Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General > ETM Issues
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

ETM Issues Discuss issues regarding the problems with ETMs fitted to Volvo cars.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

BBC Watchdog and Volvo ETM failures.

Views : 15520

Replies : 58

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 24th, 2006, 05:10   #31
Don Willson

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvo2
BBC Watchdog is presently looking into Volvo ETM failures.
Can I suggest that those of us who are concerned immediately write to Watchdog by going on-line to: http://www.bbc.co.uk/watchdog/contact/transport.shtml; or write to: BBC Watchdog, 201 Wood Lane, London W12 7TS; or telephone: 020 8535 1000

In a recent communication with the program they told me that they need more individuals to make contact with them before they can follow up the issue (e.g. apparently they had 50 contacts regarding the Audi problem).

From what I have seen, if the BBC gets involved then we just might get a result.

Melvyn
Hi across the pond,
I saw this post at Volvoxc.com. I hope you will not be offended.
http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showpo...03&postcount=7

Some ideas.
The US letter is posted at http://matthewsvolvosite.com click on 'Volvo Forum' then 'Don's ETM Room' then click on 'The ETM letter to owners." Some of these have been sent out but not all of them. You might use this as ammunition but I doubt if it will work.

Also look at 'Troubleshooting' at http://vexedvolvo.org to see the hoops that the dealer has to jump though before they get to replacing the ETM.

Look at the 'Beyond North America" for a couple of success stories and the company line that Volvo is feeding you.

Can you bargain with the dealer that you will pay his cost for the ETM and he contribute the labor and keep your good will.

I think someone mentioned a law that says 'The product is not suitable for the indended use'. I think you can prove this. It is a part that should not fail, but if it is impossible to build 'no fail' replacement, there shoud be a way to inspect the part and replace the throttle position sensor.

Can you get the names of people that have sent e-mails to Watchdog. You might get them organized.

Where is Volvo UK located, probably not more than a days journey from most of the UK? Make you some posters and park as many Volvos as you can get in front of the office. Then slowly drive though some major cities, I understand that you are forbidden to drive in central London.

Among the volvoclub.org.uk you are bound to have a solicitor (lawyer) that might be interested in getting involved on a pro bono (free) basis.

Again, If you want me to keep the mailing list I am willing. I only send out messages by bcc (blind copy) so no one else can see or reply to them.

Don Willson
DonWillson@comcast.net
http://vexedvolvo.org
Old Feb 24th, 2006, 10:35   #32
volvo2
Master Member

I think you are referring to a comment I made in relation to the Sales of Goods Act here in the UK - see http://www.dti.gov.uk/ccp/topics1/fa...legoodsact.htm

I have been in contact with the Vehicle Safety Branch (VSB) of the Vehicle & Operator Services Agency (VOSA) here in the UK. Following my raising this issue, they met with representatives from Volvo but so far seem unwilling to take action. The communication to me was marked as confidential, so I would feel uncomfortable in posting it here. However, they do seem confused as the basis they give for not taking action is that, I quote, "as an adequate warning is given, there appears no reason to consider an action under the terms of the Code". They seem to be under the impression that a warning light illuminates prior to the failure, which as far as I know is not the case.

If anyone else would like to contact the VSB, the Head of Vehicle Safety
(VOSA) is Mr Jeffrey Sweeting, tel. 0117 9543245 Let me know if you would like his e-mail address (again I would rather not post it).

Melvyn
PS I'll also post a copy of this on the UK Volvo owners’ forum web-site
volvo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25th, 2006, 23:26   #33
Dibble
VOC Member

Default ETM's

Why is Aftershock getting a hard time. It appears to me he is only stating what he has learned from his colleagues. He is obviously very loyal to Volvo and probably his employer so why is he being threatened with legal action. Sadly, this course of action is very prevalent in America today and even more sadly reaching our shores very rapidly. Personally I think you have not been unreasonable Aftershock in the way you have reported this and if my father owned 28 dealerships anywhere I don't think I would be paying for the replacement ETM.

Regards

Dibble
Dibble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21st, 2006, 10:03   #34
volvo2
Master Member

Apologies if this posting appears a little rude or pushy, however frankly I am astonished at the short term, ‘flash in the pan’ nature of apparent interest in this issue. I realise that many are not affected, however unless those of us who are take more action we will be permanently lumbered with an on-going expensive and potentially dangerous problem. The evidence points to the fact that sooner or later each of us will suffer repeated failure of this defective component. It is pretty clear that we cannot simply sit back and expect that this issue will resolve itself.

I have been attempting to pursue the matter with the Vehicle Safety Branch of the Vehicle & Operator Services Agency (VOSA). They seem interested and are currently awaiting a response from Volvo. However, in a recent e-mail the Head of Vehicle Safety, a Mr Jeffrey Sweeting, commented that he was surprised that following the Watchdog item they had received NO REPORTS concerning this. So am I!

Can I urge all those affected by this problem to contact VOSA immediately.

Contact details are:

Jeffrey Sweeting
Head, Vehicle Safety
VOSA
tel: 0117 9543245
e-mail: Jeffrey.Sweeting@vosa.gov.uk

On the other had, if there really is no interest in attempting to sort this out, I’ll give up and run the risks and suffer the costs along with the rest of you.

