Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Sensus map update

Views : 3160

Replies : 20

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 8th, 2022, 18:42   #1
cassell
Member since 1988

Default Sensus map update

Yet another map update (1383) winged its way OTA to my V90 today, presumably it's also available to download from the Volvo website for those who prefer to update that way.
cassell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8th, 2022, 19:21   #2
nu11eaf
Premier Member

It's great we get regular map updates and no effort required with OTA updates.
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8th, 2022, 20:01   #3
Lexman8
Premier Member

Next European map update is scheduled for 13 June.
Old Jun 9th, 2022, 07:56   #4
James77

I do struggle to decide when to update particularly if OTA updates are too large and you have to go for the 50+mg full update. I downloaded 1380 and held off installing as a few days later 1383 was due, now the next is due on the 13th I may as well wait again!

I don't believe it is great having so many updates few times a year is more than adequate. I'll probably update 1383 and perhaps never bother again save for home region OTA until that's too large. Each to their own I suppose but I can't be bothered to download regularly if it were OTA for all Europe I'd just let it do it's thing.

One great thing is it's free for life other brands change after initial period.

Last edited by James77; Jun 9th, 2022 at 08:06.
James77 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to James77 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 9th, 2022, 14:28   #5
neilgorin

I have found if you don't skip updates, they're never too big.

If you don't install an update, the next one is too large to install.
neilgorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9th, 2022, 21:01   #6
OldEngineer

I never skip. With so many 20MPH zones being added daily I like to see the car recording the change. Many of these 20MPH zones have no link to the risks on the road. They are just a blanket restriction. In SE London the speed limit on Kennington Lane is 30MPH on a narrow single lane road. You would be hard pressed to get to this speed with all the associated bus stops and turnings. But around the corner In Kennington Road on a four lane highway and houses set back with large front gardens its's 20MPH.

Also, the M25 was not showing some cameras earlier in the year but changed on the April update. While I'm generally below 70MPH it's good to get the reminder.
Old Jun 10th, 2022, 07:39   #7
volvocamper
Master Member

To show my IT ignorance, do you have to have the data card in the slot in the boot to receive these OTA map updates, if not how is it done and how do you know they are available pls?
volvocamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10th, 2022, 08:21   #8
techwatcher
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvocamper View Post
To show my IT ignorance, do you have to have the data card in the slot in the boot to receive these OTA map updates, if not how is it done and how do you know they are available pls?
Yes, a data SIM needs to be installed in the car in order to receive OTA map updates.
Old Jun 10th, 2022, 08:51   #9
Lexman8
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvocamper View Post
OTA downloads can be done via a SIM card in the boot or by tethering your phone (less practical). Large downloads (eg all of Europe) cannot be done over the air.

You can update any country or region by downloading it onto a USB stick on your PC then inserting the USB stick into the socket in the centre console. From there it's completely automatic. I downloaded Europe (54 GBytes) recently and it took ~45 mins to update the car. The time taken sems to be independent of the update size.

Updates are available here: https://www.volvocars.com/uk/support/downloads/maps/spa
The Following User Says Thank You to Lexman8 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 10th, 2022, 09:13   #10
James77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexman8 View Post
OTA downloads can be done via a SIM card in the boot or by tethering your phone (less practical). Large downloads (eg all of Europe) cannot be done over the air.

You can update any country or region by downloading it onto a USB stick on your PC then inserting the USB stick into the socket in the centre console. From there it's completely automatic. I downloaded Europe (54 GBytes) recently and it took ~45 mins to update the car. The time taken sems to be independent of the update size.

Updates are available here: https://www.volvocars.com/uk/support/downloads/maps/spa
I have an hour trip to Southampton tomorrow morning you think it should install in that time, with OTA it downloads then installs presume as it's already downloaded to stick it's just the install process of 54gb?