Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 Sales

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S60 T5 - Sell or Scrap?

Views : 1572

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 20th, 2022, 13:15   #1
TJMurphy
VOC Member

Default S60 T5 - Sell or Scrap?

Hi all,
Long time member here, but very inactive.
I've decided to get a company car so my current car needs to go. I've got an online quote for scrapping it (~£400) but just wondering if there's value in trying to sell it instead. I saw something similar from Marko that was for sale at about £1,350.
It does need some work doing and as the delivery date for the new one is around November I feel it needs doing before then. Though at the moment nothing that would cause an MOT failure. I'm not mechanically minded so I can't do any of it which makes it expensive.
I've owned the car from new and I'd like to think someone with the skills would take it on. I'm sure this is just me being sentimental!

I'd welcome thoughts from anyone who'd like to share please.
TJMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20th, 2022, 14:17   #2
Rocinante
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJMurphy View Post
Hi all,
Long time member here, but very inactive.
I've decided to get a company car so my current car needs to go. I've got an online quote for scrapping it (~£400) but just wondering if there's value in trying to sell it instead. I saw something similar from Marko that was for sale at about £1,350.
It does need some work doing and as the delivery date for the new one is around November I feel it needs doing before then. Though at the moment nothing that would cause an MOT failure. I'm not mechanically minded so I can't do any of it which makes it expensive.
I've owned the car from new and I'd like to think someone with the skills would take it on. I'm sure this is just me being sentimental!

I'd welcome thoughts from anyone who'd like to share please.
I can't provide much help, but I would suggest that a bit more information, might yield better responses.
Age & Mileage for a start, and general condition.
There's a '02, 112k S60 T5 on Autotrader for £1800 or a '06, 64k for £5000.

A description of what this 'work' is that needs doing, would let people know if they wanted to take it on.
The Reg would allow people to check it's MOT history, if you were willing to share that.

Is the plan then to sell it as soon as possible so you don't have to do this 'work' ? Will that not leave you without a car ?

There's not much to loose by trying ebay or Autotrader, once you get a handle on the value.
Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20th, 2022, 16:09   #3
Simmy
Premier Member

sell dont scrap there are plenty buyers out there. not all folk love new cars . s/h car prices are rideing high at this point in time some one will buy it
Simmy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20th, 2022, 16:23   #4
TJMurphy
VOC Member

Thanks Rocinante, I was trying not to make a "car sale" advert in the first instance so I had written all the details down and then took them all out again. I'm really not sure I want to go down the route of a personal sale to be honest.

But, to help, and try and rule selling it in or out here's some more info on the car. Apologies, it now looks like a sales advert. It is not!
* 143k miles. First seven or so years it commuted into London but last few years mileage has been very low.
* It's a 2002 T5 SE Manual with Winter Pack, folding door mirrors, folding rear head restraints and rear parking sensors. Colour is Dark Grey metallic with Black Leather interior. There used to be photos of it with other cars on some of the Crooked Billet events here but they all seem to be gone.
* It's got an MTE Stage 2 tune, with a Ferrita full exhaust system, supplied by Don at Kalmar Union
* Has always run on Shell V-Power / Nitro+
* Has been garaged for it's entire life
* Suspension was changed to Koni FSDs and Eibach Pro-Sport Springs
* Full service history, have all the invoices and bills. Including new A/C compressor and an alternator a few years ago. A/C is icy cold
* I'd say it's in very good condition for it's age. Wheels have been refurbished though one is scratched again. Driver's door card has a small split in the armrest
* MOT history is clear, due for next one in November (reg is RJ51 XRW)

What's wrong with it?
* Was stuttering intermittently under partial load yesterday (first time it has done this). This one needs to be investigated but I guess it could be as simple as a spark plug / dirty injector. It's also the reason I posted this note today.
* Due for a cambelt change
* Recently had lower suspension arms and one top mount fixed to try and cure heavy tramlining. It's better but still it's not perfect
* Fuel filler door no longer locks
* CEL light is on. It's been on/off for a few years now. Volvo code is something like catalytic convertor efficiency reduced. It gets reset on it's annual service and then passes the MOT, stays off for a few months and comes back. Given the Ferrita downpipe / cat and because it consistently passes the MOT I've given up on trying to find a solution (that didn't involve swapping expensive pieces like lambda sensors out).

I have access to the wife's car and I work from home so while I'd miss having it for a few months I can cope. I also need the garage emptied to store some stuff in September.
Old Jun 20th, 2022, 19:49   #5
Dippydog
Premier Member

Having just read the above I'd definitely sell,it sounds way to good to go to scrap.
Dippydog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dippydog For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 21st, 2022, 09:51   #6
Rocinante
Master Member

Regardless of the value it would seem hasty to scrap it since you don't seem to be in a rush and it's a running car with an MOT. It's out there on the forum now anyway, if someone wanted to make you an offer...

You're not in a particular hurry so like I said before, sticking it on ebay or autotrader will cost you relatively little,(or even Gumtree for free) if there is a lack of interest here, you always have the scrap value as a fall back position, when the time comes you do need to get rid.

With regard your reluctance to private sale, as long as you're honest with the advert, there isn't recourse for buyers to come back to you, if that is you're concern. Just make sure payment is all correct before handing over.

If a private sale hassle isn't for you, you could always try putting it in a local auction with a reserve of the £400+the fees, with the fall back the scrap money again. (think they'll usually help with valuations as well)
The Following User Says Thank You to Rocinante For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 21st, 2022, 12:24   #7
TJMurphy
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
Regardless of the value it would seem hasty to scrap it since you don't seem to be in a rush and it's a running car with an MOT. It's out there on the forum now anyway, if someone wanted to make you an offer...

You're not in a particular hurry so like I said before, sticking it on ebay or autotrader will cost you relatively little,(or even Gumtree for free) if there is a lack of interest here, you always have the scrap value as a fall back position, when the time comes you do need to get rid.

With regard your reluctance to private sale, as long as you're honest with the advert, there isn't recourse for buyers to come back to you, if that is you're concern. Just make sure payment is all correct before handing over.

If a private sale hassle isn't for you, you could always try putting it in a local auction with a reserve of the £400+the fees, with the fall back the scrap money again. (think they'll usually help with valuations as well)
Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it.
Old Jun 21st, 2022, 13:14   #8
Rocinante
Master Member

Couple of examples of sold cars on ebay

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265691674...QAAOSwIppif5np

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/REDUCED-v...p2047675.l2557
Old Jun 21st, 2022, 16:59   #9
Challo

OP that defiantly sounds way to good to be scrapping it.

Are you in a rush to get rid? I might be interested and live locally (Reading), but in the process of selling my current car at the moment.
Challo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21st, 2022, 20:24   #10
TJMurphy
VOC Member

Thanks for all the advice. No, I'm not in a rush to offload it and you've given me lots of stuff to think about.