Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Aftermarket Alloys

Views : 2017

Replies : 23

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 1st, 2022, 20:18   #1
judgeman

Default Aftermarket Alloys

Had the XC90 T8 Inscription in Osmium Grey nearly 2 months. All the car I wanted, though dis come with the 10 spoke silver alloys. Not my first choice, but after 21” ‘diamond cut’ alloys on the XC60 I was more than happy with 20” alloys, and still am. But I admit I’m vain, and the alloys don’t do the car justice.

My XC60 alloys showed signs of corrosion on all 4 (as did a friend who leased a V90 for 2 years), so was slightly put off the Volvo ‘diamond cut’ alloys - though they do suit the car.

Was thinking of swapping out, and saw these that I like the look of:

https://www.wheelbasealloys.com/allo...volvo/xc90/mk2

Maybe pairing up with Pirelli Pzero or Goodyear Eagle F1 rubber.

Thoughts? Anyone had experience of different tyres on the XC90? Goodyears have a lower noise rating from what I can see, which is appealing.

Had Pirelli Pzero on a previous car, and no bad experience. When I had the MK1 XC90 some years ago I recall Vredsteins and General Grabbers being popular.

Sure this has come up before, but maybe my search methods on here not up to snuff, so apologies if I’m duplicating re tyres.

Would welcome thoughts on aftemarket non-Volvo alloys.
judgeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2nd, 2022, 08:07   #2
Backinavolvo

I am also considering aftermarket..

I find Goodyear ass 5's great, last well, and the best thing about them is excellent rim protection..

I am just slightly concerned over quality (Assuming the oem rims are good, which I believe they are after having a few dodgy pothole moments with no ill effect)
Old Jul 2nd, 2022, 15:27   #3
SnineT
Extrahumanestrial

Have them refurbed mate, it will help retain value, look smart and imo most aftermarket wheels look so far away from oem they become pig lipstick,

If I read you right I think you're looking for something aggressive looking?

With that in mind I think the best wheel would be a 5 spoke 4x4 wheel, depending on your cars colour means you might suit simply silver rims or maybe a dual tone,

This would be my pick,

20 inch
Light grey against diamond
Dished 5 spoke, thick spoke not thin ones
LED valve caps j/k

Here's a few designs outside of the 5 spokes, also consider something that looks like an R-Design pro wheel,

https://www.lkperformance.co.uk/whee...ory_id=1045308
https://www.lkperformance.co.uk/whee...tory_id=411662

Let us know what you decide on in the end.
SnineT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SnineT For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 2nd, 2022, 17:18   #4
judgeman

Twist looks good. Turbinate so close to what I already have, not doing it for me.

Car is Osmium Grey, so Twist could work (I had black cars for many, many years - buying used not always the choice! - so was happy to have a non-black car for a change. Certainly doesn’t show up the dirt as readily as black!).

Decent amount of tread on the tyres at the moment, so time to look around and make an informed choice. Certainly if I can get a set of 4 rims for under £1k I’d consider it. Wonder what the original alloys are worth (they are in very, very good condition, barely a mark on any of them). I know for many the question would be ‘why change then?’, but I do think the right alloy makes the car. And when i bought the car it was more important to have a low mileage high spec, great condition car, and not choose just because it has the right alloys - something that is easy to change at a later date.

Wonder if anyone here has already made a swap and so what did they choose - pics?
judgeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2nd, 2022, 19:22   #5
SnineT
Extrahumanestrial

Sadly they aren't available for your car, I did find some nice ones that are but they're £1500-£2000, wheels are funny, what looks great on one car totally ruins another,

There was a set or 2 sets that the name is Omega followed by a code number that looked ok, just pump in your car and 20 & 21 inch wheels and you'll find them a few show more's down,

Your colour needs either silver or a gunmetal wheel, I'd stay silver as dark wheels don't really do it for me, one set I did see that were nice which maybe the Omega ones anyway were veined but had a dark inside with silver polished veins, they'd look total on my S90 but only you can judge against a more slab sided model,

The ones which nobody seems to make are the 5 spoke dished ones similar to what Beemer's had on them about 20 years ago, 5 spoke with an outer dish rim about 2 inches deep before the spoke starts, all the 5 spokes I've seen look so aftermarket or brittle, small veins means pot holes everywhere are licking their lips, I really like the turbo style ones.

Last edited by SnineT; Jul 2nd, 2022 at 19:26.
Old Jul 2nd, 2022, 19:37   #6
SnineT
Extrahumanestrial

https://www.lkperformance.co.uk/whee...ory_id=1045403

https://www.lkperformance.co.uk/whee...ory_id=1034496

https://www.lkperformance.co.uk/whee...ory_id=1019277

https://www.lkperformance.co.uk/whee...nt-rear=20x8.5 The Sleeper

Last edited by SnineT; Jul 2nd, 2022 at 19:39.
Old Jul 2nd, 2022, 20:13   #7
EssexExile
Master Member

When alloys became a "thing" back when I was teenager I thought they'd be a passing fad and we'd all be back with 13" steel rims in no time at all.
Oh well, can't be right all the time.
Now and again would be nice though.
Old Jul 2nd, 2022, 20:42   #8
Dohnut

Surprised myself here as I wasn’t sure aftermarket would suit but they look OK to my eyes.

OEM for comparison (any excuse to post a pic of mine).
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg BCF16AFD-21D7-4FF8-86EE-68BA887471B6.jpeg (89.3 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg 043BEC57-5B9F-42CA-B306-03FDC4A464E0.jpg (130.6 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg E87CFB3F-B14D-4B18-BA26-33300D2A0ED7.jpg (238.1 KB, 58 views)
Old Jul 2nd, 2022, 21:05   #9
SnineT
Extrahumanestrial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dohnut View Post
Surprised myself here as I wasn’t sure aftermarket would suit but they look OK to my eyes.

OEM for comparison (any excuse to post a pic of mine).

Pic 3, the grey? one, the 1st one looks good as well but number 3 looks oem and classier as well.
Old Jul 2nd, 2022, 21:37   #10
noodle1066
Volvo is now in my blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssexExile View Post
When alloys became a "thing" back when I was teenager I thought they'd be a passing fad and we'd all be back with 13" steel rims in no time at all.
Oh well, can't be right all the time.
Now and again would be nice though.
Although people seem to love the black alloy look which to me is like steel wheels with the wheel trims missing
noodle1066 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to noodle1066 For This Useful Post: