Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Potential new V70 owner - opinions please!

Views : 1191

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 2nd, 2013, 23:13   #1
siedwardscamera

Default Potential new V70 owner - opinions please!

Good evening,

Currently driving an 05 Saab 9-5 est but need to change it before it starts to cost money (too much money anyway!)

I have narrowed the choice down to a 10MY V70 but now I'm torn between an SE with winter pack (heated seats/washers and headlamp washer) or an R-Design without. Both similar money and miles (30k) but I'm just wondering about a few things.

1) The R is on 18" rims. How tyre hungry are they in normal day to day driving?
2) Is the R suspension desperately stiff and uncomfortable? We have a DS3 DSport for kicks and that is hell on a long trip!
3) Just how necessary are heated seats with leather?

Anything else I should know? I'm hoping its all good news because the alternative is a Skoda Superb...

Thanks.

S.
siedwardscamera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3rd, 2013, 13:41   #2
berrymanuk

I own an S80, but coming from experience of leather seats and 18" rim's, I can offer my opinion...

I've got Pirelli PZero Asymmetrico's on the front, and I have to say that I'm really not impressed with them. It's a firm ride with them, and they were new when I bought the car and are down to legal limit almost in the space of 5 months and 10k mile road use. If you were to go for 18" rim's, get some good non firm tyres to go with them. They do look very smart though!

Having heated seats in all the S80s I've had, I've genuinely not used them that much in the cold weather. I'm not sure about other people's experience. However, ventilated seats are a god-send in the hot weather!

Our next purchase for early next year is a toss up between a V70 and an XC90. You'll appreciate the V70 after you've got in it
berrymanuk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to berrymanuk For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 3rd, 2013, 14:20   #3
griston64
Premier Member

Can't comment on the suspension but the heated seats are nice when it's really cold ( bear in mind I'm in sunny Scotland !)

With regard to wheels I would go for 17" as you will get a better ride.

I love my D5 SE ! Best seats I have ever had and as a motorway cruiser it's unsurpassed ! I test drove an A6 before I bought the D5 and it didn't come close.
griston64 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 3rd, 2013, 20:31   #4
revolvo

I test drove both the SE on 17s and the R design on 18s and chose the SE.
I'm not a fan of low profile tyres on today's pot holed roads and the 17s had a better ride.
I also like the heated leather seats.
revolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to revolvo For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 3rd, 2013, 23:16   #5
pagan8c
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by revolvo View Post
I test drove both the SE on 17s and the R design on 18s and chose the SE.
I'm not a fan of low profile tyres on today's pot holed roads and the 17s had a better ride.
I also like the heated leather seats.
Yep same here ,17" wheels and heated seats.Lovely in the winter and heat up really quickly.I only use them on 1st setting as they a more than adequate at that temperature.Mine is an se lux with sat nav. Really comfortable car and tows my caravan with ease.I have the suspension you can set on comfort,sport or extended.Usually use comfort but if on windy country roads and moving along switch to sport as it just feels better round corners.

Last edited by pagan8c; Jun 3rd, 2013 at 23:19.
pagan8c is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pagan8c For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 4th, 2013, 21:49   #6
siedwardscamera

Thanks everyone.

I have settled on a '10 2.0 SE with 17" wheels and the winter pack. From Volvo Selekt so probably paying a little too much but I like the dealer and the back-up they are offering.

Very sensible, super comfortable and hopefully just what I am looking for!

Thanks again for your opinions and advice.

Simon
siedwardscamera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11th, 2013, 07:33   #7
SouthOxon

Quote:
Originally Posted by siedwardscamera View Post
Good evening,
1) The R is on 18" rims. How tyre hungry are they in normal day to day driving?
2) Is the R suspension desperately stiff and uncomfortable? We have a DS3 DSport for kicks and that is hell on a long trip!
3) Just how necessary are heated seats with leather?
1) Don't know.
2) Yes. I test-drove a V70 R-design and found the ride harsh and unpleasant. 18" rims are also more more susceptible to kerbing.
3) Essential, especially in the winter we just had; the one that ended last week. It is so nice to drive off with a warm bum.

My V70 SE Lux is approaching three years of age and it is one of the best cars I have ever had in over forty years of motoring. Just one serious failure - Volvo's equivalent of The Blue Screen Of Death - and I will be keeping the car for some years yet. It is on non-dating plates and you might think that I bought it last week; no rattles, everything as good as new.
SouthOxon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SouthOxon For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 15th, 2013, 11:41   #8
H20 VOLVO

Quote:
Originally Posted by siedwardscamera View Post
Thanks everyone.

I have settled on a '10 2.0 SE with 17" wheels and the winter pack. From Volvo Selekt so probably paying a little too much but I like the dealer and the back-up they are offering.

Very sensible, super comfortable and hopefully just what I am looking for!

Thanks again for your opinions and advice.

Simon
It also comes down to looks. The R looks more sporty, the SE doesn't. Big thing for me is the rear spoiler- makes the rear look far better. This would be a cost option on a SE

Also depends on your driving route. You might prefer 18s on the motorway, but if it's back roads, the 17s maybe better. I'm on 18s and happy, but they do kerb like crazy!

Heated seats on leather is a must - I use them all the time. Headlight washers make little difference - not as good as the old Volvo headlight wiper. Rears park sensors very good, fronts too, but not as common.

Get as much spec as you can afford, shop around, and don't be scared of buying from a Volvo dealer 350 miles away. I did. Never saw the car, free delivery and guaranteed to be as advertised or money back. Brilliant service got to say. A colleague has just done the same with a £40k Jag XF, no issues at all. Obviously all main dealer. Doing this means you can drop on a well specified bargain.

Good luck.

Last edited by H20 VOLVO; Jun 15th, 2013 at 11:44.
H20 VOLVO is offline   Reply With Quote