Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Girling Calliper Seized

Views : 1882

Replies : 31

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 27th, 2022, 14:47   #11
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Make sure you are using a proper 11mm brake pipe spanner on the hard line. Heat the metal section of the Flexi and it should come undone, I've yet to be defeated by one doing it this way. Just be careful as the rubber can get very hot and melt and then you have boiling brake fluid to contend with, I've not had this happen to myself yet but it is a risk.

The other thing you can do is cut the Flexi pipe off so it is just the union left, get a ratchet with the correct size socket (14 or 15mm I think) and the brake pipe spanner. Ram the spanner up against the body so it can't spin and then use the ratchet to undo it. It would be worth heating it before doing this but again be careful as when you cut the rubber hose there is a potential to get a booboo from the brake fluid.
360beast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 27th, 2022, 15:25   #12
Forrest
VOC Member

Thanks Luke. I did wonder about cutting the rubber hose and trying an impact driver/socket on it but I had visions of it totally mangling the hard brake line if/when the 11mm rounded off. I've been trying to keep my interventions non-destructive thus far.

I've been using Gedore flare nut wrenches. They are fairly new since I bought them for this job but they are nowhere near the quality I remember Gedore being. I wonder whether they might be fakes. They claim to be made in Germany.
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Forrest For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 27th, 2022, 15:49   #13
Steve 940
Premier Member

Hi Forrest,

Hope you manage to get this sorted, I always seem to have worst case scenarios running in my mind when doing jobs.

Think your option of having a replacement hard line, just in case, is very wise, or as you say, just get the garage to do it. Just depends if you're feeling brave😀

Cheers
Steve
Steve 940 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steve 940 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 28th, 2022, 10:10   #14
Ian21401
Premier Member

Luke’s advice appears to be the way forward, especially as your replacing the hoses anyway.
I’m surprised that you didn’t deal with the flexi hoses whilst you were replacing the calipers.
Good fit brake line spanners are essential. In the past I have used frequent applications of penetrating fluid ( Plusgas) then some judicious heat and squirt penetrating fluid on again whilst hot. Don’t be tempted to try and move the unions far in any one direction at first. Be gentle with them. Tweak one way then the other way until they start to move a little further each time and watch for the hard line starting to twist. If it does show signs of twisting then tweak the union back the other way.
Then patience, thoughtfulness and not losing one’s temper with them.
Good luck.

Since 2005: 1992 Volvo 940 estate 2.0L. Manual. Daily driver and workhorse.

Last edited by Ian21401; Jun 28th, 2022 at 10:14.
Ian21401 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ian21401 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 28th, 2022, 19:31   #15
Ian21401
Premier Member

Further to my previous post.
IIRC there is a “U” shaped spring clip which I think locks the end of the flexi onto the body bracket and prevents it from turning so if you wish to turn the hose end whilst holding the rigid pipe union it will be necessary to remove that clip.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ian21401 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 28th, 2022, 19:54   #16
Forrest
VOC Member

Now, I was trying to undo the pipe union with that clip still in position so maybe that’s what I was doing wrong. I thought it was just to hold the connector in the bracket.
The Following User Says Thank You to Forrest For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 28th, 2022, 22:09   #17
Ian21401
Premier Member

Forrest,
I don’t think that you are wrong as, if the hardline union wasn’t seized it would still unscrew, then remove the clip to draw the flexi end away from the hardline and out of the body bracket.
I cannot be sure as it is quite some time since I replaced my front flexi hoses. The clip initially confused me at the time as I have never encountered a similar arrangement before. I removed it anyway then proceeded to loosen the hardline union. I think that the end of the flexi passes through the body bracket and is positively located into the body bracket then locked in place by that clip. Once the hard line union was loosened and the clip removed the flexi end could be withdrawn from the body bracket. If the clip is removed first it may be possible to ease the flexi end slightly from the body bracket far enough for an attempt to turn it whilst counter holding the hardline union.

Last edited by Ian21401; Jun 28th, 2022 at 22:14.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ian21401 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 7th, 2022, 12:22   #18
Forrest
VOC Member

Well, this saga continues. I thought I'd reached an uneasy peace with the brakes in that they are actually working well and only perhaps dragging very slightly at the front. I'd pretty much decided I would wait until the MOT in December to get the garage to change the flexi pipes.

Then earlier this week the fluid low warning light started flickering on/off. No obvious signs of a leak on anything I've touched - which was just the front calipers. The fluid level had settled on the minimum. I've topped up to maximum and the light has stopped coming on. This may just be the new front pads settling and because I hadn't filled the reservoir to the maximum. However, it's meant I'm checking things more frequently for now.

I noticed that the servo, master cylinder and ABS module were all quite hot after a 20 mile run. Not burning hot, but you wouldn't want to hold onto them for too long. Is this normal? The hard brake lines didn't seem excessively hot.

When I changed the front calipers I didn't bleed the rear brakes but they seem to be working normally and the pedal feels firm enough. The rear pads were changed by a garage last year. I bled the front lines using a pressure bleeder at 25psi attached to the reservoir until there were no air bubbles coming out of the bleed nipples.

Is it worth doing a full bleed in the correct order? My gut feel is that it won't change anything. I don't see how air could have got into the rear circuit and I was only planning to do that if I decide to have another go at replacing the flexi pipes.

I should add that this is all at the level of niggles and slight concern at the moment. If I thought there was anything seriously wrong I'd seek professional intervention straight away.
The Following User Says Thank You to Forrest For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 7th, 2022, 12:49   #19
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest View Post

I noticed that the servo, master cylinder and ABS module were all quite hot after a 20 mile run. Not burning hot, but you wouldn't want to hold onto them for too long. Is this normal? The hard brake lines didn't seem excessively hot.
They're all fairly close to the heat coming off the exhaust manifold (and turbo if you have one) so are likely to warm up during driving, especially if you're a bit "enthusiastic".
The servo is black so will absorb heat which in turn will help to warm the master cylinder.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 7th, 2022, 14:02   #20
griston64
Premier Member

Is the abs module in the same place as a 940 on a S90 ? By that I mean on the opposite side to the exhaust manifold

If it is then it might be the dragging brake caliper that's heating up the fluid which would then heat up the module slightly
griston64 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post: