Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Danish embassy 940

Views : 22928

Replies : 247

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 29th, 2024, 22:11   #241
Forrest
VOC Member

If they are genuine Volvo carpet mats they should say what vehicle they are for underneath. For example, the largest original mat from my V90 says 960 Passenger Left in moulded writing on the underside. If you got that set of grey carpet mats that went for under £30 on eBay last weekend then you got a bargain. I’d intended to bid on those but forgot! Your originals could be originally designed for a LHD 940. They are moulded differently and have the reinforced part on the left hand side. I have got a set of soft rubber ones in one of my 940s which are an acceptable fit. The mats were a dealer option and it is unlikely that a dealer on the Continent had RHD mats in stock.

Notwithstanding that one of your spare clusters had bits missing, and if you’re anything like me you’d have more than one, wouldn’t the simplest way to get an MPH speedo be to swap the whole cluster for a UK or US one of the same model year? You could then just keep the KPH cluster to refit in the future if you wanted to restore originality. If you had proceeded with the nightmare route of replacing the decal on the KPH instrument and recalibrating the odometer you could also have recalibrated the needle by adjusting a resistor on the PCB in line with the percentage out it was. I think the chances of ending up with a mess would have been high though.

If you’ve got the cluster out it’s a good opportunity to fit an external temperature gauge if the car doesn’t already have one. This is very easy to do on a late, pre-wired car provided you get the right parts. White plug on the gauge on a 940. FWIW the original part numbers were 9166579 for the upgrade kit gauge and 1347010 for the sensor. The latter is still widely available. If you fit a secondhand gauge put a new bulb in it before putting everything back together.
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Forrest For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 2nd, 2024, 13:28   #242
RollingThunder
Grumpy Old Git

Thanks Forest, you were absolutely right about the mats having the model molded into the bottom! I never noticed that before - every day is a learning day 😆 Yes the ones I bought were the £30 odd ones, and they are the correct 940 mats.

The ones that didn't fit are 960 ones. So if anyone wants these drop me a line.

I do indeed have another instrument cluster 😆 But changing the odometer in these clusters isn't as easy as it was on the 850 cluster. Changing the face is actually really easy, and would have been the perfect option if the scales were the same. I've bought a new one now anyway, and as it was from FRF I had a decent discount on list price 😉

I'm still looking for an ambient temperature gauge set, but if I do manage to find one before I fit the new speedometer, I will be fitting that at the same time - getting the metal frame that goes around the cluster is a real pita !!!
The Following User Says Thank You to RollingThunder For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 2nd, 2024, 16:51   #243
Volvo_Utrecht
Volvo Utrecht

"But changing the odometer in these clusters isn't as easy as it was on the 850 cluster" ===> It actually is. You can unscrew the transparent front and once you find the right screws on the back, you can easily swap the odometer.
Volvo_Utrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Volvo_Utrecht For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 23rd, 2024, 09:00   #244
RollingThunder
Grumpy Old Git

Parts have been building up over the last few weeks, so I'm going to be busy over the long Easter weekend!

Today though will be taken up with replacing the PAS pump. I ended up buying a NAPA branded one so we'll see how that goes. Today's forecast is cold, windy with showers. Typical, a few days ago it was 17 degrees and sunny - when I was stuck in the office...
The Following User Says Thank You to RollingThunder For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 24th, 2024, 12:04   #245
RollingThunder
Grumpy Old Git

Well, I got up early to do the PAS pump replacement and it was a lovely morning. Jumped into the shower and got changed into my overalls etc, opened the door and it was pi$$ing down ! As I'd be laying on the driveway I had to revert to plan B - electrical work that I could bring inside.

After fighting with the instrument cluster surround - that metal one - for about an hour, I finally got the cluster out and took it inside. Dug out the brand new speedometer and started to strip down the cluster. All was going well until I tried to test fit the new speedo... it doesn't fit! That is despite the description on GCP saying that it was for ALL 940 There is no way it'll fit - there is a section of circuit board that overlaps where the wiring connector fits into the back of the cluster. Bugger...

