Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New (to me) 1980 Volvo 244

Views : 1774635

Replies : 4083

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 11th, 2022, 00:18   #3171
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
Well Bob, in 1977 the price of an average house in the UK was £9,737 - so £5,595 might have bought a nice flat in somewhere like Leicester. In that context a Volvo 240 was pretty expensive!
Pretty much, Alan. In that year, Linda paid £6.7K for a nice one bed flat in a newish block in Mountsorrel, just North of the city. Unlike motor cars, however, which rarely appreciate, it went on to sell for considerably more than that just four years later when we were buying our first house together.

In contrast, my Mini, for which I had paid £2.2K new in 1978, sold for just £950. Cars may be fun and nice to have, but they are a depreciating asset.

The better investment was, is still, and, I think, always will be property. I just wish that I had realised that when I was younger, and invested so, instead of contributing, as was my wont, into pension schemes. A few may have performed well, but most seemingly not. The way mine is doing right now I'm convinced that I would have had more fun by feeding £20 notes into the shredder!

Hey ho ...

Regards, John.

P.S. I sense a thread on alternative investments coming on ... J.
Old Aug 11th, 2022, 07:55   #3172
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.wigley View Post
Pretty much, Alan. In that year, Linda paid £6.7K for a nice one bed flat in a newish block in Mountsorrel, just North of the city. Unlike motor cars, however, which rarely appreciate, it went on to sell for considerably more than that just four years later when we were buying our first house together.

In contrast, my Mini, for which I had paid £2.2K new in 1978, sold for just £950. Cars may be fun and nice to have, but they are a depreciating asset.

The better investment was, is still, and, I think, always will be property. I just wish that I had realised that when I was younger, and invested so, instead of contributing, as was my wont, into pension schemes. A few may have performed well, but most seemingly not. The way mine is doing right now I'm convinced that I would have had more fun by feeding £20 notes into the shredder!

Hey ho ...

Regards, John.

P.S. I sense a thread on alternative investments coming on ... J.
You are so right John; on these little islands of ours where the already large population has increased by a third (from 50 to 67 millions) in my lifetime it was inevitable that limited supply and increasing demand would increase the value of land and houses. I suppose the cost of the average house in our nation has increased by about 27 times since 1977, so the cost of that 1977 Volvo 240 would today be £154,000 relative to property.

In my lifetime I have owned 9 houses; I only have two today, but in hindsight I'd have found ways to keep all of them (and maybe some more) - today I'd own a stock worth £4 to £5 million. Dan (who will be 18 in a few weeks) has realised the value of housing as an investment and is already planning to buy his first with some cash I'll give him on his birthday. I wish I'd had that foresight when I was 18!

A better bellwether for Bob's comparison might be the price of gold. It sold for about £85/oz in 1977, and today is £1,465/oz - so that is 17 times as much. By that measure the 1977 Volvo 240 would have cost the equivalent of £96,900 today.

I suppose one might conclude a few things. The first might be that new motor cars have become very cheap over the past 45 years, a similar equivalent to that 240 in today's market might be £30-£40,000 (I just looked up the XC40, which apparently cost £35,000). One might also conclude (as you have John) that whilst fun, motor cars are quickly depreciating assets.

It will be fine in the RB thread goes off on an alternative investments tangent for a while - it has previously taken us on many diversions away from a 1980 Volvo 244.

Another lovely day in paradise,

Alan

Last edited by Othen; Aug 11th, 2022 at 08:57. Reason: Grammar.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 11th, 2022, 09:17   #3173
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob 1967 View Post
I like Steelies, but the 122S looks nice with the wires.
It's a '64 so not dissimilar to yours .
I don't think it would be all that difficult to convert an Amazon to wire wheels Bob. These bolt on adaptors are for a Triumph (Stag, TR6 etc) are 4x4.5" PCD, but I suspect the manufacturer could drill them to 5x4.5" to fit a Volvo easily:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/353417688411?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=710-134428-41853-0&mkcid=2&itemid=353417688411&targetid=14030350151 87&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=1006653&poi=&camp aignid=17218284410&mkgroupid=142217514411&rlsatarg et=aud-1195034332244la-1403035015187&abcId=9300867&merchantid=7465884&gcl id=CjwKCAjw0dKXBhBPEiwA2bmObTJMt1srW8TOaAZo-PkiKCCQamcRJmb7B-wmofH6lNs0wplJpNMzSBoCzQUQAvD_BwE

... they only cost £165/set/ The wheels might be expensive, depending on what quality and whether they were new or second hand they might be £150 to £2,500/set. Here is a nice set of 15" MGC wheels for £150 that would be just about right and already have a period patina (complete with a missing spoke in one wheel - just like a motor car might have in 1975):

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/295127157...UAAOSw0Ohi6CNd

Another lovely day in paradise.

Last edited by Othen; Aug 11th, 2022 at 10:41. Reason: Grammar.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 12th, 2022, 20:22   #3174
Othen
Premier Member

Default B230 Preparation

I've finished work on preparing the RB and the AW71 for its trip north, so I started work on the B230 motor.

I took off the flex plate, there was no sign of any leaking but I decided to change the rear crank seal anyway:

... I hooked out the seal to find that is is a slightly different size from the spare one I had (for a B21/23 motor, that must have been one of the changes Volvo made). This one is part #430118. No matter; I've ordered a new one for only £8.35 delivered and will fit it next week.

The other 3 seals look like they are the same size as the B21, so I'll swap them at the same time.

I'm in two minds about changing the head gasket, there are no signs of failure - but I have a spare one in the gaskets set. I will check the valve clearances and change the spacers if I need to, then change the hushers and the cam belt. There are a few exhaust studs that look a but rough, so I'll swap the almost new set out of the spare 160 head I have.

I was thinking that I might as well remove both manifolds to give access to the block and then clean it up and patch paint with some nice Hamerite red.

I'll give the K-Jetronic system a visual check over and a clean up with some silicone spray so it looks nice. I'm in two minds as to whether I re-fit it or dry store it.

I haven't got a use for the B230e yet, but I might as well have it prepared for when something comes up. One possibility is a 244 GLE (or is it a GL in disguise?) currently being discussed in the 'Seriously?' thread.

:-)

Last edited by Othen; Aug 12th, 2022 at 22:04. Reason: Grammar.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 13th, 2022, 00:30   #3175
Bob 1967
Master Member

You could always get some "box section" and make yourself a nice engine stand .
Knowing your capabilities , you would knock it out in an afternoon!
It could ensure working on the engine was a piece of cake and it would make a fine accompaniment to the hoist.
Making it possible to jerry rig up a full system to run on the stand( for science).

As for the head gasket , if it ain't broke...
But I know your itching to see its innards!

Last edited by Bob 1967; Aug 13th, 2022 at 00:32.
Bob 1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bob 1967 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 13th, 2022, 07:29   #3176
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob 1967 View Post
You could always get some "box section" and make yourself a nice engine stand .
Knowing your capabilities , you would knock it out in an afternoon!
It could ensure working on the engine was a piece of cake and it would make a fine accompaniment to the hoist.
Making it possible to jerry rig up a full system to run on the stand( for science).

As for the head gasket , if it ain't broke...
But I know your itching to see its innards!
You are absolutely right on both counts Bob.

If I haven't fitted the engine to something soon I was thinking I'd make some brackets to fit the 2 engine mounts plus something for the back.

You are probably right about the head gasket, but pulling the head off would only take 20 minutes and I could check the bores :-)

Alan
Old Aug 13th, 2022, 09:57   #3177
Dippydog
Premier Member

Generally speaking I'm firmly in the "If it ain't broke" camp.However while you've got the engine there in front of you it might be wise to give it a thorough check do the headgasket etc[I see you're already doing the oil seals]rather than fit it into something only to find it needs work that'd be easier done now.
Dippydog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dippydog For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 17th, 2022, 10:38   #3178
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
I've finished work on preparing the RB and the AW71 for its trip north, so I started work on the B230 motor.

I took off the flex plate, there was no sign of any leaking but I decided to change the rear crank seal anyway:

... I hooked out the seal to find that is is a slightly different size from the spare one I had (for a B21/23 motor, that must have been one of the changes Volvo made). This one is part #430118. No matter; I've ordered a new one for only £8.35 delivered and will fit it next week.

The other 3 seals look like they are the same size as the B21, so I'll swap them at the same time.

I'm in two minds about changing the head gasket, there are no signs of failure - but I have a spare one in the gaskets set. I will check the valve clearances and change the spacers if I need to, then change the hushers and the cam belt. There are a few exhaust studs that look a but rough, so I'll swap the almost new set out of the spare 160 head I have.

I was thinking that I might as well remove both manifolds to give access to the block and then clean it up and patch paint with some nice Hamerite red.

I'll give the K-Jetronic system a visual check over and a clean up with some silicone spray so it looks nice. I'm in two minds as to whether I re-fit it or dry store it.

I haven't got a use for the B230e yet, but I might as well have it prepared for when something comes up. One possibility is a 244 GLE (or is it a GL in disguise?) currently being discussed in the 'Seriously?' thread.

The new rear crank seal arrived in the mail the other day, so I put it on the B230 motor this morn. I'll change the front seals sometime next week and then check over the head.

I'm not sure what I'll do with this motor yet, but I may as well make sure it is in good order.

The RB is pretty well ready to travel North on Monday; it will be the end of an era (or will it - watch this space).

Old Aug 17th, 2022, 11:40   #3179
Moomoo
VOC Member

Oooh! You are a tease!😈
Old Aug 17th, 2022, 11:48   #3180
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moomoo View Post
Oooh! You are a tease!😈
... okay Andrew, here is something to whet your appetite: