Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D5 engine used without oil. Very sad :-(

Views : 23701

Replies : 71

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 17th, 2021, 13:43   #11
Dancake
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5cilinder View Post
Absolutely positive.
Dancake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dancake For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 17th, 2021, 19:21   #12
Simmy
Premier Member

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5cilinder View Post
that guy on that video mr richard head need some mechanical sense punching in to him what a tool
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17th, 2021, 21:35   #13
5cilinder
Premier Member

Yeah completely bonkers to subsidize to destroy decent cars
They think that pumping around money is better than efficiently use already produced quality goods.
Its the other way around ...you can destroy money without destroying total wealth
Wealth is in already build things not worthless paper perceived as wealth
Watch your hunchbacked prime minister with that funny hair.... that lying creep tricked conservatives to vote for him and that buffoon is already selling them out with communist ideas disguised in green.

My point was that some engines can realy take some abuse before they are broken...... ive seen some american cars who stalled out in just 20 seconds with this treatment
5cilinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18th, 2021, 14:02   #14
reggit
Premier Member

How on earth did the mechanic or whoever ran it not notice the warning messages and lights expressing the fact that there was no oil pressure?

Anyway, as has been said they need to put it back to the condition it was in before the incident happened. New or low mileage engine and turbo in my opinion.
Old Jul 19th, 2021, 15:32   #15
Davadava

I've spoken to another main dealership and they were most surprised too.

They said it has to be a new engine at the main dealer at faults expense.

Four of four engine rebuilders said new engine and associated parts.

One independent insurance assessor said new engine at dealers expense.

One independent engineer/assessor said find a used engine and ask the dealer to fit it!

The Dealer Principal is back from his holidays today and although he said he has no technical knowledge he thought it'll be fine once it has been road tested.

Or perhaps they could fit a used engine.

He kindly offered to arrange an independent engineers report.

We are still without a towcar and have a big road trip planned.

Although 10 years old the car has never missed a beat, we even had the belts done a year early 'just in case' and the transmission service done 12 months ago.

I know that the engine would achieve 200k easily with correct servicing and that is precisely why we bought it as our first new Volvo.

I'm getting increasingly frustrated
Davadava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19th, 2021, 15:37   #16
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davadava View Post
I've spoken to another main dealership and they were most surprised too.

They said it has to be a new engine at the main dealer at faults expense.

Four of four engine rebuilders said new engine and associated parts.

One independent insurance assessor said new engine at dealers expense.

One independent engineer/assessor said find a used engine and ask the dealer to fit it!

The Dealer Principal is back from his holidays today and although he said he has no technical knowledge he thought it'll be fine once it has been road tested.

Or perhaps they could fit a used engine.

He kindly offered to arrange an independent engineers report.

We are still without a towcar and have a big road trip planned.

Although 10 years old the car has never missed a beat, we even had the belts done a year early 'just in case' and the transmission service done 12 months ago.

I know that the engine would achieve 200k easily with correct servicing and that is precisely why we bought it as our first new Volvo.

I'm getting increasingly frustrated
I think subject to hearing back you need to get in writing that you expect a replacement engine. I would also advise you require a vehicle to tow your rig.
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to XC90Mk1 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 19th, 2021, 18:23   #17
TeamG
Master Member

A solicitor’s letter to them explaining that only a new engine, turbo and anything else that touches oil will be acceptable to you. Plus a suitable loan car for your big trip while they fix it.
2008 V50 2.0D SE (sold)
TeamG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TeamG For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 19th, 2021, 19:18   #18
Thassos
GoldMember

Smile

Totally get your feelings, and yes the D5 with good maintenance even improves with age!..a dealer technician once told me they were bulletproof.. and not far wrong but plenty of opportunity on the servicing side to mess up 😀

Do they still have the vehicle (hopefully they do), i would suggest getting an independant expert/engineer to visit and assess the car (although this may not be easy as i suspect were you to collect and drive it away there would be a catalogue of upcoming engine distress heading your way). If you need to legally persue the garage an expert report or 2 would certainly be required, i suspect once they realise you are prepared to persue them unless a satisfactory fix is found they may decide the legal cost on top of the claim might be worth doing the right thing.. but it wont be quick to resolve and will probably involve loan vehicles while the situ heads to court so the total bill is likely to be a lot more than the engine cost.. suspect someone on here with a legal background may better able to assist, but have been down this road many years ago..
Thassos is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Thassos For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 19th, 2021, 19:25   #19
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

I think the issue with an engineers report (and the garage are maybe been clever here) is what are they going to find?????

Bore wear? I doubt it. With residual oil and the fact it’s now running it would appear to not have that.

Compression across the 5 cylinders? The specification for that is open any way.

Is the turbo holding boost (probably).

My issue with an engineers report is hearing camshaft ticking or valve wear, replacing the items FOC then finding 2 years down the line at 80k it’s shafted.
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to XC90Mk1 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 19th, 2021, 21:07   #20
Simmy
Premier Member

even a low mileage replacement is a lottery it might be ok or have its own problems stick to your guns demand a new engine im angry at your garage and its not even my car grrr.
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Simmy For This Useful Post: