Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Tyres only lasted 19k? 2013 V60 d4

Views : 1341

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 30th, 2022, 12:52   #1
glynh

Default Tyres only lasted 19k? 2013 V60 d4

Hi All,

So decided to change the fronts, the outside edges were quite worn down on both (underinflated?) and reasonably equal and the centre 3/4 was measured to circa 2.5/3mm.

So probably another couple of thousand miles left, it worked out to be around 18.5k miles since last change (21/07/2020) (thank Covid for the tiny milage!). Usual commute is 30/40mph roads and others are usually primarily Motorway miles.

So as this is the 1st proper change in this cars ownership, is this what others see? The tyres are 'autogreen' branded from national tyres, so not expecting them to be premium quality and probably slightly less tread depth(to add to the quicker replacement) and also the volvo does seem to be quite a front heavy car which will add to the wear.

I have had no issues with the previous tyre and even when it was heavy snow the car performed faultlessly, so no concerns reccomending them as a functional tyre, and 2x will cost less (currently with the 10% discount code) than 1 'premium'. Its a 160hp diesel estate so not a fire breathing sports Coupe!
Old Jun 30th, 2022, 13:11   #2
SnineT
Extrahumanestrial

19k out of a pair of front tyres is brilliant imo,

Nothing wrong with Autogreen, there are several turn your nose up brands that come under the budget label that are actually really good rubber,

Wanli
Westlake
Sailum
Landsail

There's 4 I can say that won't be a Michelin but unless you are someone who has to take it to the limits on the way to Asda they will keep you on the road and wear reasonably,

The funny one is Nexen, they fit these to a few new cars now but both I and a mate had them on our Omega's many years ago and both concluded that once there was water on the ground they turned the car into an unsafe place to be, same tyre used to be branded as a Roadstone 2000, they might be ok on FWD but anything RWD and it's back end out time.
SnineT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30th, 2022, 20:58   #3
RDesign4Life
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnineT View Post
19k out of a pair of front tyres is brilliant imo,

Nothing wrong with Autogreen, there are several turn your nose up brands that come under the budget label that are actually really good rubber,

Wanli
Westlake
Sailum
Landsail

There's 4 I can say that won't be a Michelin but unless you are someone who has to take it to the limits on the way to Asda they will keep you on the road and wear reasonably,

The funny one is Nexen, they fit these to a few new cars now but both I and a mate had them on our Omega's many years ago and both concluded that once there was water on the ground they turned the car into an unsafe place to be, same tyre used to be branded as a Roadstone 2000, they might be ok on FWD but anything RWD and it's back end out time.
Had Nexens on an Audi a few years ago and they were good in the wet. These days I buy the best I can afford last few purchases have been Avon, Michelin and Pirelli. Worst tyres I ever had were Sunny. I bought a 3.0 Z4 and it had 4 brand new Sunny tyres fitted. They were proper dangerous - traction control kicked in whent the road was dry! Oh and the noise was unbelievable - worse than a knackered wheel bearing.

Anyway to the OP 18 to 20k out of the fronts is good going imo.
RDesign4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30th, 2022, 22:57   #4
SnineT
Extrahumanestrial

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDesign4Life View Post
Had Nexens on an Audi a few years ago and they were good in the wet. These days I buy the best I can afford last few purchases have been Avon, Michelin and Pirelli. Worst tyres I ever had were Sunny. I bought a 3.0 Z4 and it had 4 brand new Sunny tyres fitted. They were proper dangerous - traction control kicked in whent the road was dry! Oh and the noise was unbelievable - worse than a knackered wheel bearing.

Anyway to the OP 18 to 20k out of the fronts is good going imo.
They might be ok now but back then like driving on oil in the wet, the RWD could be a lot of it and they may have changed compounds now they're scoring supply deals with the likes of Vx, Kia etc, they aren't cheap anymore either,

My two mid choices if I can get them at the time are Barum & Hankook followed closely by Avon, I did the Bridgestone thing once, 8000 miles later they were out so never again, Michelin always have been and probably always will be the best tyre manufacturer but they charge for that unfortunately,

Try the Wanli or Westlake from National if you want a reasonable cheaper tyre, I think they've phased the Wanli out now but the Westlakes are still available afaik,

I always judge them by if they do 10k+ on the front, don't slip in the wet and cost no more than £70 a corner they're ok, some drone a bit but that's hard compound so longer lifespan,

Check out the tyre label reviews, bit like the official mpg figures but some of the labels suprised me with their labels, one ultra budget was rated a B for economy where the 3x the price premium tyre lagged as an E, they all hover around 68-72 db's so not much in it.

Just seen another thread about noisy Mich's that turned out to be wheel bearings, a chart has been posted which reminded me of two other brands I like and have had before,

Kleber which iirc are a budget brand made by Continental or Michelin, and the other ones which went with my now px'd car were Laufenn which F1 put on for me, they were a great budget rubber.

Borrowed https://www.tyrereviews.com/Article/...t-Overview.htm

Last edited by SnineT; Jun 30th, 2022 at 23:20.
Old Jul 1st, 2022, 01:01   #5
RDesign4Life
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnineT View Post
They might be ok now but back then like driving on oil in the wet, the RWD could be a lot of it and they may have changed compounds now they're scoring supply deals with the likes of Vx, Kia etc, they aren't cheap anymore either,

My two mid choices if I can get them at the time are Barum & Hankook followed closely by Avon, I did the Bridgestone thing once, 8000 miles later they were out so never again, Michelin always have been and probably always will be the best tyre manufacturer but they charge for that unfortunately,

Try the Wanli or Westlake from National if you want a reasonable cheaper tyre, I think they've phased the Wanli out now but the Westlakes are still available afaik,

I always judge them by if they do 10k+ on the front, don't slip in the wet and cost no more than £70 a corner they're ok, some drone a bit but that's hard compound so longer lifespan,

Check out the tyre label reviews, bit like the official mpg figures but some of the labels suprised me with their labels, one ultra budget was rated a B for economy where the 3x the price premium tyre lagged as an E, they all hover around 68-72 db's so not much in it.

Just seen another thread about noisy Mich's that turned out to be wheel bearings, a chart has been posted which reminded me of two other brands I like and have had before,

Kleber which iirc are a budget brand made by Continental or Michelin, and the other ones which went with my now px'd car were Laufenn which F1 put on for me, they were a great budget rubber.

Borrowed https://www.tyrereviews.com/Article/...t-Overview.htm
Yes +1 for the Barums - I put 4 of those on my Z4 to replace the Sunny trash and the Barums were spot on and really quiet.
The Following User Says Thank You to RDesign4Life For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 1st, 2022, 06:14   #6
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

I have michelin cross climates and I get more out of them however 18k sounds fine.

You should be rotating your tyres
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to XC90Mk1 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 1st, 2022, 08:11   #7
Buckshot61

Less than 30000 miles is not good. I got about that with my tuned car. But i change front and rear to get equal wear.
Buckshot61 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Buckshot61 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 1st, 2022, 12:00   #8
RDesign4Life
Master Member

Usually only 6-7mm tread on brand new tyres these days and legal limit 1.6 so 4 or 5 mm wear over 20k is not bad imo.
The Following User Says Thank You to RDesign4Life For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 1st, 2022, 13:03   #9
SnineT
Extrahumanestrial

My use is mainly city so 10-12k means a tyre on the front did it's job, however for someone who does 2 miles to the sliproads on and off plus 60 miles or so a day on the motorway then yes I'd expect to get more out of them but even then 18-20k seems within expectation, I've read others who swear they get 40k out of normal non 4x4 terrain front tyres but then again there will always be Mr One Better anywhere you go, 4x4 is heavy on tyres as well due to the drive factor & kills mpg as well.

Last edited by SnineT; Jul 1st, 2022 at 13:07.
Old Jul 1st, 2022, 17:31   #10
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

As well as the quality and bias of the tyre, there is the format. By bias I mean generally the stickier the tyre, the shorter the live.

I've always found that low profile tyres seem to wear more quickly than higher profiles. When I used to have a company car and drive circa 45-50k per year, I had an X-Type Jag with 45 Profile tyres and even with branded tyres like Continental and Pirelli, typical life at the front was 18k - all worn out evenly (probably another 10k on the rear if I forgot to rotate them).

On all my XC Volvo's with 60 profile tyres (there have been 4) I get 40k+ out of a set of tyres.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post: