Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

740 cam chain and timing

Views : 1790

Replies : 30

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 10th, 2022, 18:19   #1
Offgrid
Offgrid camper

Default 740 cam chain and timing

I bought a 740 saloon with a B230E replacement engine which was destined for the scrap yard. It has a multitude of minor problems, and I've fixed a few of them, and I'm really enjoying driving the car. There is a ticking noise from the engine, and I read somewhere that sometimes this can be cured by advancing the ignition. Today I tried an experiment. On checking the distributor, I noticed that the timing mark on the distributor was below the mark on the cam cover, and I would guess it was about 2 degrees. I realigned these, and the engine sounded as rough as anything, so I moved it back and added what I would guess to be another degree. This seems to have made the car more responsive, so the first question is - have I advanced the engine by another degree? The improvement may be a bit subjective, as the Volvo feels like a McLaren after driving my 3.5 tonne LDV for a few years.

The next Q relates to the timing chain. The engine is of unknown vintage and mileage, but I believe it is older than the 1988 740. I understand that the timing chain may have stretched a bit, and at what stage should I consider replacing it? That is assuming that chains are still available. Is it an interference head, and I should play safe by replacing it?
Offgrid is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Offgrid For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 10th, 2022, 19:41   #2
Moomoo
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offgrid View Post
I bought a 740 saloon with a B230E replacement engine which was destined for the scrap yard. It has a multitude of minor problems, and I've fixed a few of them, and I'm really enjoying driving the car. There is a ticking noise from the engine, and I read somewhere that sometimes this can be cured by advancing the ignition. Today I tried an experiment. On checking the distributor, I noticed that the timing mark on the distributor was below the mark on the cam cover, and I would guess it was about 2 degrees. I realigned these, and the engine sounded as rough as anything, so I moved it back and added what I would guess to be another degree. This seems to have made the car more responsive, so the first question is - have I advanced the engine by another degree? The improvement may be a bit subjective, as the Volvo feels like a McLaren after driving my 3.5 tonne LDV for a few years.

The next Q relates to the timing chain. The engine is of unknown vintage and mileage, but I believe it is older than the 1988 740. I understand that the timing chain may have stretched a bit, and at what stage should I consider replacing it? That is assuming that chains are still available. Is it an interference head, and I should play safe by replacing it?

It’s a belt bud, change as soon as possible if you don’t know when last done!👍
Old Jun 10th, 2022, 19:54   #3
Offgrid
Offgrid camper

Thanks
I don't know where I got the idea it is a chain. I've looked at the belt cover enough times. I gather that a few engines ate interference to squeeze a bit of extra horsepower, so a change looks like a sensible precaution.
I'm still not sure about the ignition timing, and I may take the cover off to see if it is tappet rattle.
Offgrid is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Offgrid For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 10th, 2022, 21:30   #4
360beast
Go redblock or go home

The interval is 5 years or 48k miles I believe
360beast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 11th, 2022, 01:26   #5
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offgrid View Post

If the dizzy is mounted on the back of the head, the timing is non-adjustable but make sure the nylon hose from the inlet manifold through the bulkhead to the EZK ignition ECU above the brake pedal is intact and the manifold stub is clean internally - will make a world of difference if that's loose and/or blocked and you remedy it!

Have a look at the timing belt and find out whether you have square or round teeth on it. Square teeth are 36k miles/3 years, round teeth are 4 years or 40k miles if memory serves - if in doubt err on the side of caution and renew at 36k miles but for the cost of a new belt, do it ASAP and you know it's been done - don't forget to retension it after 600 miles too!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11th, 2022, 07:20   #6
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
If the dizzy is mounted on the back of the head, the timing is non-adjustable but make sure the nylon hose from the inlet manifold through the bulkhead to the EZK ignition ECU above the brake pedal is intact and the manifold stub is clean internally - will make a world of difference if that's loose and/or blocked and you remedy it!

Have a look at the timing belt and find out whether you have square or round teeth on it. Square teeth are 36k miles/3 years, round teeth are 4 years or 40k miles if memory serves - if in doubt err on the side of caution and renew at 36k miles but for the cost of a new belt, do it ASAP and you know it's been done - don't forget to retension it after 600 miles too!
Some distributors have two holes so they can't be adjusted and others have a slot one side so you can adjust them, they usually have a molded plastic insert in the slot that only allows you to bolt it in one position. However we all now what happens to heat cycled oil soaked plastic and it sounds like it has broken up and gone wandering on this one so it can be adjusted.

I'll double check my manuals for the belt interval as I don't ever remember seeing a different change interval for the different teeth. I know the Haynes manual just says 5 years or 48k miles.
Old Jun 11th, 2022, 10:23   #7
griston64
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360beast View Post
Some distributors have two holes so they can't be adjusted and others have a slot one side so you can adjust them, they usually have a molded plastic insert in the slot that only allows you to bolt it in one position. However we all now what happens to heat cycled oil soaked plastic and it sounds like it has broken up and gone wandering on this one so it can be adjusted.

I'll double check my manuals for the belt interval as I don't ever remember seeing a different change interval for the different teeth. I know the Haynes manual just says 5 years or 48k miles.
They are both 5 years or 50k for belts regardless of square or round teeth
griston64 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 11th, 2022, 11:43   #8
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Quote:
Originally Posted by griston64 View Post
They are both 5 years or 50k for belts regardless of square or round teeth
Checked my Haynes as the green books didn't say an interval, I was in two minds between 48 & 50k and the Haynes says 50k
Old Jun 11th, 2022, 12:59   #9
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360beast View Post
Checked my Haynes as the green books didn't say an interval, I was in two minds between 48 & 50k and the Haynes says 50k
Just checked my Haynes book for the 760 and that says 4 years/48k miles. For some reason the Volvo 7/9xx Data Pocket page has disappeared from the wibbly-wobbly-web as i'm sure that is where i saw the 36k and 48k intervals as i quoted above. Fairly certain an older 740 Haynes book quoted 36k miles on the square toothed belt and that tallies again with what i quoted above.

If memory serves the B230E is non-interference so won't be a major problem if it does fail, just inconvenient although prevention is always better than cure.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11th, 2022, 13:43   #10
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Just checked my Haynes book for the 760 and that says 4 years/48k miles. For some reason the Volvo 7/9xx Data Pocket page has disappeared from the wibbly-wobbly-web as i'm sure that is where i saw the 36k and 48k intervals as i quoted above. Fairly certain an older 740 Haynes book quoted 36k miles on the square toothed belt and that tallies again with what i quoted above.

If memory serves the B230E is non-interference so won't be a major problem if it does fail, just inconvenient although prevention is always better than cure.
That's where I got 48k from then as I've got a 700 Haynes too.
The Following User Says Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:

Tags
ignition timing, timing chain, volvo 740