Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Tailored wool upholstery

Views : 2534

Replies : 18

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 25th, 2022, 20:25   #1
ian77

Default Tailored wool upholstery

I’ve got a few weeks before I have to lock in the spec for my new V60 and I’m in two minds about the interior. I’m really tempted by the midnight zinc tailored wool. It looks great in the staged pictures but I can’t find a car anywhere to see it for real and the dealer hasn’t found one yet.

Does anyone here have tailored wool and how have you found it?

Thanks!
Old Jun 28th, 2022, 10:10   #2
Tony Gathercole

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian77 View Post
I’ve got a few weeks before I have to lock in the spec for my new V60 and I’m in two minds about the interior. I’m really tempted by the midnight zinc tailored wool. It looks great in the staged pictures but I can’t find a car anywhere to see it for real and the dealer hasn’t found one yet.

Does anyone here have tailored wool and how have you found it?

Thanks!
Not sure if it's "midnight zinc" but I've got the tailored wool in my V90 and I'm quite happy with it, with one exception. On my Late MY22 Inscription car the seat is the "sports" seat from the R-design family which I didn't really want but had to go with it to avoid leather seats which my wife didn't want.

Also, if you haven't already spotted it be aware that ventilated seats are not (or at least were not for MY22) available.

Last edited by Tony Gathercole; Jun 28th, 2022 at 10:19.
Tony Gathercole is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tony Gathercole For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 28th, 2022, 11:23   #3
SnineT
Extrahumanestrial

A lot of these new interiors are ok new but look shabby soon after real use, some are garish imo and Skoda have managed something that looks like grannies quilted dressing gown in some models,

Nicest cloth I ever had was in a Cavalier Diplomat, it was a medium grey cloth with very small colour specks throughout, not sure how it came to be as that car was supposed to have leather as it's only option, looked really nice and lifted the inside in much the same way a sunroof does,

If it's a black based one it should be a safe bet, avoid over complex designs as they really get old quick.

p.s just had a look and it's a light grey in a sort of tweedy effect, it wouldn't be for me if I'm honest and will probably look tired really quick, if you can push it to Nappa and like leather that's what I'd do simply to enhance the re-sale appeal later in addition to it being really nice to the touch.

It doesn't seem to be an option on V60, all I can find is two shades of Nappa and two shades of something that looks kinda waffle in design of which I'd choose the darker shade, what paint have you chosen? Fusion, deffo needs the dark seats,

Here you go

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETyeUrKOErA

Wouldn't be for me, looks kinda base level and will get filthy.

Last edited by SnineT; Jun 28th, 2022 at 12:02.
SnineT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29th, 2022, 09:56   #4
rhd443

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnineT View Post
A lot of these new interiors are ok new but look shabby soon after real use, some are garish imo and Skoda have managed something that looks like grannies quilted dressing gown in some models,

Nicest cloth I ever had was in a Cavalier Diplomat, it was a medium grey cloth with very small colour specks throughout, not sure how it came to be as that car was supposed to have leather as it's only option, looked really nice and lifted the inside in much the same way a sunroof does,

If it's a black based one it should be a safe bet, avoid over complex designs as they really get old quick.

p.s just had a look and it's a light grey in a sort of tweedy effect, it wouldn't be for me if I'm honest and will probably look tired really quick, if you can push it to Nappa and like leather that's what I'd do simply to enhance the re-sale appeal later in addition to it being really nice to the touch.

It doesn't seem to be an option on V60, all I can find is two shades of Nappa and two shades of something that looks kinda waffle in design of which I'd choose the darker shade, what paint have you chosen? Fusion, deffo needs the dark seats,

Here you go

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETyeUrKOErA

Wouldn't be for me, looks kinda base level and will get filthy.
OMG that steering wheel looks like something you'd get on a van with the solid bottom and rubber looking texture, just screams cheap cost cutting to me on the newer models. The wool blend interior looks like a rover

rhd443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29th, 2022, 10:25   #5
SnineT
Extrahumanestrial

Steering wheels are ok but light grey cloth in bland designs always look tired soon after, if you look closely the side bolsters on the backs of the front seats have deformed into semi hex appearance instead of the sweeping curve throughout already, probably happens on other fabrics as well but really highlights it in the guy's video.
SnineT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29th, 2022, 12:27   #6
volvocamper
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhd443 View Post
OMG that steering wheel looks like something you'd get on a van with the solid bottom and rubber looking texture, just screams cheap cost cutting to me on the newer models. The wool blend interior looks like a rover

In Volvo’s bid to be more ‘sustainable’ they have seen fit to replace the leather wrapped steering wheels with vinyl wrapped steering wheels - same for that gear selector, it is plastic not leather any more and you can feel the difference imho.
Also in the vid he refers to the doors having leather capping, again this is vinyl but no problem with that, its just the steering wheels/gear selector which i prefer in leather.
volvocamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29th, 2022, 12:52   #7
neilgorin

Novel idea, charging more for cloth than leather.

That interior would show the dirt really quickly in my view.
neilgorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29th, 2022, 14:38   #8
EssexExile
Master Member

It obviously wasn't wool but my last V70 had pale cloth upholstery which was still fine when I sold it after 10 years of use. I don't understand the appeal of leather seats but have been unable to avoid them lately.
Old Jun 29th, 2022, 14:43   #9
neilgorin

Saying that my 2015 V70 had pale cream leather and that stained really badly - my wife had a Barbour coat that dyed the arm rests on the passenger side - never got the colour out completely.

The worst idea in cars is cream carpet and mats.
neilgorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29th, 2022, 17:15   #10
OldEngineer

I wondered why so many people bought horrible black leather.

When you have a Blond interior like mine you can't hide dirt. It's so much better to keep a car clean.