It was about then that I noticed that the original metric speedo I had removed didn't have the clear plastic part that I thought was missing from the other used MPH speedo that I had previously adjusted the mileage on. I dug out my other spare (you can never have too many spares lol) and that was also missing the clear plastic part... which means that the speedo that I have already adjusted/corrected the odometer on should be a working item...?

So I've fitted that one - I hope it works lol. I'll find out in a few weeks when I take the car off SORN.

With that resolved, I fitted the ambient temperature gauge that I've recently bought off a fellow VOC member, and also fitted the 'Turbo' tachometer with the integral boost gauge that was in one of the spare clusters. Result! I just need to get a bulb for the ambient temperature gauge and then I can put the cluster back into the car.

You may recall that I was also going to wire up the Low Coolant warning lamp. Unfortunately, my original cluster is missing the diodes/resistors that are needed to complete the circuit. So I'll wire the reservoir sensor up to a warning buzzer instead, along with a test button. Not the ideal 'factory fitted' option that I wanted, but i don't want to try soldering anything to a 28 year old plastic circuit board!

To round off the day, I removed the original blingy Kenwood radio that came with the car - I'd fitted that back in when I was considering selling the car, so I now need to refit the Blaupunkt DAB radio that I fitted last year (I know, I know...) and fit the DAB antenna for it. I also need to fix or replace the FM antenna as that has failed.

Hopefully the weather will be better over the Easter weekend and I'll be able to replace the PAS pump then, along with a few more parts such as the 'Celebration' spec faux wood trims I'm getting really excited to see the car transformed into what I originally wanted. In one way its sad to make the changes as this must be one of the most original cars left in this condition, but everything will be reversible.

No photos today sorry as my computer has decided it doesn't like my phone any more and won't connect to it... Once thats sorted I'll upload a few pics of the instrument cluster etc.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RollingThunder For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 24th, 2024, 13:07   #246
Volvo_Utrecht
Volvo Utrecht

Default Just an additional wire

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollingThunder View Post
You may recall that I was also going to wire up the Low Coolant warning lamp. Unfortunately, my original cluster is missing the diodes/resistors that are needed to complete the circuit. So I'll wire the reservoir sensor up to a warning buzzer instead, along with a test button. Not the ideal 'factory fitted' option that I wanted, but i don't want to try soldering anything to a 28 year old plastic circuit board!
What you usually do is just add a wire to one of the three plugs (need to search which one) and connect that to the sender and a a bulb of course. I believe it is the middle connector position 9 which will be empty in your case.
Volvo_Utrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Volvo_Utrecht For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 24th, 2024, 13:42   #247
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvo_Utrecht View Post
What you usually do is just add a wire to one of the three plugs (need to search which one) and connect that to the sender and a a bulb of course. I believe it is the middle connector position 9 which will be empty in your case.
That's correct - the diode is there for two functions, one as a bulb test as it brings the other waring lamps on with the charge/alternator warning lamp and the other is to prevent back-feeds from the other warning lamps bringing the charge warning lamp on erroneously.

The low coolant warning lamp can be fitted without the diode but will not have a self-test function in conjunction with the charge and other warning lamps, however you can add a diode externally from the instrument cluster - cathode ("Bar" on the body) to alternator warning lamp wire and anode to the low coolant switch wire. Any 1N400x diode will do, a 1N4001 or 4007 is probably easiest to get hold of.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300423054353

Used that place many times, usually direct from their own site (spiratronics.com) but that is down for maintenance as i type.

Saves you soldering to the fragile PCB!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 25th, 2024, 11:18   #248
RollingThunder
Grumpy Old Git

Some pics as promised. Firstly the original metric instrument cluster in the car:

Then the original metric speedometer alongside the adjusted MPH speedo from a spare cluster:

The fully populated (original) cluster with the MPH speedo, ambient temperature gauge and 'Turbo' spec tachometer fitted:

And finally, a pic of a very grubby radiator grill with the Danish Motorist Club enamelled metal badge - what a find, I'm delighted with this

So some progress has been made, with more to follow this weekend, weather permitting!

Last edited by RollingThunder; Mar 25th, 2024 at 11:20.
RollingThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to RollingThunder For This Useful Post: