Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Just gone and got me a T5!

Views : 876

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 18th, 2015, 23:10   #1
CHARLIEDONTSURF

Default Just gone and got me a T5!

Been on here a while backwith me recently purchased 240.

After 20+ years of owning old VWs have got myself another Volvo!!!

I dont know if you are all like me and watch everything on ebay even if youre not going to buy it. Bought the White (Ex Police) V70 T5 off ebay. was only 30 mins up the road.

Was a classic case of 'poor description' when i got there. the body is near as damn it mint, very small dink in wing and a small patch of pants paint on roof where the lighting wire was removed/cut off. Inside is in VGC.

Was only a Police car for two years before the chap i got it off bought it. He owned it from when it was sold off in 2001 until today. EVERY single MOT in a folder from 2001 (was MOT a year early when it was sold off) and mountains and mountains of invoices/reciepts/service etc. Previous owner had only done 28k miles in 14 years (he is 72 though and it was his second car!)

Well happy, except reading forums Pirelli 6000s dont get a good press. Brace yourself for lots of stupid questions V70 related now
CHARLIEDONTSURF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to CHARLIEDONTSURF For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 19th, 2015, 04:18   #2
PNuT
MaDMaN

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHARLIEDONTSURF View Post
Been on here a while backwith me recently purchased 240.

After 20+ years of owning old VWs have got myself another Volvo!!!

I dont know if you are all like me and watch everything on ebay even if youre not going to buy it. Bought the White (Ex Police) V70 T5 off ebay. was only 30 mins up the road.

Was a classic case of 'poor description' when i got there. the body is near as damn it mint, very small dink in wing and a small patch of pants paint on roof where the lighting wire was removed/cut off. Inside is in VGC.

Was only a Police car for two years before the chap i got it off bought it. He owned it from when it was sold off in 2001 until today. EVERY single MOT in a folder from 2001 (was MOT a year early when it was sold off) and mountains and mountains of invoices/reciepts/service etc. Previous owner had only done 28k miles in 14 years (he is 72 though and it was his second car!)

Well happy, except reading forums Pirelli 6000s dont get a good press. Brace yourself for lots of stupid questions V70 related now
Is it the white s plate one on Ebay last week?

If it is it is quite unusual! as it is S plate but has motronic 4.4....

Must have been held back before being registered!!
Old Nov 19th, 2015, 13:20   #3
DouglasWicker

Sounds good! Would be great to see some pictures.

1999 V70 2.4l Auto
DouglasWicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19th, 2015, 14:46   #4
kevvydude
Premier Member

was that the one that went for 1600 quid, its looked tidy. nearly as clean as mine. white is best

ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
kevvydude is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kevvydude For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 20th, 2015, 00:21   #5
CHARLIEDONTSURF

Yep, was the S plate white one.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volvo-v70-...p2047675.l2557

The paper label on oil filler cap and the three white lablesc(two on left of engine bay and one at top right) are laminated labels with date/mileage of when air/pollen/cambelt etc were done and the one on cap has oil spec and capacity and date/mileage done last.

As you have gathered , Volvos are all new to me! How can you tell it is 4.4 just by looking at age/plate etc? Pic of engine bay? I wouldnt even have a clue where to find the ECU to be honest. Is it good/bad/indifferent that it is M4.4 chap?

IIRC it was registered very early Feb 99 (only remember reading it on V5 as it was very near my birthday!)

Last edited by CHARLIEDONTSURF; Nov 20th, 2015 at 00:25.
Old Nov 20th, 2015, 04:10   #6
PNuT
MaDMaN

Has a throttle cable!

The newer system ME7 had a fly by wire throttle & has a somewhat problematic electronic throttle module (ETM) which can be expensive to replace....
Old Nov 20th, 2015, 09:06   #7
Luxobarge
Premier Member

Yep - if you've got a V70 with a throttle cable instead of the fly-by-wire ETM system then I reckon you've got the best model to have, personally - that's what mine is, and not by accident, I specifically chose that spec when I was looking to buy.

Cheers!
Old Nov 20th, 2015, 21:30   #8
Ecurie Ecosse

Well done! Such fun cars.
Ecurie Ecosse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ecurie Ecosse For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 21st, 2015, 16:57   #9
CHARLIEDONTSURF

Cheers again chaps.
Now for the stupid Qs.....
(1) Is the OBD a proper port? Sure I read somewhere you need a flash ode reader for 4.4 and not a scanner. Ideas?
(2) Despite being very well maintained, is there anything I can maintainance wise? Engine appears to be very oil right but do the throttle bodies get clogged from a breather system and benefit a clean. Have read about PCVs , does my year/model benefit from replacement before it gets blocked/split/perishes?

Under 3k it drives very 'refined' like an NA car, bury throttle pedal and it takes off. Acceleration from 60/70 in fifth is phenomoninal.