Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

P1800es Delores 1972 Blue

Views : 4065

Replies : 56

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 20th, 2022, 20:45   #21
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.wigley View Post
Exactly that, 'L.S.'.

While I fully accept Alan's point apropos the 1960's experience, is there not perhaps another consideration?

Cars produced up until that decade were almost universally equipped with cross-ply tyres. Radials began to gain ground in the '70s on account of their better handling characteristics, longer service life and improved fuel mileage.

It became accepted practice to replace cross-ply tyres with radials, especially as the cost of the latter began to fall with increasing demand. The downside of doing this was heavier steering due to the more flexible sidewalls of the radial increasing resistance to steering input at the wheel.

Cars of the period previously engineered for 'worm and peg' systems and cross-ply tyres were later re-engineered to better cope with the widespread adoption of radials and rack and pinion systems.

On that basis, I do not think that you would necessarily be sacrificing the charm of the 1960s driving experience, Alan. Rather, you would simply be adapting it to suit rapidly changing metrics as was widely the case in period. A little like replacing points ignition with the electronic equivalent today, perhaps?

Regards, John.
That's exactly how i view it John - after all the RB has electronic ignition from a later 240 (which could also be fitted to the Amazon and a certain P1800ES too) and i'm fairly sure when Alan had the duff tyre replaced on GAM the other day it was with a radial tyre - presumably to match the other tyres on the car.
Granted E-PAS is the newest technology and a period fit would have been hydraulic but if it does the same job and is easier to fit (i retrofitted PAS to a Mk5 Cortina once, quite time consuming but very worth doing!) but would be less invasive in terms of actually doing the job, no need to change the rack/steering box and so on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow White View Post
I really like the idea of a pennant. However, expanding this idea, I thought a period Bay City Rollers Scarf would do a good job if tied on tightly it would protest the paintwork from contact damage with the aerial tip when folded down.

I’m not really sure why the aerial is there, it serves no useful function.
There was a period of time in the late 60s/early 70s where manufacturers would fit an aerial so the prospective customer could fit a radio easier without invalidating any bodywork warranty by drilling holes for the aerial. Radios were still extra though and main dealers obviously sold radios (usually badged to the marque of the car) at a higher cost than the ones you could have bought in your local motor factors.

You may also find you can unscrew the aerial mast from the base without compromising water-tightness of the cabin.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 20th, 2022, 21:22   #22
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.wigley View Post
Exactly that, 'L.S.'.

While I fully accept Alan's point apropos the 1960's experience, is there not perhaps another consideration?

Cars produced up until that decade were almost universally equipped with cross-ply tyres. Radials began to gain ground in the '70s on account of their better handling characteristics, longer service life and improved fuel mileage.

It became accepted practice to replace cross-ply tyres with radials, especially as the cost of the latter began to fall with increasing demand. The downside of doing this was heavier steering due to the more flexible sidewalls of the radial increasing resistance to steering input at the wheel.

Cars of the period previously engineered for 'worm and peg' systems and cross-ply tyres were later re-engineered to better cope with the widespread adoption of radials and rack and pinion systems.

On that basis, I do not think that you would necessarily be sacrificing the charm of the 1960s driving experience, Alan. Rather, you would simply be adapting it to suit rapidly changing metrics as was widely the case in period. A little like replacing points ignition with the electronic equivalent today, perhaps?

Regards, John.
Good point John, I do indeed have radial tyres on Aunt Maud.

Alan
Old Jan 20th, 2022, 21:28   #23
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
That's exactly how i view it John - after all the RB has electronic ignition from a later 240 (which could also be fitted to the Amazon and a certain P1800ES too) and i'm fairly sure when Alan had the duff tyre replaced on GAM the other day it was with a radial tyre - presumably to match the other tyres on the car.
Granted E-PAS is the newest technology and a period fit would have been hydraulic but if it does the same job and is easier to fit (i retrofitted PAS to a Mk5 Cortina once, quite time consuming but very worth doing!) but would be less invasive in terms of actually doing the job, no need to change the rack/steering box and so on..
Also a good point Dave,
I must admit it did occur to me that I could fit electronic ignition to GAM when I was cleaning the plugs. The same distributor and ignitor (from a >1984 240) would be an easy fit, wouldn't show and might make the motor as easy to start on a cold morn as the RB. It might not cost much if I found a breaker.

That point having already crossed my mind today I'm starting to see the electric PAS case in a better light (although not for me and GAM).

Alan
Old Jan 20th, 2022, 21:46   #24
Othen
Premier Member

Default Electronic Ignition For Aunt Maud

I have just noticed this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volvo-Ama...-127635-2958-0

If it sold for £150 it would be a pretty neat solution for GAM.

Alan
Old Jan 25th, 2022, 21:20   #25
Snow White

Default Oil leak when reversing

Has any member has experience of this as I am curious as to why it occurs. My P1800es ( Delores) did have some issues with general oil leaks when I first got her. These have been covered in previous posts and in the main are rectified. However (and isn’t there always a however) I have noticed that when I’m reversing and only when reversing, I get a thin but but almost continuous line of oil, which is perplexing.
Snow White is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Snow White For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 26th, 2022, 10:24   #26
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow White View Post
Has any member has experience of this as I am curious as to why it occurs. My P1800es ( Delores) did have some issues with general oil leaks when I first got her. These have been covered in previous posts and in the main are rectified. However (and isn’t there always a however) I have noticed that when I’m reversing and only when reversing, I get a thin but but almost continuous line of oil, which is perplexing.
First question is are you sure it's oil and second, if so, any idea whether it's engine oil or gearbox/diff oil?
Does it come from the left or right side or the centre of the car? As a general thing, oil leaks don't just start and stop so it could be it's leaking all the time and it's only when you're reversing that the car is moving slowly enough for it to come out regularly and leave a trail. It could also be it's water coming out of a drain hole and the same about the slow movement making it more obvious. I get that with the heater plenum drains on mine.

Narrowing down what sort of fluid is leaking will help eliminate certain causes, ascertaining where on the vehicle will give more clues and also, if memory serves, yours has D-Jetronic fuel injection? It could be the return line is leaking, because when you're reversing the engine has very little load on it, more fuel will be returned to the tank so you may have a pinhole leak that is only obvious under certain conditions.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 26th, 2022, 16:16   #27
142 Guy
Master Member

I stand in the line up behind Laird Scooby and vote for condensation draining from the exhaust system. Although not stated, the most common time to engage in reverse is backing out of a parking area shortly after starting up. The still cool exhaust system will be full of condensation at that point and you are also more likely to notice the trail left behind out the front windshield. The 'tell' would be get out and wipe your finger in the trail. It should be apparent whether this is condensation or oil. If you don't want to do the finger test just stand around for a bit. On a nice day condensation will evaporate leaving no trace. Oil sticks around.

If it does turn out to be oil, that is a mystery that would require more information on specific location of the deposits relative to the car body.

If it is a fuel leak and is visible it should be easy to confirm by that l'eau de refinery fragrance. If it is a fuel leak you want to to nip that one toute de suite to avoid having a mini simulation of the Hindenburg.

Last edited by 142 Guy; Jan 26th, 2022 at 16:26.
142 Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to 142 Guy For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 26th, 2022, 19:32   #28
Snow White

Default Oil leak on reversing P1800es

Thank you everyone for some interesting comments and suggestions:
It is definitely oil and not exhaust condensation as it was observed on reversing back into the garage after driving (and it is dark and oily). Thankfully no fuel
odour. Position wise, it is right in the mid line of the car. I am considering it may be from the steering for no other reason other than that I had done some heavy manoeuvring prior to this reversing and this was the first observation of a leak, there being no evidence of a leak earlier in the day, following an easy direct reverse park.
I am curious to work this out so will plan for some detective work in dry weather, perhaps next week.
Once again thanks for all the suggestions.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Snow White For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 26th, 2022, 21:22   #29
142 Guy
Master Member

Not steering - unless you have power steering. The manual steering box is offset to the right on your side of the Atlantic and is filled with rather thick EP gear lube which might have a slightly sulphurous smell. Steering box leaks tend to be a very slow drip as opposed to a stream.

Do you have the BW 35 automatic transmission which seemed to be common on a lot of P1800ES? That would be my likely candidate for some odd kind of reverse only problem since the fluid is under a fair amount of pressure. Automatic transmission fluid is lighter weight and may have a tell tale red colour to it as opposed to a more amber / dark amber color for motor oil.
142 Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 142 Guy For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 26th, 2022, 21:36   #30
Snow White

Quote:
Originally Posted by 142 Guy View Post
Not steering - unless you have power steering. The manual steering box is offset to the right on your side of the Atlantic and is filled with rather thick EP gear lube which might have a slightly sulphurous smell. Steering box leaks tend to be a very slow drip as opposed to a stream.

Do you have the BW 35 automatic transmission which seemed to be common on a lot of P1800ES? That would be my likely candidate for some odd kind of reverse only problem since the fluid is under a fair amount of pressure. Automatic transmission fluid is lighter weight and may have a tell tale red colour to it as opposed to a more amber / dark amber color for motor oil.
No, it’s manual transmission so possibly cross that suspect off the list🙃
thank you.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Snow White For This Useful Post: