Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What are the best tyres to put on an XC90?

Views : 807765

Replies : 1192

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 9th, 2022, 21:07   #1161
Brownr60

dont know if you guys have heard of tyre shopper, its part of national tyres if you buy with tyre shopper its cheaper than going to national and getting them of the peg so to speak they get delivered to them ,you pick a day and time slot sorted and there is no extra to pay like disposal balance its all in the price of the tyres and put the code in and get 5% off the price hope this helps guys
Brownr60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9th, 2022, 21:35   #1162
TruckbusUK
Petrolhead+Lots of Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownr60 View Post
dont know if you guys have heard of tyre shopper, its part of national tyres if you buy with tyre shopper its cheaper than going to national and getting them of the peg so to speak they get delivered to them ,you pick a day and time slot sorted and there is no extra to pay like disposal balance its all in the price of the tyres and put the code in and get 5% off the price hope this helps guys
I have used them twice, and never again, first time they "delivered" my tyres to Swansea ... I'm in Glasgow, then when they eventually arrived there was only 3 tyres ... the 4th was "lost", a replacement was sent that was 2 years older than the other 3. Lost it with their CS and cancelled the order.

Second attempt, tyres lost 3 times and 6 weeks late before they arrived .... this time to Ayr depot... I'm still in Glasgow. Their head office is right behind the National Tyre depot I was supposed to be getting them fitted at wonder where they think that was.

Again nonsense from CS, so never again no matter how tempting their offers are.

Just my opinion, hopefully you have better luck than I have had.
TruckbusUK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TruckbusUK For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 8th, 2022, 21:03   #1163
Brownr60

Default tyres

i have got Avons on my XC90, got them on a site called tyre shopper, they are part of National tyres, when you bye them on line, you pick a date and time to fit them and your tyres are sent there the nearest centre to you and that price is all in no extras to pay like wheel balance disposal of your old ones and if you buy the avons you will get another 5% of when you put the code in on the web site worth a try guys
Brownr60 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brownr60 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 25th, 2022, 20:38   #1164
Chunk11

Previously purchased a set of Goodyear wrangler all terrain tyres 235/65/17 for my xc90 approximately 5 years and 35,000 miles ago…. Been rotated front to back a couple of times but now down to about 3mm with the 2 on the near side being more like 2mm on the outer shoulder so time for replacement.
I’ve gone for the same again as they are great tyres and 4 fully fitted at my house for £436 through tyre shopper. Here’s to another 5 years and 35,000 miles fingers crossed 🤞🏻
Old Sep 27th, 2022, 22:29   #1165
AlainBrighton
A stranger from abroad

Default Anyone here changed 19" for 17" ?

Hi all,

I have an 2010 XC90 D5 Executive with the standard 19" wheels which came with Pirelli Scorpion Zero Assymetrico in 255/50 R19 fitted.
After a couple of days I have my doubts keeping these: the tyres seem to be very effected by the English road quality (or better said the lack of quality) and every time I hit a pothole I just wonder what the damage to my wheels will be and when I have my very first puncture.

As I am used to 17" wheelsl (and particularly fond of the design of the Antaeus wheels) I am wondering who has experience with these wheels (especially versus the 19" Galateia wheels) If I am properly informed, smaller wheels are better in rain and snow whilst bigger wheels are better for high speed dry circumstances ?

Most of my experience is with Michelin Cross Climates, Michelin Lattitude and Dunlop Sport Maxx for summer tyres and Michelin Alpin and Continental WinterContacts for winter and given that I spend a fair amount in the Alps would still prefer to consider keeping at least a 17" set for winter and perhaps the 19" for summer or just store them and run a 2nd 17" set in summer too.

Any thoughts ?

Cheers,
Alain

Find me on Instagram as SussexChineseDutch
AlainBrighton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28th, 2022, 09:30   #1166
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Location: 2007 Volvo XC90 D5 Geartronic. South of Hadrians Wall.

My car has 18" alloys and I fitted a full set of these a little over two years ago.

All in all I have found them to be faultless.

https://www.yokohamatire.com/tires/geolandar-a-t-g015

2007 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Geartronic
S60D5-185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11th, 2022, 00:57   #1167
AlainBrighton
A stranger from abroad

Default 235 50 18

Some chap is offering wheels with size 235 50 18. Is that actually a size for the XC90 mk 1 ?
I remember that I once bought wheels that turned out to be for the XC60 as the ET was wrong ? Wheels would not fit on my previous XC90. Is that the same case here with that size ?

I only know the 235 65 17, the 235 60 18 and the 255 50 19 ?

Find me on Instagram as SussexChineseDutch
AlainBrighton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18th, 2022, 20:13   #1168
SkipjackUK
VOC Member

wowser, this seems like an amazing offer, saw it on HotUKDeals

Amazing price for 4 x Fitted Michelin 235/60 R18 107 (W) PILOT SPORT 4 at £181.92( After £80 off via Costco Offer and £50 cashback from Michelin via redemption)

Michelin Tyre offer at Costco is back for a week until 23 October 2022: Save up to £100 on Michelin Tyres | Costco UK

4 x Michelin 235/60 R18 107 (W) PILOT SPORT 4 SUV - £231.92

If you are Costco Warehouse Member, you can book and pay it online - Just choose your tyres, preferred date and the location

* Price includes £8.40 fitting charge per tyre. Fitting price includes:
Mounting & balancing
Nitrogen tyre inflation
New rubber valve Stem
All Tyres pressure checked
Scrap tyre disposal

Old May 25th, 2023, 17:54   #1169
Andymharrison

I know this is old wanted to share my experience with Costco and SUV type cars, they have some odd rules when it comes to fitting.

Garage pointed out one of my rear tyres was on the way out, I knew both rears were oldest so took a quick photo of sidewall went to computer and ordered 2 x 235/60R18 107V to match the photo from Costco.

When they arrived we went for fitting only to get a call to say they couldn't do it as they could not mix types. I hadn't noticed the previous owner had put 103 rating on the front and 107 on the back.

So even though I was fitting the correct tyre they flatly refused, would have done all 4 if I had paid but they had no stock, took a very long "discussion" with CS to get refunded.

My fault for not checking all 4 tyres but an easy mistake to make.
Andymharrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2023, 18:35   #1170
Bonefishblues
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andymharrison View Post
I know this is old wanted to share my experience with Costco and SUV type cars, they have some odd rules when it comes to fitting.

Garage pointed out one of my rear tyres was on the way out, I knew both rears were oldest so took a quick photo of sidewall went to computer and ordered 2 x 235/60R18 107V to match the photo from Costco.

When they arrived we went for fitting only to get a call to say they couldn't do it as they could not mix types. I hadn't noticed the previous owner had put 103 rating on the front and 107 on the back.

So even though I was fitting the correct tyre they flatly refused, would have done all 4 if I had paid but they had no stock, took a very long "discussion" with CS to get refunded.

My fault for not checking all 4 tyres but an easy mistake to make.
What's the correct load rating - 103 or 107?
Bonefishblues is offline   Reply With Quote