Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Removal of Basic Balance & Fader Adjustments - AAOS System

Views : 3722

Replies : 44

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 29th, 2022, 21:15   #1
LRS
Sugga Wannabe

Default Removal of Basic Balance & Fader Adjustments - AAOS System

So, after many months of back-and-forth discussion with Volvo UK and their discussions with the Volvo technical team (R&D team), they have concluded that the function of a basic L/R balance and F/R fader adjustment has never been possible on my MY22 XC60 audio system and that I can contact the Motor Ombudsman for independent advice.

So, my next step is to do exactly that, with my case based on the following:
  • Under the MY21 XC60 (Sensus System) the ‘High Performance Sound’ audio system included - balance between right/left loudspeakers and balance between front/rear loudspeakers
  • Under the MY22 XC60 (AAOS System) the ‘High Performance Sound’ audio system balance and fader adjustments have been removed by Volvo
  • How can Volvo justify removing a basic audio adjustment from a premium £50K plus car model that used to be there under the previous Sensus system and then removed under the AAOS system
  • Volvo did not clearly state anywhere in writing that these basic audio adjustments were no longer going to be available when moving from Sensus to AAOS

It’s very disappointing that Volvo can’t seem to grasp the error they have made by removing the basic balance and fader adjustments when moving from Sensus to AAOS and are now simply washing their hands of their mistake.

All I can say is caveat emptor when considering a Volvo.
The Following User Says Thank You to LRS For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 30th, 2022, 05:54   #2
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRS View Post
So, after many months of back-and-forth discussion with Volvo UK and their discussions with the Volvo technical team (R&D team), they have concluded that the function of a basic L/R balance and F/R fader adjustment has never been possible on my MY22 XC60 audio system and that I can contact the Motor Ombudsman for independent advice.

So, my next step is to do exactly that, with my case based on the following:
  • Under the MY21 XC60 (Sensus System) the ‘High Performance Sound’ audio system included - balance between right/left loudspeakers and balance between front/rear loudspeakers
  • Under the MY22 XC60 (AAOS System) the ‘High Performance Sound’ audio system balance and fader adjustments have been removed by Volvo
  • How can Volvo justify removing a basic audio adjustment from a premium £50K plus car model that used to be there under the previous Sensus system and then removed under the AAOS system
  • Volvo did not clearly state anywhere in writing that these basic audio adjustments were no longer going to be available when moving from Sensus to AAOS

It’s very disappointing that Volvo can’t seem to grasp the error they have made by removing the basic balance and fader adjustments when moving from Sensus to AAOS and are now simply washing their hands of their mistake.

All I can say is caveat emptor when considering a Volvo.
I agree that it does sound an extremly simple and basic feature, and I am at a bit of a loss as to why it would be removed.

That said mine has it, and I can count on one hand the number of times I have used it in 5 years.

In fact, I am not sure I have ever actually used it.

I see your point, but would it really damage your enjoyment of the new vehicle?
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30th, 2022, 07:10   #3
LRS
Sugga Wannabe

I agree, it’s an adjustment seldomly used once you find your sound sweet spot. But this is just it, I no longer listen to music in this car due to not being able to find my sound sweet spot.

It cannot be beyond the technical ability of Volvo and the new AAOS system to add a balance and fader function – just copy the Sensus coding and port it into the AAOS system.

It’s not a case of not enjoying the majority of the car, but is the principle of how Volvo has decided to stealthily defeature and remove a function that is now considered a given default on every new car.
Old Jun 30th, 2022, 12:33   #4
SnineT
Extrahumanestrial

Seems this all new system is a bit beta right now, things being removed without thinking someone might still need the function in addition to the multitude of bugs and lack of usb ports I believe,

I can't work out why they changed it, if Sensus needed anything it's a faster cpu and some more ram, job done.
SnineT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SnineT For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 30th, 2022, 14:58   #5
techwatcher
Master Member

Quote:

It cannot be beyond the technical ability of Volvo and the new AAOS system to add a balance and fader function – just copy the Sensus coding and port it into the AAOS system.
It won't be beyond their technical ability but there will be a reason why Volvo hasn't implemented this feature.

My personal suspicion is that the programme to implement the AAOS system has been more complex than Volvo planned and this has caused significant delays. A year on from AAOS' public debut, Apple CarPlay, a major feature promised for MY22, is just emerging. Volvo may have a list of features to be implemented and be working their way though it.
Old Jun 30th, 2022, 15:00   #6
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
I agree, it’s an adjustment seldomly used once you find your sound sweet spot. But this is just it, I no longer listen to music in this car due to not being able to find my sound sweet spot.

It’s not a case of not enjoying the majority of the car, but is the principle of how Volvo has decided to stealthily defeature and remove a function that is now considered a given default on every new car.
a lot of top end HI-Fi amplifiers have neither too.
Old Jun 30th, 2022, 16:22   #7
EssexExile
Master Member

I don't think I've ever balanced or faded, perhaps most customers haven't either so Volvo don't see it as important.
Old Jun 30th, 2022, 16:36   #8
LRS
Sugga Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by techwatcher View Post
It won't be beyond their technical ability but there will be a reason why Volvo hasn't implemented this feature.

My personal suspicion is that the programme to implement the AAOS system has been more complex than Volvo planned and this has caused significant delays. A year on from AAOS' public debut, Apple CarPlay, a major feature promised for MY22, is just emerging. Volvo may have a list of features to be implemented and be working their way though it.
I can understand Volvo’s delays in implementing 3rd party apps – e.g. Apple Car Play, into their AAOS system, but not having a basic radio balance and fader control does not compare – it’s a basic integral radio adjustment. It would be like Volvo removing the ability to run the blower fan at multiple speeds.
Old Jun 30th, 2022, 16:42   #9
LRS
Sugga Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
a lot of top end HI-Fi amplifiers have neither too.
I agree, my Krell mono-blocks and Modsquad line drive preamp did not have fader, but did have balance, but then, high quality audiofile systems do only tend to have just 2 speakers in front of you in which you arrange your seating position to be in that triangular sweet spot. Unless you are talking about the old Quadraphonic systems - Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon sounded awesome on!
Old Jun 30th, 2022, 16:51   #10
LRS
Sugga Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssexExile View Post
I don't think I've ever balanced or faded, perhaps most customers haven't either so Volvo don't see it as important.
Yes agree, a lot of people may not even know they have it or use it. But when I look at the number of sub £8k cars I've owned that have it as default and the fact that Volvo had it in the Sensus cars, you have to ask yourself, what on earth is Volvo playing at by removing it in the AAOS cars?

I have lost a lot of confidence in Volvo because of this very simple and basic function removal - god only knows what they will remove next ether by mistake or conscious decision...A bit less Aquavit drinking by the software team I thinks!