Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1988 Volvo 240 GL B200E K-JET ENGINE -OIL IN AIR INTAKE HOSE

Views : 947

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 4th, 2022, 22:59   #1
crcowley

Question 1988 Volvo 240 GL B200E K-JET ENGINE -OIL IN AIR INTAKE HOSE

Hi,

I’m hoping that one of you clever people out there can help me with an issue relating to a residue of oil in the air intake hose from the air filter housing to the engine.

I have a 1988 Volvo 240 GL with a B200E K-Jetronic engine.........I have tried to understand from other posts as to what may be causing this, but am totally confused with talk of “Flame Traps”, “PCV’s”, “Oil Traps” etc. It all seems to be located under the intake manifold, and as a novice to this game I am loathed to go in gung ho without knowing what the cause may be. Perhaps it isn’t an issue at all, but I suspect something may need attention.....the engine has done 221k of miles after all!

Many thanks in advance of any advice forthcoming!

All the best.

Charles.
crcowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4th, 2022, 23:50   #2
Bob Meadows
Premier Member

Charles:~
This link should take you to a "how to do it" - the pictures have disappeared but it is still a descent guide https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...ght=flame+trap

The job is a little fiddly but quite straight forward with no great problems- when I done my car (same model as yours) the parts just needed a light clean, this included the catchment tank. You may also find that the flame trap itself has been removed, common practice now to leave it out.
All parts are accessible without removing the manifold.
If you have a manual then it is also covered etc.
The oil build up is a likely cause of the crank case ventilation needing a service.
With a little luck all existing parts can be cleaned and reused:

Nothing to be afraid of- give it a go.
Good luck.
Regards Bob.
Bob Meadows is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4th, 2022, 23:56   #3
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Meadows View Post
This link should take you to a "how to do it" - the pictures have disappeared but it is still a descent guide https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...ght=flame+trap

The job is a little fiddly but quite straight forward with no great problems- when I done my car (same model as yours) the parts just needed a light clean, this included the catchment tank. You may also find that the flame trap itself has been removed, common practice now to leave it out.
The oil build up is a likely cause of the crank case ventilation needing a service.

Good luck.
Regards Bob.
The flame trap was deleted by volvo 26 years ago .
you need to think hard before removing the breather housing on the block , if the rubber pipe going down into the sump sticks to the housing it will pull up out of its clip in the bottom of the block meaning you will have to take the sump off to refit it properly.
Old Jun 5th, 2022, 10:51   #4
crcowley

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Meadows View Post

Good luck.
Regards Bob.
Hi Bob,

Many thanks for taking the time to reply to my question, and for offering your invaluable advice - I will give it a go!

I do have a manual of sorts....the Haynes one, not sure if that is what you are referring to as opposed to an official Volvo servicing manual?

I'm slightly phased by the response from Clan regarding the oil pipe sticking to the sump housing, so will watch out for that.....like everything on my car, nothing is budging easily and there is the constant fear of breakage etc!

Thanks once again.

Charles.
Old Jun 5th, 2022, 10:54   #5
crcowley

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
The flame trap was deleted by volvo 26 years ago .
you need to think hard before removing the breather housing on the block , if the rubber pipe going down into the sump sticks to the housing it will pull up out of its clip in the bottom of the block meaning you will have to take the sump off to refit it properly.
Many thanks for this additional advice - I will indeed be very mindful before removing anything!

All the best.

Charles.
Old Jun 5th, 2022, 12:02   #6
Bob Meadows
Premier Member

Hello Charles:~
I found the Haynes manual fine for this procedure: because of the learning curve just take some time: If you are unsure then very easy to get positive advice without sounding alarmist.

I'm sure that once completed you will find that it is a straight forward job when approached with reasonable care.
Regular oil & filter changes are part of the routine in keeping this system working as designed (sure you know that though)

Most of these type of jobs are perfectly doable by a home mechanic- one reason we run them I suppose.
Good Luck.
Regards Bob.
Old Jun 5th, 2022, 12:38   #7
crcowley

Thanks Bob.

Yes, I've just found this on page 78 of my Haynes manual, so will give it a go when the weather allows! To be honest with you, I didn't even know what PCV stood for until you explained!!! I have checked back through the service records, and there is no mention that this procedure has ever taken place, which is a bit worrying after 221k of miles!!! At least there is no oil seeping from the rocker cover gasket, so all good there. My car hasn't run on the road for 12 years now, and the engine hasn't been run for three years so plenty to do!!! I guess I should replace the cam belt before even thinking of turning it over again in case that snaps on start-up!!!

Having a lot of fun though, and determined to get it up & running again.......and the forum is absolutely invaluable, being able to get advice from kind people like yourself.

Many thanks again.

Charles.
Old Jun 5th, 2022, 12:59   #8
Bob Meadows
Premier Member

Yes you have a bit of work to do Charles:~
Cam belt is a " MUST" together with associated parts- again plenty of advice available but another straight forward project.

Although my car came with a descent history & service record I don't recall the PCV being listed either, better to be safe.
I'm just over 85'000 so very lucky in that respect but the servicing is way above the recommended.

Good to hear that another one is getting looked after!
Regards Bob.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bob Meadows For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 5th, 2022, 14:01   #9
crcowley

Thanks for the words of encouragement, Bob!

I've just been outside to have a look following our correspondence, and think I am getting a clearer picture of the PCV situation........I will try & get to that this week if possible.

All in all, the car is structurally very good (I recently had a lot of welding done on both front sides of the floor due to rust in the usual places); my known two issues to address are the power steering, which suddenly became heavy & awkward (I don't know yet if that if that is due to the pump, belts or rack - would you know what is the correct fluid to use, as the stuff in there is a brownish red which has been there for years), and also my speedo has packed up although it intermittently used to jump back into life! This could be due to a disrupted connection, as I fitted a new fan heater motor at one point. Other than that, just brakes....when I took the wheels off I was greeted with 4 matching rust balls, so that should be fun when I get to them!!! I think the suspension is all in good shape....I may take apart to clean up and replace some of the bushes, though.

Hopefully I will be able to take it along to one of the meet-ups one day!

All the best.

Charles.
The Following User Says Thank You to crcowley For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 5th, 2022, 17:01   #10
Bob Meadows
Premier Member

Hi Charles:~
I use Dexron11 for the power steering- you should also find confirmation in the Haynes manual.
The last one I purchased had been from Smith & Allan (good for most oils)
A change of fluid made my steering lighter even though the fluid wasn't that bad.

The 5 speed box (M47) is one you need to watch as it is oil specific: Type F. ATF
But plenty of information available when ready.
Regards Bob.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bob Meadows For This Useful Post: