Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V50d anti skid

Views : 699

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 27th, 2022, 20:38   #1
Ashmere

Default V50d anti skid

Hi all
We've had our v50 2.0d for a few years with few probs until now
Main issue "anti-skid service required"
When this comes up all lights, indicators, instruments fail but the engine runs at idle speed only, leave it a minute, restart and all is well for a few miles until it happens again.
Reading into this common prob I'm looking at replacing the SWM/clock spring, now, can I fit a known good used part? Will it require a software upgrade or are they plug and play? Any advice appreciated.
Codes thrown

Abs 0115 comms to SWM missing
Eps0080 steering wheel angle sensor faulty
Eps0071 power supply signal low

Cheers
Ashmere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2022, 10:46   #2
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Check your alternator as well - it's a crappy Ford part and known to cause similar issues when it's on its way out which is almost inevitable circa 150-160k miles.

The clock spring does not need coding.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2022, 22:40   #3
Ashmere

Used car today for several trips a few local and a fifty miler and the wife has just driven to work, total approx 100 miles or more with no reoccurrence of the anti skid warning today, a contrast to the 9 times in a mile the other morning.
It's all a bit odd.
Old May 28th, 2022, 22:55   #4
Ashmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post
Check your alternator as well - it's a crappy Ford part and known to cause similar issues when it's on its way out which is almost inevitable circa 150-160k miles.

The clock spring does not need coding.
When the auto elec guy came he checked alt output and was all OK and battery was also showing as healthy 12.6v (and only 2yrs old varta) so ruled that out, he was adamant changing the clock spring and removing and cleaning the contacts on the main CEM board under the dash will resolve the issue..
So it's over to him. Says he's done a fair few of them with a good success rate.
Old May 30th, 2022, 16:35   #5
Ashmere

So a few days and another 100 miles, car used a dozen times or so without a hitch or anti skid message flashing up, tho on Friday I did just check for any loose plugs on CEM. Coincidence?
Old Aug 13th, 2022, 22:33   #6
Ashmere

OK time for an update, I purchased an Icarsoft from a forum member some weeks back and run and cleared all codes checked as much as I possibly could using the device, I then removed the battery to access the plug on the brake module so I could clean and inspect the pins,
This particular fault no signal bcm to swm was persistent,
On removal of the bcm plug- which didn't appear to be clamped fully down and came away far too easily and has never been touched by myself revealing a whitish dusty deposits at the bottom end of the plug and the 2 end pins looking the same, almost like a limescale.
Went to the local DIY shop a brought the tiniest nylon brush that I could find and a can of wd40 contact cleaner, I then drenched the plug and bcm socket with said fluid and flushed all s%%t out, then went andhad a cup of tea.
30 mins later after it had dried I then soaked them again and set to with the tiny nylon brush cleaning every tiny bit then blow drying with airline, leave to dry one final clean, reassemble, fit new battery as the old one is OK but not great.
This was some weeks back and approx 1500 miles since with no further issues, no codes thrown and I personally think the car is now generally running better and smoother and recently returned 56 mpg on a 700 mile trip.
Total cost of repair was less than £200 Inc of the price of the icarsoft, which is £1000 less than a dealer quote to replace the bcm (which it appears didn't actually need replacing)
So far so good.
Saved from the scrapheap.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ashmere For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 13th, 2022, 23:21   #7
Willber G
Upstanding Member

Good result.
Old Aug 25th, 2022, 09:47   #8
Ashmere

Another 560miles towing a caravan didn't miss a beat and returned 38mpg average with 1100kg hooked on the back.