Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Performance Volvo Cars
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Performance Volvo Cars A forum for those interested in any Volvo performance car from any era, FWD, RWD and AWD!

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Scary XC60 Polestar

Views : 4959

Replies : 24

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 23rd, 2022, 15:52   #11
Ulrikas PA
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cull06 View Post

I suspect it’s to do with the imbalance between the ice/supercharger/turbo putting 330bhp through the front whilst the electric is trying to put 80 through the rear (numbers all approx) and the car struggles to do that without the frankly huge torque steer.

Embrace it and enjoy it 👍
Interesting this. I have a 2017MY V60 diesel hybrid with Polestar (290ish bhp and 470ish lbft combined) and just a couple of times I've had twitchy steering when flooring it for an overtake. I reckon part of this is road surface related as it deals with a dollop of torque, as mine is on Michelin Cross Climates also.
Ulrikas PA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ulrikas PA For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 17th, 2022, 11:35   #12
N777ckg

I have to xc90 t8 455bhp, and it torque steers like no other car I’ve owned, literally can not overtake in a straight line! I expected it to be similar to the previous version (390ish), but it’s alot worse and that’s without a supercharger.
For info I’m runnning the continental premium contact 6, and I’m not o rely impressed so far with them, think I’ll be moving brands when these have scrubbed off.
N777ckg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17th, 2022, 11:52   #13
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by heskuna View Post
Does mine have a fault? When I floor it to overtake quickly it is like trying to control a stallion. I almost sideswiped a car when I first tried it. Instead of a nice smooth overtake it is a series of steering corrections. I don't think it is tracking as it is ok normally and there is no uneven wear on the tyres. I detect some tramlining occasionally and sometimes it feels as if the wheels are loose. I appreciate that sounds alarming but I put it down to being a bit sensitive to the issue. I have the suspension set to 10 so it is bit on the hard side. I have had the car a year and it has been the same throughout, even when I had new tyres on the front.

Has anyone else had a similar experience or do their cars behave themselves?
yes it does have a fault , This is not a trait of a modern Volvo, you need some premium tyres and a wheel Alignment check , are the dampers seized or too hard ??
Old Nov 3rd, 2022, 10:31   #14
bluey_xc90

I would get them to check the ohlins dampers - I hve a v60 polestar (2015, 3.ol) and would get similar being dragged to one side. Then knocks from front suspension and found shocks corroded and replaced them.

Once that was done no more wandering/torque steer like behaviour - showing damping was uneven under load with one side damping more than the other. The Ohlins are prone to failure - the older Polestar cars see it a lot, even from 20k miles...
bluey_xc90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bluey_xc90 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 2nd, 2022, 12:09   #15
xc60sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by N777ckg View Post
I have to xc90 t8 455bhp, and it torque steers like no other car I’ve owned, literally can not overtake in a straight line! I expected it to be similar to the previous version (390ish), but it’s alot worse and that’s without a supercharger.
For info I’m runnning the continental premium contact 6, and I’m not o rely impressed so far with them, think I’ll be moving brands when these have scrubbed off.

thats interesting, wouldn't have thought there would be that much torque steer
xc60sun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to xc60sun For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 13th, 2022, 13:25   #16
domhart10
Volvo S40

Quote:
Originally Posted by N777ckg View Post
Really does sound like something is wrong with your car if you are getting that much torque steer.

Probably need to check you tires, any odd wearing? checking the cambers or something, that just doesnt even sound close to correct.

Previous Volvo: 2008 S40 SE Lux R Design 2.0D
domhart10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13th, 2022, 19:11   #17
brickman
Premier Member

I mean so long as its consistant, then its torque steer, if it veers one way and then rapidly changes direction again, you've got issues.
Worn rack, worn suspension consumables, bad alignment, bad tyre pressure, bad tyre (could have a ruptured tyre or incorrect size for the rim so its sitting wrong), something at the back end, worn cv shafts, diff issue.

Does amaze me though that any production car with over 200 bhp is shipping with an open differential. Its like those £45k BMW M140i that have an open differential on a light ish weight RWD car with a reasonable amount of engine, they are almost all wrapped around a lampost by now.

DOnt' dismiss 'worn rack' because its new or low miles. Mate had a BMW 320iX from new and it had this light clunk in the front end from new, BMW could never find it. At 3 years old took it to specilist as he'd had enough of this vague tram lining and it constantly demolishing front tyres and the clunk. Yup rack had loads of vertical play inside, the 'cush' pad that keeps rack and pinion together was loose or at least its lock mechanism was loose. Likely been like that from factory and BMW never thought to look at this despite being asked and car being in the workshop for it at least 4 times (2 different dealer workshops).

Last edited by brickman; Dec 13th, 2022 at 19:13.
brickman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to brickman For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 13th, 2022, 22:43   #18
Dibble
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by domhart10 View Post
Really does sound like something is wrong with your car if you are getting that much torque steer.

Probably need to check you tires, any odd wearing? checking the cambers or something, that just doesnt even sound close to correct.
I have an XC60 with polestar Chip. The answer is don't floor it. Firm acceleration yes but it will go like stink if you floor it and you will have to hang on! The Polestar chip is something else! Brilliant.
I have just had it serviced and MOTd at Volvo Dealer's and don't have any of those problems. I'm quite sure the problem is purely excessive use of the throttle and nothing else. Try it on an empty stretch of road to get a proper feel of the car.

Last edited by Dibble; Dec 13th, 2022 at 22:47.
Dibble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13th, 2022, 23:12   #19
MikeGMT
VOC Member

I agree with Dibble. There's a clue in the first sentence. 'When I floor it to overtake quickly' and 'Instead of a nice smooth overtake it is a series of steering corrections'. Most probably caused by loading the front tyres up and applying some steering at the same time, so the tyres are having to share grip and a direction change at the same time, then it's a case of steer, correct, repeat. Much better to move out then apply the power when the wheels are straightened to complete the overtake.

Last edited by MikeGMT; Dec 13th, 2022 at 23:16.
MikeGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14th, 2022, 12:49   #20
domhart10
Volvo S40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dibble View Post
I have an XC60 with polestar Chip. The answer is don't floor it. Firm acceleration yes but it will go like stink if you floor it and you will have to hang on! The Polestar chip is something else! Brilliant.
I have just had it serviced and MOTd at Volvo Dealer's and don't have any of those problems. I'm quite sure the problem is purely excessive use of the throttle and nothing else. Try it on an empty stretch of road to get a proper feel of the car.
Yes definitely gradual acceleration is good control.

I have a XC60 T6 Polestar (329bhp) and floor it with no torque steer from stand still or overtaking.

I do also have a 2009 Volvo S40 T5 (410bhp) and I get a lot of torque steer understandably as its fwd.

I do also have an A45 over 400bhp and even that has 0 torque steer from stand still or over taking.

For me it still seems odd that the car from the factory has torque steer, maybe its running too much power to the front wheels and not the back? which is why its fighting, but an AWD from factory should be completely manageable with planted power, unless slippery surface's or as mention tires etc not up to the power of the car?

Previous Volvo: 2008 S40 SE Lux R Design 2.0D
domhart10 is offline   Reply With Quote