Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC40 '18> General

Notices

XC40 '18> General Forum for vehicles post 2018 on the Compact Modular Architecture or CMA Platform

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What are Volvo doing?

Views : 2061

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 27th, 2022, 14:42   #1
cbetofop

Default What are Volvo doing?

I have owned an XC40 T4 AWD since 2019 under the Care By Volvo scheme. Everything's been great, love the car. The deal ends May 2022.

I went to my dealer back in October and ordered an XC40 AWD B4 with a 360 camera.

Early January 2022, I get a call from the dealer to the effect that: -
Volvo have cancelled the order and are not building the car to the requested spec, because they have "changed their range". I can have either a FWD only with a 360 camera OR an AWD but not with a 360.......AND the lead time is now 8 to 9 months.

The dealer went on to say that Volvo are offering only 3 models in the range and each model has a limited number of options.

I checked this with another dealer in the area; and yes, this is the case.

I have ordered a Mazda. Volvo appears to want to go the way of SAAB and with service like this, probably will. What a shame.
cbetofop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27th, 2022, 15:02   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbetofop View Post
I have owned an XC40 T4 AWD since 2019 under the Care By Volvo scheme. Everything's been great, love the car. The deal ends May 2022.

I went to my dealer back in October and ordered an XC40 AWD B4 with a 360 camera.

Volvo have cancelled the order and are not building the car to the requested spec, because they have "changed their range". I can have either a FWD only with a 360 camera OR an AWD but not with a 360.......AND the lead time is now 8 to 9 months.

The dealer went on to say that Volvo are offering only 3 models in the range and each model has a limited number of options.

I have ordered a Mazda. Volvo appears to want to go the way of SAAB and with service like this, probably will. What a shame.
It is due to the worldwide shortage of electronic parts they had to redesign the models and options to allow them to sell more cars ... You just decided to buy one at the wrong moment in the middle of changeover .
Old Jan 27th, 2022, 16:30   #3
Familyman 90
The Brit Brick

My BiL redently couldnt get the Mazda CX5 in the spec he originally ordered because of this, eventually had to settle for a different spec as they rationalised the trim levels.
Old Jan 27th, 2022, 23:56   #4
GrahamHR

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbetofop View Post

We were looking to buy a XC40. Expensive and with my experience of appallingly unreliable electronics on my V60 Polestar, we bought a Mazda CX30 AWD instead. No regrets.
GrahamHR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29th, 2022, 13:58   #5
AndyRN01

Default Parts shortage?

I find it interesting that during 2021 Uk dealers had various specs removed from the options list but in the MY23 reshuffle they have built in all of the electronic safety options on everything except the basic model.
Now I understand that MY23 has a 8-9 month lead time but the range assumes that suppliers will meet their build demands once more with chips!
The blind spot mirror system and other safety systems were not available due to chip shortage but I don’t understand Volvo cancelling some customer orders placed late September or October 2021 that didn’t need those options!
Rubbing buyers up the wrong way after they’ve waited 3 or 4 months already seems like a stupid move.
I’ve noticed you can have one current model new in 4 weeks on the rental scheme.
So if you can produce the MY22 model in 4 weeks to rent why can’t you meet sales orders?
I ordered a T5 inscription pro in September and a recent phone call to my dealer revealed that my end of March delivery is now first week of April but not cancelled (yet).
Moving forward I agree that the way they’ve done the new line up is better for them and us really. Less confusing when ordering as colour, seat material or towbar is the only factors you can change.
If they have started building the face-lift models they should of offered waiting customers the first ones available as close to their price range as possible without cancelling their orders.
AndyRN01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29th, 2022, 22:59   #6
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyRN01 View Post
I find it interesting that during 2021 Uk dealers had various specs removed from the options list but in the MY23 reshuffle they have built in all of the electronic safety options on everything except the basic model.
Now I understand that MY23 has a 8-9 month lead time but the range assumes that suppliers will meet their build demands once more with chips!
The blind spot mirror system and other safety systems were not available due to chip shortage but I don’t understand Volvo cancelling some customer orders placed late September or October 2021 that didn’t need those options!
Rubbing buyers up the wrong way after they’ve waited 3 or 4 months already seems like a stupid move.
I’ve noticed you can have one current model new in 4 weeks on the rental scheme.
So if you can produce the MY22 model in 4 weeks to rent why can’t you meet sales orders?
I ordered a T5 inscription pro in September and a recent phone call to my dealer revealed that my end of March delivery is now first week of April but not cancelled (yet).
Moving forward I agree that the way they’ve done the new line up is better for them and us really. Less confusing when ordering as colour, seat material or towbar is the only factors you can change.
If they have started building the face-lift models they should of offered waiting customers the first ones available as close to their price range as possible without cancelling their orders.
It's not the dealers fault Its the factory making adjustments to specifications to ensure they can keep the production line going full time . A year or two ago they couldn't due to these parts shortages so had to stop it for 2 weeks .
Volvo UK have a certain fixed yearly allocation from Sweden which has to be shared among the dealers , neither can get enough to supply demand .The UK Dealers are taking all the cars they can of what ever specification they can but there is a limited supply . Volvo have record sales on an ever increasing scale for the last 6 or 7 years , despite at least two new factories being built in China and the USA . Most of the cars are built to the owner's request when possible but unfortunately it cant always be fulfilled due to these electronic shortages . you may order your car specification in January for delivery in say August but things can change sometime down the line when the car is actually built say in June . .
Old Jan 30th, 2022, 16:40   #7
AndyRN01

Default Not blaming dealers

Its Volvo UK/Europe.
Just pointing out that cancelling orders after 3 or 4 months when new MY22 cars are available in 4wks to rent on their website seems crazy. If you build to rent you can fill an existing order that was placed 3 or 4 months ago ‘or’ offer a first place in the line for a MY23 of similar value to the original order rather than cancel orders without any meaningful apologies or incentives to stay with Volvo as some have reported on Facebook.

Last edited by AndyRN01; Jan 30th, 2022 at 17:41.
Old Jan 30th, 2022, 16:44   #8
StaffsS60

Quote:
Blaming Volvo UK/Europe.
Just pointing out that cancelling orders after 3 or 4 months when new MY22 cars are available in 4wks to rent on their website seems crazy. If you build to rent you can fill an existing order that was placed 3 or 4 months ago ‘or’ offer a first place in the line for a MY23 of similar value to the original order rather than cancel orders without any meaningful apologies or incentives to stay with Volvo as some have reported on Facebook.
You will own nothing and be happy
StaffsS60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30th, 2022, 16:47   #9
AndyRN01

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaffsS60 View Post
You will own nothing and be happy
Pointless reply - Thanks
The Following User Says Thank You to AndyRN01 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 30th, 2022, 17:45   #10
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Its Volvo UK/Europe.
Thats what they were doing some months ago ... not sure if that has changed .. .