Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New (to me) 1980 Volvo 244

Views : 1774280

Replies : 4083

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 28th, 2022, 15:22   #2921
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360beast View Post
Hey give it time yet that engine might die and then I can turbo it

I jest of course, brilliant work there Alan and a true testiment to your abilities and dedication to the RB! I bet the mpg will go up a bit too so you have no reason to sell it off now
Thank you Luke,

There was a time yesterday evening when the RB was running very poorly due to the leaking exhaust joint when I thought: if I can't sort this out I'll just give it to Luke so he can turbocharge it, slam it to the ground and fit undercar lighting :-).

The RB is now running about as it would have when only 10 years old (in 1990) - I'm pretty happy with that, I have no intention whatsoever of restoring the motor car, but keeping it in 'about 1990' condition is fine.

Take care,

Alan

Last edited by Othen; Jun 28th, 2022 at 15:24.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 28th, 2022, 16:58   #2922
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
Thank you Luke,

There was a time yesterday evening when the RB was running very poorly due to the leaking exhaust joint when I thought: if I can't sort this out I'll just give it to Luke so he can turbocharge it, slam it to the ground and fit undercar lighting :-).

The RB is now running about as it would have when only 10 years old (in 1990) - I'm pretty happy with that, I have no intention whatsoever of restoring the motor car, but keeping it in 'about 1990' condition is fine.

Take care,

Alan
Haha, I think turbo, sensible 40mm drop and no underfloor lighting would be more my taste there's time yet for the RB to end up that way... Don't forget the manual swap too haha.

I bet it will still be running in 40 years time better than most cars of today... If we are still allowed to burn fermented dinosaurs then, we might be all running on corn juice in which case some fuel system changes will probably need to be done.
360beast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 29th, 2022, 09:38   #2923
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360beast View Post
Haha, I think turbo, sensible 40mm drop and no underfloor lighting would be more my taste there's time yet for the RB to end up that way... Don't forget the manual swap too haha.

I bet it will still be running in 40 years time better than most cars of today... If we are still allowed to burn fermented dinosaurs then, we might be all running on corn juice in which case some fuel system changes will probably need to be done.
I may still advertise the RB for sale in the autumn Luke. It is nicely refreshed now and would make a really nice, reliable historic interest car for someone, perhaps a chap (or lady) that would use it a bit more frequently than I do.

:-)

Alan
Old Jun 29th, 2022, 14:40   #2924
dmw244gl

excellent work, weekend well spent, always handy when you have the parts.
dmw244gl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dmw244gl For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 2nd, 2022, 11:39   #2925
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
I may still advertise the RB for sale in the autumn Luke. It is nicely refreshed now and would make a really nice, reliable historic interest car for someone, perhaps a chap (or lady) that would use it a bit more frequently than I do.

Alan
I think it is going to take me until August to run the RB in. I was was thinking as I drove it down to the grocery store this morn; I'll fit the Pholus wheels and advertise it like that in September, having tyres fitted ready for the winter will be a good selling point in the autumn. The RB looks really good on the Pholus wheels.

I've noticed that good Virgo wheels make £600-£900/set on eBay, so it would make most sense to sell them there (or maybe I'll use them for another project - we'll see).

Alan
Old Jul 2nd, 2022, 11:57   #2926
Moomoo
VOC Member

Quote:
I think it is going to take me until August to run the RB in. I was was thinking as I drove it down to the grocery store this morn; I'll fit the Pholus wheels and advertise it like that in September, having tyres fitted ready for the winter will be a good selling point in the autumn. The RB looks really good on the Pholus wheels.

I've noticed that good Virgo wheels make £600-£900/set on eBay, so it would make most sense to sell them there (or maybe I'll use them for another project - we'll see).

Alan

Somebody picked a set up for £75 last week , bargain or what . Southampton was the problem, no post.
They’re a good, enhancing wheel though!😎
Old Jul 2nd, 2022, 14:51   #2927
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moomoo View Post
Somebody picked a set up for £75 last week , bargain or what . Southampton was the problem, no post.
Gosh, that was cheap. I can see three sets for sale on eBay at the mo: very good with tyres for £750, very good without tyres for £600 and in need of refurbishment for £450.

They are nice wheels, and I might be tempted to keep them for future use (maybe a 740/940 project or another 240) one day. Maybe even have some spacers made and use them on GAM, we’ll see.

Old Jul 2nd, 2022, 15:12   #2928
BicycleBoy
Master Member

Quote:
Gosh, that was cheap. I can see three sets for sale on eBay at the mo: very good with tyres for £750, very good without tyres for £600 and in need of refurbishment for £450.
Those sets have been on the market a while. Although refurbs with cheap tyres are always going to be a hard sell; if I'm dropping over a monkey on new wheels I'm not going to want to cheap out on the rubber.

The £75 set is back up for £100, so the collection only appears to be an issue. One spare in Bristol for £55 isn't shifting either.

Virgos were being offered for £200-250 six months ago, but those sets have found a home eventually. I'm looking for a set, but not at current prices.
BicycleBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BicycleBoy For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 2nd, 2022, 15:15   #2929
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moomoo View Post
Parcelforce will pick up and even provide labels for pick-up if the seller wraps them - a couple of black bin-bags would do with a bit of cardboard to separate the two rims in each half of the consignment - it's cheaper to send two halves each of under 20kg than it is for one near 40kg consignment, no idea why!

Quote:

They are nice wheels, and I might be tempted to keep them for future use (maybe a 740/940 project or another 240) one day. Maybe even have some spacers made and use them on GAM, we’ll see.

To be honest Alan, i can't see how any wheels, even new ones, command a price like that for a set. That said i've just bought an Audi spare wheel for a friend that was just over £100 with a half decent tyre on it (Firestone) with ~6mm of tread and the wheel only has minor kerb-rash.
Again, no idea why the Audi spare wheel was so expensive (no, it wasn't a space-saver aka pram-wheel), bought one for the Jag recently for under £50 with a good (~5.5mm Kumho) tyre on but poor paint/lacquer (even though it looked good in the listing) so why the Audi one should be a stupid price i've no idea.
Both alloys made originally by the same manufacturer (Ronal i think, logo is like a jwl in cursive but not quite) and both tyres are a similar amount of rubber (215/40/17 for the Audi, 225/55/16 for the Jag) so is it market forces at play or what?

I know the Virgo rims are getting rare and more desirable now but they won't fit many of the later 7xx models so are limited to all intents and purposes to the 200 and older cars which reduces the market place. Sorry but i just can't see the value in wheels at that sort of price.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 2nd, 2022, 15:21   #2930
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BicycleBoy View Post
Those sets have been on the market a while. Although refurbs with cheap tyres are always going to be a hard sell; if I'm dropping over a monkey on new wheels I'm not going to want to cheap out on the rubber.

The £75 set is back up for £100, so the collection only appears to be an issue. One spare in Bristol for £55 isn't shifting either.

Virgos were being offered for £200-250 six months ago, but those sets have found a home eventually. I'm looking for a set, but not at current prices.
I didn't see the previous auction of these wheels:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/144621291...gAAOSwiFhio3ng

... but I rather suspect the seller bid the £75 himself and then reported that the buyer didn't show up. They have been advertised again at a higher starting price, so the seller probably just decided he wanted a bit more. I've heard that is a common tactic with online auctions and saves paying extra to set a reserve.

Good fortune in your search for some Virgo wheels - they suit 240s very well indeed.

PS. I notice the seller doesn't mention they are Virgo wheels in the ad, so he probably isn't a Volvo bloke. Not many folk looking for Virgo wheels would have found those in a search.