Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V50 2.0D Engine cut out and won't start.

Views : 1644

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 9th, 2021, 14:47   #1
Sonny47

Default V50 2.0D Engine cut out and won't start.

Anyone quite technical with the 2.0D engine?

I have an issue and a long story 😬

I have an 06 V50 2.0D 136hp, never had any running or starting issues for 5 years. The car had been stood in cold weather for around a week, the wife said the fuel light is on and showing only 30miles left, so I jump in (car is facing slightly up hill) and toy suprise, no fuel light is on and saying I have 120miles left. I do a 20mile round trip and fill it with £40 of diesel with no issues.

The weekend we travel 90miles to see friends with no issues, then on route back around 50miles in, I'm on the motor way and feel a judder and loss of power, I manage to stick it in 3rd with quite high revs and travel 1mile until I can get off the motorway. As I pull off from the junction in 1st it's really lost power and juddering so rev it abit harder just to get down te road in a layby. Switched off and the wouldn't start...

Mr AA man came, relayed the story to him about fuel gauge and said I have probably ran out of fuel, he puts in 10litres, primes it upto the filter, lots of turning over with cold start spraying in and it would idle (I presume on the cold start and not diesel) then cut out. His conclusion is the high pressure pump is shot!

Recovered back home, battery on charge and I look, loads of air in the clear fuel line from the filter to the pump, so I hand pump fuel all the way unto the pump, squirted abit in the top of the pump and cranked it over, i cracked open the nut on the metal fuel line and no pressure or even weaping/spitting of diesel coming out.

So I fit a second hand fuel pump, pulled around 2 litres of fuel out upto the pump to make sure of no air, squirted abit into the pump, cranked it over, lots, and got some little slodges of fuel coming out the metal fuel pipe and also at the injectors but not alot of pressure and still wouldn't start.

Me and my engine bay stink of diesel and the cars still not running 😔

Oh and I had no engine warning lights at all throughout this whole process!
Sonny47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9th, 2021, 16:55   #2
Rocinante
Master Member

I don't think you ran out of fuel. You put in £40 when it was still running, (so it wasn't empty at that point) and then travelled 140miles. I would think you'd have over a hundred miles left in the tank at that point.

I think you've figured that out, but in case you were still including it in your fault finding. Sorry, can't be any more help.
Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12th, 2021, 13:52   #3
Sonny47

Still not running..

Changed high pressure fuel pump, topped up oil to max, primed fuel upto pump. Cranked over and only getting dribbles of fuel out of fuel lines where they connect to injectors.

Read ecu and

0380 glow plug relay faulty signal
1335 EGR position sensor faulty signal
0625 alternator signal too low

Found EGR had collapsed, cap had unscrewed off the spindle. So re assembled that and refitted (I do plan on changing this) cleared the fault codes. Still no start even with some carb cleaner sprayed into the air intake.

0380 glow plug fault reoccurred but should imagine it would start off the carb cleaner with the glow plugs not active?
Sonny47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22nd, 2021, 19:03   #4
zakmuh

Hi mate

I'm having a similar issue. Mine wouldn't start. Exactly like yours, fuel wouldn't just come out of the HP pump.

Check this on yours.....in mine fuel pump cuts off when cranking and that's it...wouldn't flow anymore to HP pump. I had to turn off ignition and wait exactly for 5 mins and then ignition on...it flows..then again same story...cranking would stop the flow!

Still investigating
Old Jan 12th, 2022, 17:21   #5
zakmuh

Car is now sorted. The issue I had was...I had not done the priming correctly, therefore there were lots of air in the fuel line. I did the key On and OFF cycle for over 20 times (as advised by Volvo) and then car started straight away.

If you remove any fuel system line (like a hose or a banjo bolt or high pressure pipe etc), it sucks air in then stops sending fuel to common rail. When you turn the key to ON (ignition on) and if you have air then you could hear fuel flowing in there inside the fuel filter housing under rear passenger seating location. So you have to prime until you hear nothing but whining noise. This is achieved by above method, ON and then OFF

Cheers
Old Jun 15th, 2022, 16:23   #6
aliboots

Mine is dead too. what is the on/off cycle?
aliboots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15th, 2022, 16:26   #7
aliboots

mine won` start either. What is the on/off thingy?
aliboots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18th, 2022, 21:54   #8
SnineT
Extrahumanestrial

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliboots View Post
mine won` start either. What is the on/off thingy?

Keep turning the ignition to where the dash lights illuminate but don't start it, do this on and off and each time you should hear something kick in like a relay click or a pumping type sound, when you've done it the suggested 20 times the car should start ok, hth.
SnineT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19th, 2022, 15:16   #9
Simmy
Premier Member

try a new fuel filter and check the in tank pick up pipe is not clogged bleed the fuel system with a powerful vac system /brake bleeder or /mittyvac . the hand held bulb types are fairly useless
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote