Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

C30 AC low pressure switch part number confusion!

Views : 1074

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 20th, 2019, 16:28   #1
VolvoRob38

Default C30 AC low pressure switch part number confusion!

Hello again, onto the next problem solving mission.

C30 1.6d 2009

My AC compressor is not kicking in and with a little help from Cheshire5 on here testing for voltage and continuity narrowed the problem down to the low pressure switch. Recently confirmed by running diagnostics with dice and vida... and bridging the connector with wire the AC compressor kicks in and I get cold air. Also gas level was checked and is full with no leaks. So pretty confident the low pressure switch is the problem.

I ordered a new part from ebay (Germany) and when I received it I noticed it looked different and the part number was not the same. I tried it any way but it did not work.

So I contacted my local volvo garage and ordered the right part directly. Went today only to find it's the same part I ordered from ebay, the parts guy looked on his computer and said the old part number has been changed to this new upgraded part and number.

Old low pressure switch 30780427
New low pressure switch 31332642

I decided to try it anyway as the guy said I could get a refund if it didn't work, but hay ho what do you know... doesn't work. I am confused as the parts have different numbers and don't even look the same! (Photos attach)

(The bigger one is the old switch, with the yellow nipple inside).

Has anyone replaced their low pressure switch in a c30 and how does it compare to my new and old switches??

When I asked the volvo guy what is my next move he just shrugged his shoulders and said I need to speak to the technicians guy (2 desks along). So I did, and his only solution was to book it in for £50 so they could do a fresh diagnostic on it. I'm not paying £50 to be told what I already know or so they can change parts that don't need changing. I asked if there was a technical department I could phone but he said volvo only speak to technicians.

Thank God for volvoforums.org.uk lol

Update: is there a way to test the low pressure switch i.e. should there be continuity when testing the 2 pins inside the switch?

I was wondering if it could be the valve on the AC pipe. It's like a tyre valve and when I press it in I get a squirt of air/gas, seems to be ok.
If I can't buy the old style low pressure switch anymore I might try a used one, but want to confirm mine is definitely not working via a continuity test etc. So I can tell the difference.

Could the pressure be the issue where by it's not giving enough pressure to activate the switch, and so not activating the compressor. Although I had the gas checked at Halfords where he said it was full just after only 2 squirts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rps20190820_153446.jpg (101.5 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg rps20190820_153407.jpg (58.3 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg rps20190820_153505.jpg (58.8 KB, 15 views)

Last edited by VolvoRob38; Aug 20th, 2019 at 18:32.
VolvoRob38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21st, 2019, 09:37   #2
VolvoRob38

The only thing I can think of is the pressure is too low in the system. Apparently the pressure at the low pressure switch needs to be no less than 25psi otherwise the switch won't work. Maybe the guy at Halfords with his little can of gas wasn't the best person to rely on for an accurate AC gas status.
After reading another post on here I am taking it to a friend of a friend's garage today who's got a proper AC maintenance machine. Let's see what happens 🤞🏼
Old Aug 22nd, 2019, 18:11   #3
VolvoRob38

Yes, after all that it was the AC pressure not activating the low pressure switch. I now have working air con.

Moral of the story; don't rely on a Halfords shop assistant to test your AC lol ✌🏼
Old Aug 14th, 2022, 03:29   #4
C30D3SE

Cant thanks this forum enough. I solved for aircon problem finally !

I have a Volvo c30 d3 2011 model and the aircon just stopped working in March all of sudden.

These are the steps I performed:

1) Checked the clutch was working by jumping the relay.(aircon Worked although not super cool but did work)
2) check gas pressure (was zero since the gas was not going in with clutch not engaging. Jumped relay and regassed and then the system maintained 40 psi with no leaks.
3) checked Low pressure sensor by jumping the lead with a small wire or paper clip . (Aircon worked great and super cool but back to warm air when paper clip removed).
4) Finally replaced Low pressure sensor part no .31332642 cost £36 from Volvo parts -arrived next day after ordering (although Chinesium look alike for £20 on ebay for 2 weeks wait). You will need 17 mm open socket or a adjustble wrench to remove the old sensor , space is very limited so a slim and short wrench will go in and also remove the engine cover.
5) straight replacement , does not need system purged or regassed after or before, takes 5 mins if you have the right wrench.

Hope this helps !

Thanks !
C30D3SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14th, 2022, 17:34   #5
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolvoRob38 View Post
Hello again, onto the next problem solving mission.

C30 1.6d 2009

My AC compressor is not kicking in and with a little help from Cheshire5 on here testing for voltage and continuity narrowed the problem down to the low pressure switch. Recently confirmed by running diagnostics with dice and vida... and bridging the connector with wire the AC compressor kicks in and I get cold air. Also gas level was checked and is full with no leaks. So pretty confident the low pressure switch is the problem.

I ordered a new part from ebay (Germany) and when I received it I noticed it looked different and the part number was not the same. I tried it any way but it did not work.

So I contacted my local volvo garage and ordered the right part directly. Went today only to find it's the same part I ordered from ebay, the parts guy looked on his computer and said the old part number has been changed to this new upgraded part and number.

Old low pressure switch 30780427
New low pressure switch 31332642

I decided to try it anyway as the guy said I could get a refund if it didn't work, but hay ho what do you know... doesn't work. I am confused as the parts have different numbers and don't even look the same! (Photos attach)

(The bigger one is the old switch, with the yellow nipple inside).

Has anyone replaced their low pressure switch in a c30 and how does it compare to my new and old switches??

When I asked the volvo guy what is my next move he just shrugged his shoulders and said I need to speak to the technicians guy (2 desks along). So I did, and his only solution was to book it in for £50 so they could do a fresh diagnostic on it. I'm not paying £50 to be told what I already know or so they can change parts that don't need changing. I asked if there was a technical department I could phone but he said volvo only speak to technicians.

Thank God for volvoforums.org.uk lol

Update: is there a way to test the low pressure switch i.e. should there be continuity when testing the 2 pins inside the switch?

I was wondering if it could be the valve on the AC pipe. It's like a tyre valve and when I press it in I get a squirt of air/gas, seems to be ok.
If I can't buy the old style low pressure switch anymore I might try a used one, but want to confirm mine is definitely not working via a continuity test etc. So I can tell the difference.

Could the pressure be the issue where by it's not giving enough pressure to activate the switch, and so not activating the compressor. Although I had the gas checked at Halfords where he said it was full just after only 2 squirts.
How was the "gas level" checked ? there is only one way , take the gas out and put the correct volume back in...

Tags
air con, low pressure switch