Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Starting issues

Views : 829

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 5th, 2022, 12:58   #1
Juular

Default Starting issues

Coming to my wits end with a starting issue!

So as per my thread, 1988 B230 K-Jet fed engine.

My current issue is that on a cold start the car needs a very long crank before it will pick up and run. Once it picks up, it runs fine.

Hot starts, it will pick up first turn and run for a second or two before stalling. Then it will start and run absolutely fine.

Here is what I've eliminated / changed:

- In-tank fuel pump, replaced with an airtec one. It works, I can jump fuses 4-6 and you can hear it buzzing away.

- Main HP fuel pump. The old one was getting very noisy when hot and causing the car to kangaroo. Replaced with a Lucas pump. Noise and kangarooing has disappeared.

- All fuel hoses replaced - the one in the tank sender, and the out and return lines. New clamps.

- KJet fuel pressures are bang on, set with a pressure gauge. Car runs exceptionally well when running.

- Bridging fuses 4-6 to run the pumps before starting does not improve anything.

The problem seemed to start when I swapped the main pump. Before I did this, car would start first time, every time, but the pump would get very very hot and pull amps way above spec. After 15 minutes or so the car would kangaroo and occasionally die.

I can't see how a new HP pump that's working better than the old one, would cause a poor cold start?
Juular is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Juular For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 5th, 2022, 21:09   #2
Bob Meadows
Premier Member

Have you checked the Air Admittance Valve:~
On a cold engine pull the curved hose away to view the fibre valve- it should be open.
As the car warms up the valve should move into a closed position.
You can lubricate the above with GT85 or whatever you prefer- the valve can be moved from open/closed positions with a small tool to test the spring.
Regards Bob.
Bob Meadows is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bob Meadows For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 6th, 2022, 10:57   #3
Juular

Come to think of it.. I may well have messed with this! Thanks for reminding me..
Old Apr 9th, 2022, 21:20   #4
Juular

Managed to sort this.

The problem was the o-ring under the metering head. I recently replaced this as it had perished, but I used one from a box I had lying around instead of measuring it. It was about 3.6mm thick.

I replaced this with a 2mm one and it appears to have fixed a few things. Thinking about it, the thicker o-ring would have changed the relationship between the airflow plate and the plunger position.

I had to dial the co screw down quite dramatically after that as it was set in relation to the wrong o-ring.
The Following User Says Thank You to Juular For This Useful Post:
Old May 31st, 2022, 16:55   #5
Juular

Continuing with this (sort of), I have an intermittent problem where despite starting first time, the engine is utterly gutless for a few minutes. It's clear the mixture is off (lean) when this happens.

I know exactly what the issue is, but I don't know why, or how to stop it.

I have narrowed it down to the warmup regulator (control pressure regulator). I have set this exactly right so that it's around 0.5-1 bar when cold, and 3.5 bar when hot. This is the spec both in the K-Jet manual and the 240 Haynes.

However, at the times when it's misbehaving I can see from fitting a gauge that the cold control pressure rockets to 5 bar (super lean) and doesn't move. It's almost as if the WUR is blocked. It isn't though, as I can get flow through the return quite easily.

I can fix it easily by giving the WUR a smack on the body with a hammer. This seems to reset it back to the 0.5 / 3.5 bar setting, and then it runs fine again for a couple of weeks.

So, somehow my WUR is drifting out of alignment and sticking in the fully closed position. I have no idea what could cause this, or why a shock from a hammer would fix it?

Everything inside the WUR has been cleaned up and looks great.

Does the metal diaphragm stick in one position when it's worn? Is there something else that sticks?
Old Jun 18th, 2022, 21:45   #6
AndrewBrown

the bi metallic strip and the spring that holds it in position once warm

http://b2resource.com/PDFs/wurfix.pdf

have a look at that PDF

Last edited by AndrewBrown; Jun 18th, 2022 at 21:54.
AndrewBrown is offline   Reply With Quote