Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Recommended Engine Oil 2004 S60 P2 2.0 T SE

Views : 2560

Replies : 41

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 25th, 2022, 08:08   #1
bigshorty48

Default Recommended Engine Oil 2004 S60 P2 2.0 T SE

Hi Everyone

My S60 is due an oil and filter change and as I've never owned a Volvo before, was wondering what engine oil you guys use in their P2 S60 2.0 T's? My 2004 S60 has done 121,000 miles.

I always ask on forums regarding basic maintenance, as in my opinion, speaking to owners is always better than checking the manual, Haynes, or relying on internet search results.

Looking for recommendations of a good, and as inexpensive oil to use, and if there are any tips, other than the usual warm engine first, when it comes to changing the oil that I may not be aware of.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by bigshorty48; Jun 25th, 2022 at 08:09. Reason: Extra info
bigshorty48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25th, 2022, 15:10   #2
Georgeandkira
Premier Member

When I began using synthetic oils in the family's turbos the recommendation (requirement, actually) was for an ACEA A3,B3 oil. Today's oils are improved and A3, B4 oils are out there. I'd use a 0W-40 (Mobil 1 et al.) or 0W-30 Castrol. The names differ on either side of the Atlantic but I think Magnetech might be one. The Mobil 1 is said to be "thinner" and the Castrol offering is said to be "thicker". I've used both and others over the many vehicles.

The 24mm drain plug gets loosened and the oil shoots out. Be ready for the stream's trajectory to reach out farther than you expect. I lay an old packing blanket beneath my engine as a first step.

Have an 18mm aluminum drain plug gasket ready as some get ripped up due to their thinness. Other gasket washers are reusable because they're thick.

When you've finished, report back and tell us how the underside of the oil fill cap looked. The high location causes accumulation of chunks and some look quite alarming. You can wash the cap in any strong cleaner. Again, the names of cleaners vary. Simple Green, Purple Power and Fast Orange will all work.

Last edited by Georgeandkira; Jun 25th, 2022 at 15:13.
Georgeandkira is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Georgeandkira For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 25th, 2022, 17:47   #3
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

Have you got the filter cap removal tool

-------------------------
mini project - link
stuart bowes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29th, 2022, 23:36   #4
barrybritcher
Flaccid Member

should be on sticker on black slam panel. 0w-30 a5 b5 or if desired 5w30 a5 b5
barrybritcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to barrybritcher For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 5th, 2022, 11:00   #5
bigshorty48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgeandkira View Post
When I began using synthetic oils in the family's turbos the recommendation (requirement, actually) was for an ACEA A3,B3 oil. Today's oils are improved and A3, B4 oils are out there. I'd use a 0W-40 (Mobil 1 et al.) or 0W-30 Castrol. The names differ on either side of the Atlantic but I think Magnetech might be one. The Mobil 1 is said to be "thinner" and the Castrol offering is said to be "thicker". I've used both and others over the many vehicles.

The 24mm drain plug gets loosened and the oil shoots out. Be ready for the stream's trajectory to reach out farther than you expect. I lay an old packing blanket beneath my engine as a first step.

Have an 18mm aluminum drain plug gasket ready as some get ripped up due to their thinness. Other gasket washers are reusable because they're thick.

When you've finished, report back and tell us how the underside of the oil fill cap looked. The high location causes accumulation of chunks and some look quite alarming. You can wash the cap in any strong cleaner. Again, the names of cleaners vary. Simple Green, Purple Power and Fast Orange will all work.
Some great info and useful advice, thank you very much.
Old Jul 5th, 2022, 11:02   #6
bigshorty48

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart bowes View Post
Have you got the filter cap removal tool
I’m guessing this will be needed Stuart? Can it not be removed in the normal fashion, by hand, vice grips or if really stubborn piercing with a screwdriver and using that to screw it off?
Old Jul 5th, 2022, 11:03   #7
bigshorty48

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrybritcher View Post
Wasn’t aware of that, many thanks
Old Jul 5th, 2022, 11:26   #8
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigshorty48 View Post
I’m guessing this will be needed Stuart? Can it not be removed in the normal fashion, by hand, vice grips or if really stubborn piercing with a screwdriver and using that to screw it off?
you might work out a way, but I can't really see it being easy at all, it's kind of flush / level with the bottom of the sump and stuff close by stops you getting a chain wrench or similar on it. plus you don't want to damage it because it needs to go back on (plastic housing and replacement paper filter)

If you were near I'd just lend you mine but that's a 3 or 4 hour drive lol

they're not expensive https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...+tool&_sacat=0

skip to 1:25 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxMZi-laKnA

mine was an aftermarket thing and the fit was a bit loose which actually wasn't a bad thing because instead of overtightening it just slipped round a bit and jammed up so i had to wiggle it to get it off. rather that though than knackering the thread I suppose

-------------------------
mini project - link

Last edited by stuart bowes; Jul 5th, 2022 at 11:29.
stuart bowes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5th, 2022, 12:44   #9
Georgeandkira
Premier Member

I have my old strap wrenches (one large, one small) where the strap is steel band. Stuart is right about access and clearance. The cup style wrenches in the link are likely the easiest and cheapest. There's a cup wrench which is more like a ring and they cost lots more.

In the case of my oldies, I get a grip on the canister and am able to nudge the filter 1/8 turn. The release / grab action of the strap wrench is essentially automatic if you keep the tool in place so I can tickle the wrench 4 or 5 times and the canister is then easy to unscrew the rest of the way.

So give that a try if you have my style wrenches left over from the 1950's! Otherwise, just get the correctly sized cup wrench and be done with it.

WARNING: There are modern, cheap, 2-pack strap wrenches with a thick rubber strap which I doubt would go around the filter because there's no clearance (as mentioned). Also, today's cheap strap wrenches have clunky, large plastic handles which also likely wouldn't allow the "scootching method" I use.

ps If you've never used one of the cup wrenches before you'll find there's a force which wants to separate cup from oil canister. It's almost odd. Just be ready to push on the cup wrench to keep it in place as you turn it. That's how mine (for other cars) seem to go. No biggie.
Georgeandkira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8th, 2022, 11:00   #10
bigshorty48

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrybritcher View Post
I'm getting a tad confused with what engine oil to use guys.

There was no sticker on the slam panel, so thought I'd check the owners manual. The manual states that petrol engines need ACEA A1, and recommended that fully synthetic oil for turbocharged engines. ACEA A3 oil should be used for extreme driving conditions. Viscosity of 0W-30 seems to be confirmed, although my manual does also mention 0W-40.

Haynes on the otherhand does suggest 0W-30 A5/B5 oil type to be used if no sticker with suggested oil type is present in the engine compartment.

Just wondering if I ignore the owners manual and go with what most of you guys, and the Haynes is saying?