Melvyn
volvo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 12:05   #35
Nick I

Hi,

Here, FYI is my email to Jeffery:

To Jeffrey Sweeting,
Head, Vehicle Safety
VOSA UK

Dear Jeffrey,

There are around 6000 volvo owners potentially affected here in AU.

I have evidence suggesting around 35 ETM's are being replaced each month here in Australia.

Volvo Cars Australia refuse to acknowledge this as a safely problem nor agree any ETMs are being replaced.

The extended warranty program in North America (NA) was introduced under the guise of a pollution fix issue, when in fact it is a major safety problem. Late last year in a preliminary letter to NA Volvo owners who had already replaced ETMs, Volvo NA referred to the issue as a safety concern. Now they can't have it both ways.

We have formed Volvolemon Action Group Australia ( VAGA) - see info about us at:

www.vexedvolvo.org

Will send you some emails reflecting our struggles with Volvo here in AU.

I have included your equivalent here in Australia in the Cc above. Lawrence Glynn at the Department of Transport and Regional Services (DOTARS), whom you may wish to touch base with.

A very important point you should be made aware of. The recent letter from Volvo NA to NA Volvo owners recommends that even if Volvo owners have not experienced an ETM issue they are advised to take their car into a Volvo dealer to have a software update installed. Volvo should/must advise all affected Volvo owners worldwide of this requirement as the same ETM part number applies to all affected Volvos.

I conclude by recommending that you, as should DOTARS here in Australia, place advertisements seeking responses from Volvo owners who have experienced ETM problems. We should be able to expect such proactive action from our Government service providers.

Sadly, its more often the case where the customer - i.e the likes of VAGA need to bully, go through the stressful consequences to seek action when we shouldn't have to.

Regards

Nick Ilic

Volvolemon Action Group Australia
Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 00:17   #36
Oli
VOC Member

Seems that the preliminary investigations of the US National Highway Traffic Safety Administration have justified promoting this issue to an "Engineering Evaluation" during March . I gather this means that sufficient concern has been raised to suggest that this issue is a saftety related issue and that a more detailed investigation is required.

This is a seperate investigation to that of the Californian agency that linked the issue to emmisions, which resulted in the 10 year/200,000 mile extended warranty in the US for the ETM.

I hope this puts the pressure on for a redesign/recall of the ETM and not just some updated software to manage the limp mode differently.

Oli

(thanks to defgh1 on the V70R.COM forum for the tip-off about the update)
(I've e-mailed VOSA with that news too)

Last edited by Oli; Apr 2nd, 2006 at 00:40.
Oli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 12:02   #37
Oli
VOC Member

Default News from VOSA

Had a response already from Mr Sweeting today, to my e-mail about the NHTSA raising their investigation to "Engineering Evaluation". It reads:

"Thank you for your communication.
VOSA is working with the manufacturer and expects to finalise matters in
the next week or so."

Seems like they're after swift action. I hope he drives a hard bargain/Volvo too.

Oli
Oli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12th, 2006, 17:28   #38
dickiem

Default ETM failure

Good to see that this issue is finally making some progress. I raised concerns on the S60 forum mid 2005. At that time Volvo UK denied all knowledge of a problem. My local dealer (Ray Chapman of Malton) have been extremely helpful and after I'd harrassed Volvo UK for a couple of months they asked the dealer to take the car (2001 S60 2.0T SE) in for three days to 'run some tests'. The mechanic who went on the road test with me said, without prompting, what the problem appeared to be but low and behold, when I got the official response from Volvo UK, they claimed to have found nothing wrong. Obviously from a diagnostic where no fault codes seem to be logged for this problem that's the obvious conclusion.
I also contacted VOSA who investigated and having spoken to Volvo UK they advised me they were taking no further action at that time.
I'm no expert but from my research (mainly Don Willsons good work in the USA), I would say that a software upgrade does nothing more than hide one of the symptoms. It makes no contribution whatsoever to solving what is simply a physical component breakdown.
I too await proper remedial action by Volvo UK.
dickiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14th, 2006, 05:52   #39
Lennie

Hi All.
I too used to be a Volvo owner namely a 740 GL station Wagon 89 mod. which I could not fault, the odometer gave up the ghost at about 200,000 Km(I'm in Australia hence the Km) and sold it about 18 mths later with about another 30,000 Km's added. I looked at a 850 wagon as a replacement(95 mod.) but rejected it, maybe the difference in the feel, I just don't know . I bought a 4cyl. Mercedes with 530,000 Km instead (another good vehicle).

I started to again think about a Volvo, but having found out about this ETM problem I'm not at all sure this is the way to go. A safety situation that is not driver initiated should never occur. I feel sure that I am not alone in my decision to give Volvo a miss which cannot be good for it's image.

I can't help thinking that there is more to Volvo's denial of the problem than meets the eye. I am not able to afford a post 2002 vehicle even if the problem does not exist, so I assume it's a pre-98 vehicle or a different direction completely

Stay safe if you can.

Lennie.
Old Oct 16th, 2006, 16:29   #40
Howrare

Whats the latest on this ETM issue? I'm looking at buying a V70 / XC70, and don't want to get caught out. Particularly concerned about the aftermarket warranty providers not covering them.