Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Start up after years unused.

Views : 1964

Replies : 27

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 15th, 2022, 14:20   #21
rudi dudi
DPF free.FCUK Greta he he

Did you have to free her off (unseize) or did she turn over freely by hand on the crank pulley?
Old Jun 15th, 2022, 15:40   #22
Chrispy01

There was a little resistance when I first attempted to crank manually, so I opted for discretion over valour and added a tiny amount of diesel/transmission fluid to each cylinder and left it overnight. It turned without resistance the following morning by hand.

I then cranked it using the starter motor with the fuel pump fuse removed to get oil pressure up...then refitted the fuse and she started first attempt.....then died. I guessed that the plugs might had been slightly fouled, so I cleaned them all up and since she idles no problem.

I hope to have time to free the rear discs in the next couple of days and then I'll say a few prayers to the god of automatic transmission solenoids when I try and move her.

Thanks for your help. Much appreciated.
Chrispy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chrispy01 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 15th, 2022, 16:21   #23
rudi dudi
DPF free.FCUK Greta he he

Happy days.
Nothing you can do for the box.Either it’s going to be ok or Fcuked.
Fingers crossed
Old Jun 21st, 2022, 10:12   #24
Chrispy01

Default Progress Report #2

Got her moving yesterday, but only fast enough to engage third gear as there was quite sharp intermittent brake shudder through the pedal even at low speed. The gear changes were very smooth and engaging reverse was no problem so I'm optimistic she'll be ok in top gear. She also passed the pcv glove test, so I'll now go ahead and change all belts and fluids. To address the brake shudder I'll check of all suspension bushes and links and I need to change the tyres, pads and discs on all four corners in any event.

There's some other niggly stuff, but they're not car killers. Thanks to all for your help thus far and I feel that I should explain why such a lovely car was left untouched for almost 7 years.

I bought her originally and in 2000 was offered the chance to return to Tokyo for a couple of years and my dad took her on. He absolutely loved the car, but eventually needed something more practical (V70) and so I got her back 9 years ago. Prior to yesterday, the last time I drove her was on a journey back from Romford Queen's hospital to south Lincolnshire, having just learned that my dad was terminally ill and had just weeks left. It was very much his car, and having parked her up and with a parasitic drain meaning she was quickly immobile, I just blocked her out of my mind and let her sit there. It's all the more unforgivable as I've since worked quite a bit on two other cars.

Well, at least, it now appears that not too much harm has been done. Hopefully, I can get her back on the road and move on to the detailing side of things, get her gleaming and add to her rather modest 88k miles.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chrispy01 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 21st, 2022, 11:40   #25
ITSv40
VOC Member

C70's really are delightful cars and well worth the effort to get back up and running. Good luck with future progress👍
ITSv40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21st, 2022, 15:10   #26
SnineT
Extrahumanestrial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrispy01 View Post
Got her moving yesterday, but only fast enough to engage third gear as there was quite sharp intermittent brake shudder through the pedal even at low speed. The gear changes were very smooth and engaging reverse was no problem so I'm optimistic she'll be ok in top gear. She also passed the pcv glove test, so I'll now go ahead and change all belts and fluids. To address the brake shudder I'll check of all suspension bushes and links and I need to change the tyres, pads and discs on all four corners in any event.

There's some other niggly stuff, but they're not car killers. Thanks to all for your help thus far and I feel that I should explain why such a lovely car was left untouched for almost 7 years.

I bought her originally and in 2000 was offered the chance to return to Tokyo for a couple of years and my dad took her on. He absolutely loved the car, but eventually needed something more practical (V70) and so I got her back 9 years ago. Prior to yesterday, the last time I drove her was on a journey back from Romford Queen's hospital to south Lincolnshire, having just learned that my dad was terminally ill and had just weeks left. It was very much his car, and having parked her up and with a parasitic drain meaning she was quickly immobile, I just blocked her out of my mind and let her sit there. It's all the more unforgivable as I've since worked quite a bit on two other cars.

Well, at least, it now appears that not too much harm has been done. Hopefully, I can get her back on the road and move on to the detailing side of things, get her gleaming and add to her rather modest 88k miles.

Glad you got it going however had I seen this earlier and for the benefit of future readers in addition to the prior good advice about hand cranking, bore lubing etc I would advise that the fuel supply is disconnected and the the system drained, in your case now it's started I would run it out of fuel and change the fuel filter before putting anymore fuel in it, I would probably change the filter again in a 1000 miles times,

Old fuel that's older than 2 years old can varnish and always loses it's octane rating naturally, in addition to sediment that's been settled getting whipped back up again in the tank,

Hope she shines up nice for you.
SnineT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21st, 2022, 16:34   #27
Chrispy01

Thanks for that SnineT, much appreciated. I should have added 'filters' to 'change all belts and fluids' in my last comment. I'll be sure to follow your advice...I believe I read that the fuel filter bracket is rust prone too, so will check that out.
Old Jun 23rd, 2022, 03:50   #28
CNGBiFuel
Classic P80 1999 BiFuel

If that's brake-judder it'll only be the lump taken out of each disc where it's been sat. If it's bearable - and the rust cloud has gone - leave it and the worst judder will be gone in 50 miles, and eliminated by 1500-2000. Suck it and see before lashing out on pads/discs.

For me, the whole point of these cars is they cost beggar-all to run; parts are cheap, yet don't spend what you don't have to. I'd make a mortgage amount bet that says it's near as makes no differnence, rot free too.

Last edited by CNGBiFuel; Jun 23rd, 2022 at 04:08.
CNGBiFuel is offline   Reply With Quote