both cars and the light output is fine
Old Aug 17th, 2022, 13:56   #14
gsxf1100
Back to Volvos again

I have 80 watt before in my 99 model before exchanging to hid.

No more heath as 55 Watts.
Well, I have glass lenses, so no problem.
Just past mot to.

Alternative I would just bang high powered 8k halogen to it.
I refrained from that because of the looks on them.
55 watt bulbs are fine for someone driving 30 in villages, not overland in rain and dark.
New cars have equivilant 80 watt and is not blinding oncoming cars on low beam.
Defo not more as newer type cars managed to do.

The fogs now working to.
Got a friend he came around and managed to dive under the panel to exchange this relais.
So all works and is proper light to see further then 15yards. Lol

On a side note, those 55 watt looking outdated and yellow, they may good if you drive with streetlights, or slow across country lanes.
If you drive a lot and want to avoid wildlife damage on your bumpers the brighter bulbs is a defently yes to get.

Night breakers maybe look brighter but for having just a touch white the costs for them are not for every consumers idea of pay for, especially for only a slight touch of improvement.

Ideally I would have the whole lightunits upgraded to the new style but the costs putting me off to do so.

I wouldn't go for 100 watt. That would be the ones you scream for not being legal. It says for off road use only for a reason.