Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo XC90 T8 complete engine failure

Views : 7016

Replies : 42

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 1st, 2022, 09:49   #31
Haldex
Premier Member

So Philip, if I understand correctly, you previously had the ERAD replaced (under warranty..) and now new engine + gearbox rebuild - damn, that car must have been built in the night shift, on a Friday Dec 31

Out of curiosity - you tow much?

XC40 B4 RD AWD
Haldex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1st, 2022, 10:21   #32
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haldex View Post
So Philip, if I understand correctly, you previously had the ERAD replaced (under warranty..) and now new engine + gearbox rebuild - damn, that car must have been built in the night shift, on a Friday Dec 31

Out of curiosity - you tow much?
Nope. Virtually never tow, only towed the boat once and it is only a plastic dingy..... Tow bar is predominately for the bike rack.

I just feel unlucky. Car otherwise feels well built. I have done 135k miles in it though.

My gut feeling is that the new engine is not proving to be as robust as engines of old. And maybe the hybrid constantly turning the engine on and off is not proving conducive to a long life........
Previously:-
1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Philip Fisher For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 17th, 2022, 13:49   #33
Volvocano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Fisher View Post
My gut feeling is that the new engine is not proving to be as robust as engines of old. And maybe the hybrid constantly turning the engine on and off is not proving conducive to a long life........
Look at the specific power output of the engines - in the same ball-park as race and motorcycle engines of 20 years ago. They are highly stressed - I change my oil between services - I don't know if this will help but it won't do any harm!

When I worked for an oil company the analysis we did on the best synths of the day showed they were shot (viscosity wise) after 4,000 miles - despite even then some service intervals being 15K. And oil was thicker back then!
Volvocano is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Volvocano For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 17th, 2022, 14:39   #34
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvocano View Post
Look at the specific power output of the engines - in the same ball-park as race and motorcycle engines of 20 years ago. They are highly stressed - I change my oil between services - I don't know if this will help but it won't do any harm!

When I worked for an oil company the analysis we did on the best synths of the day showed they were shot (viscosity wise) after 4,000 miles - despite even then some service intervals being 15K. And oil was thicker back then!
I change my oil every 6,000 miles with genuine oil and filter. The oil is filthy so much so that the next oil that goes in there is already black 5 minutes later.

I am at 125k now and no oil consumption at all. I can’t fathom people paying £240 for a basic oily rag look over and oil every 18,000 miles when you can buy the exact oil and filter three times over and change it each 6,000 miles knowing that it’s all been done properly!
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17th, 2022, 14:55   #35
Volvocano

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC90Mk1 View Post
I change my oil every 6,000 miles with genuine oil and filter. The oil is filthy so much so that the next oil that goes in there is already black 5 minutes later.

I am at 125k now and no oil consumption at all. I can’t fathom people paying £240 for a basic oily rag look over and oil every 18,000 miles when you can buy the exact oil and filter three times over and change it each 6,000 miles knowing that it’s all been done properly!
That's very frequent - do you have a diesel? Obviously Volvo don't make oil - anything (cheaper) with the same spec will be fine, I also use aftermarket Mann oil filters - which are the people who make the OE ones anyway.
Old Sep 18th, 2022, 00:05   #36
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
That's very frequent - do you have a diesel? Obviously Volvo don't make oil - anything (cheaper) with the same spec will be fine, I also use aftermarket Mann oil filters - which are the people who make the OE ones anyway.
No they don't , but they worked with Castrol to develop their unique formulation for this new advanced engine. , hence the 0w/20 VCC RBS0-2AE unique specification required.
Old Sep 18th, 2022, 02:51   #37
Volvocano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
No they don't , but they worked with Castrol to develop their unique formulation for this new advanced engine. , hence the 0w/20 VCC RBS0-2AE unique specification required.
Which wasn't the standard viscosity of the oil used in this engine for the first 3 or 4 years of its life. The recommendation of 0w/20 is a recent change (TSB) possibly driven by engine failure due to oil ring gumming.

As for the oil company - the company that used its economic might to be able to sell synth blends marketed as fully-synth. A spec is a spec - if an oil meets the specification, then an oil meets the specification, it's not "unique" there are third party companies making oil to that specification such as Morris Lubricants Multivis ECO V 0W-20 - I believe this oil is also rebadged for Comma - I use either depending on what I can get hold of at the time.
Old Sep 18th, 2022, 06:09   #38
xco
Premier Member

Quote:

I totally agree with your thoughts on the XC90 mk2 engines being stressed and aired my views on here way back when Volvo announced they were going to go the 2.0ltr route with their new VEA engines from 2015 onwards...
.It seemed to me to be asking too much of a 2.0ltr engine in such a big car, something has to give surely and it seems that it has!!?
But I was assured by those in the know on here who know better and more than me that that was the way to go and that the new VEA engines were more than up to it for the job.....
....Mm mm I think more will follow....

Hope I'm wrong?!!
Wherever you go............There you are!!!
xco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18th, 2022, 07:02   #39
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
My 2012 is a diesel yes which runs 0W-30.

I would use any reputable oil however the oil and filter (which is branded ‘Mann’ and ‘Volvo’ with a crush washer comes in at under £70 for 6 litres which frankly is less than I can but it for elsewhere hence the Volvo purchase.
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18th, 2022, 08:18   #40
N777ckg

I personally think you have made the right choice with a new engine as expensive as it is, I would be tempted to keep it after that to be honest.
I would try and get another price from a different Volvo dealer, I had intended to order mine from Doncaster which is my local but they were over £300 a month more on a Business lease than the Nottingham, and I’ve found them expensive on the accessories I’ve purchased also, so could be worth a phone call elsewhere?
N777ckg is offline   Reply With Quote