Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D5 engine used without oil. Very sad :-(

Views : 23709

Replies : 71

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 16th, 2021, 13:38   #1
Davadava

Default D5 engine used without oil. Very sad :-(

Dear All

Any of you lovely folk able to advise please?

Our beautiful XC70 2011 MY D5 205hp 63,000 miles FVSH, belts and transmission oil changed 12m ago at 60,000 miles

Built to our specification and owned since new.

Main Dealer oil service yesterday seemed to take a while longer than usual.

Manager came to see me to tell me that engine became noisy, knocking, juddering on test drive "for no obvious reason."

"To be further investigated tomorrow"

Today an apologetic phone call explaining that "the technician remembered that he had changed the filter, fitted the sump plug and forgot to add oil." He had popped into work today on his day off to explain - decent chap.

We are all human I suppose.

However...."the car was warmed up on the ramp and driven out of the bay and back in again as the car was making some noise. Oil was then added and the car taken on a road test.

The noises continued and worsened."

Sump has been removed and a bit of damage to a shell seen.

1. The good news is that the cause for the problem is known - oil starvation
2. The concerning news is.....well can you folk advise please?

I'm concerned that damage may have happened that is present now or may affect any engine oil lubricated components down the line.

It is our family caravan holiday tow car (hence transmission fluid replacement at 60k) and we are to use it for a 3 week caravan trip in the near future to the continent.

Our earlier XC70 D5 163 passed 200k miles without issue. I'm less than convinced that this one will do quite so well.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Dealer Principal back next week.

Thanks in advance

David

Last edited by Davadava; Jul 16th, 2021 at 13:56.
Davadava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16th, 2021, 14:40   #2
Dancake
Premier Member

It only takes a few seconds of running an engine without oil to cause terminal damage to bearings, crankshafts, camshafts, piston rings and turbo bearings etc. By adding oil afterwards they are simply closing the stable door after the horse has bolted. The engine will either need to be rebuilt (including new turbos, oil pump and oil cooler etc), or it will need to be replaced.
Dancake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dancake For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 16th, 2021, 14:50   #3
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davadava View Post
Dear All

Any of you lovely folk able to advise please?

Our beautiful XC70 2011 MY D5 205hp 63,000 miles FVSH, belts and transmission oil changed 12m ago at 60,000 miles

Built to our specification and owned since new.

Main Dealer oil service yesterday seemed to take a while longer than usual.

Manager came to see me to tell me that engine became noisy, knocking, juddering on test drive "for no obvious reason."

"To be further investigated tomorrow"

Today an apologetic phone call explaining that "the technician remembered that he had changed the filter, fitted the sump plug and forgot to add oil." He had popped into work today on his day off to explain - decent chap.

We are all human I suppose.

However...."the car was warmed up on the ramp and driven out of the bay and back in again as the car was making some noise. Oil was then added and the car taken on a road test.

The noises continued and worsened."

Sump has been removed and a bit of damage to a shell seen.

1. The good news is that the cause for the problem is known - oil starvation
2. The concerning news is.....well can you folk advise please?

I'm concerned that damage may have happened that is present now or may affect any engine oil lubricated components down the line.

It is our family caravan holiday tow car (hence transmission fluid replacement at 60k) and we are to use it for a 3 week caravan trip in the near future to the continent.

Our earlier XC70 D5 163 passed 200k miles without issue. I'm less than convinced that this one will do quite so well.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Dealer Principal back next week.

Thanks in advance

David
Given she’ll wearing etc I think Volvo will replace the engine. I wouldn’t accept any less and it will be completely ruined now.
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to XC90Mk1 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 16th, 2021, 14:59   #4
Davadava

Cheers, it has been a great worry to us.

We have been told that the crankshaft shells will be replaced and then the engine tested with the diagnostic machine connected to check all is ok.

A mechanic pal said "the engine will be toast in no time" I fear he is correct.

Don't fancy it going pop whilst towing the caravan on a motorway
Davadava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16th, 2021, 15:46   #5
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davadava View Post
Cheers, it has been a great worry to us.

We have been told that the crankshaft shells will be replaced and then the engine tested with the diagnostic machine connected to check all is ok.

A mechanic pal said "the engine will be toast in no time" I fear he is correct.

Don't fancy it going pop whilst towing the caravan on a motorway
I actually don’t think Volvo will offer anything other than a replacement engine??

The issue is that whilst replacing the shell bearings will bring it back in spec and prevent knocking there will be microscopic parts of shell bearing throughout the engine which you won’t clear out.

Valve stem seals in the top have run dry so they won’t last long, and there will be parts of the camshaft and valves etc that will have been temperature effected (hardened or annealed).

I don’t believe you will have too much issue with a reputable Volvo dealer (sadly it’s impressive that they actually admitted it).

But that engine is now completely finished unless you have some over whelming evidence to the country.

Keep us posted as to how you get on with it?
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to XC90Mk1 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 16th, 2021, 16:46   #6
Zebster
Upstanding Member

All bearing surfaces must now be considered to have potential damage. Let them know ASAP that you expect a new engine, if only to put them on the back foot. I've no idea if you'll get one but that's a good target.
Old Jul 16th, 2021, 17:38   #7
Thassos
GoldMember

Smile back to school

Sounds like a schoolboy error.. but full credit for their honesty .. a very sad demise of what sounds like a well cared for volvo .. totally agree with others comments on the way forward,, maybe you could find a lower milage engine from a reputable breakers and get them to swap it out?.. be very interested to hear what they offer to do to rectify things, probably one of the reason's i prefer to do my own servicing despite the aggro this sometimes brings with it 😀 at least you know which idiot broke it 😀
Thassos is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Thassos For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 16th, 2021, 18:16   #8
Adrian888

Oh dear, I feel for you but that engine is well and truly goosed for all the likely reasons already mentioned. And, why should you accept anything less than a new engine? Hope you get a good result.
Adrian888 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Adrian888 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 16th, 2021, 18:46   #9
Simmy
Premier Member

as good as the d5 engine is it can not withstand being run without oil a new engine and turbo is required accept nothing less take legal advise if they try wriggle out of this . if you take the car with a bodged repair the ball will be in your court and they wiil say something like it was ok when you took it its the things that you cannot see that will fail later bores rings cams seals ect
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Simmy For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 17th, 2021, 12:35   #10
5cilinder
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancake View Post
It only takes a few seconds of running an engine without oil to cause terminal damage to bearings, crankshafts, camshafts, piston rings and turbo bearings etc. By adding oil afterwards they are simply closing the stable door after the horse has bolted. The engine will either need to be rebuilt (including new turbos, oil pump and oil cooler etc), or it will need to be replaced.
Are you sure

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iD0Pv6yyGek
5cilinder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 5cilinder For This Useful Post: