Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Still leaking after new core plug and oil seal

Views : 8059

Replies : 28

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 19th, 2014, 22:45   #11
S60man

Well after spending another weekend pulling the gearbox, clutch and flywheel I found the crankshaft seal leaking badly. part of the seal turned itself inside out. The original problem was the core plug see below:-

After the seal failed I decided to try again this time making an insertion tool and try again see below:-

using a rawl anchor expanded into spigot hole (somethingI used toremove spigotbearings)

pulling the seal into place:-

Well after all that you would think job done but it started leaking again immediately. When I took the seal out I couldn't find a spring. It was only when I looked at the replacement seal I realised that the updated seal volvo brought out (part number 31339213) doesn't have a spring and is a pretty flimsy thing compared to the original (part number 9458178) which is like a double seal with a spring!

The only thing I think I could have done wrong is not pull the seal in far enough as i left it flush with the housing and I'm not sure if it should of gone in further.
I'm going to have to bite the bullet and send it to a garage with the proper insertion tool (part number 9997174) which hurts me a lot as I've always manged to dothings like this myself!!
S60man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20th, 2014, 19:50   #12
italian job

I'm gutted for you as I know exactly how you feel. Is there no chance of you borrowing the tool you need from your local Volvo dealer/indy? Hom much does the tool cost to buy? Could you not buy it,then sell it on again when done?
What exactly does it do differently to the insertion tool that you made?

Paul.
italian job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21st, 2014, 09:08   #13
S60man

I'm not 100% sure what the difference is as I've never seen the proper insertion tool but I think there is some sort of tapered edge plate that bolts onto the end of the crankshaft. When the seal is being pushed in it opens up and slides smoothly over the taper and onto the crank without catching an edge and damaging the seal. It also seems to have a bell housing which contains the whole thing and guides it in. If anyone can post some decent pictures of one I might have a go at doing something similar.

I asked about borrowing one but they refused as a matter of policy - can't blame them really. I googled the tool part number (9997174) and the only thing I came up with was in America and it was for a Landrover would you believe - exactly the same tool!!
S60man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21st, 2014, 23:08   #14
D5meister
Premier Member

Bad luck mate, I know these large diameter seals can be more tricky.

I placed mine in and tapped it and it skewed instantly - I paniced and got it out again and the spring had 1/3 come off.

I was shocked how easy it was to get it wrong.

I refitted the spring and had another go, it skewed again when almost fully in,

I manged to straighten tapping the high side. Went with that.

Ive done about 6k so far fine ...

Good luck, make sure the spring isnt on the crankshaft !!
D5meister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28th, 2020, 13:11   #15
lemborghini

Default Rear Crankshaft oil seal tool

So thanks to the Coronavirus I've now got plenty of time to jack up the car and take the gearbox off to replace the RCS that has been leaking since I bought my 2005 V70 on the cheap.

Turns out after putting it back together the oil leak is now worse, so I've taken the gearbox off again and it's attempt no.2!

Reckon there are two causes;

1.) Used oil to lubricate the seal before installation.
2.) Didn't use an installation tool.

So I'm looking for any recommendations on installation including measurements of the tool to make on my lathe (the previous link isn't working anymore).

Thanks
lemborghini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28th, 2020, 13:16   #16
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by S60man View Post
After discovering a sudden and serious oil leak coming from the weep hole of the gearbox bell housing of my 2003 D5 and, after reading everything I could find on the subject on this forum, I decided it must be the core plug above the crankshaft that had come loose.
I bit the bullet and pulled the gearbox clutch and flywheel to find the core plug turned in the housing. I replaced the core plug with a new metal one from Volvo and to be on the safe side replaced the crankshaft oil seal. The oil seal Volvo supplied was of a different construction to the old one but it fitted fine.
After putting it all back together I thought job well done only to discover a week later engine oil was still leaking badly from the gearbox weep hole.
I have read on the forum members suffering the same problem when a main dealer carried out the work and returning the car to volvo to put right but I've never found out what they did.
Could it be a pressure build up in the crank case pushing oil past the seal due to a blocked oil separator? Any ideas would be most welcome.
Not much help to you now i know , But i have said on here many times , if your rear crank seal is dry always leave it well alone whatever the mileage ...

You really must use the special tool to fit the new type seal it holds the seal away from the Crankshaft whilst you fit the seal , the lip is probably turned over on itself .
Old Mar 28th, 2020, 15:03   #17
ksmi
Master Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
Not much help to you now i know , But i have said on here many times , if your rear crank seal is dry always leave it well alone whatever the mileage ...

You really must use the special tool to fit the new type seal it holds the seal away from the Crankshaft whilst you fit the seal , the lip is probably turned over on itself .
Afternoon Clan,Can the fitting tool be purchased at the parts counter? How many Shekels? Not that I need one, but listening to the tales of woe, it would be worth its weight in,,,,, if doing the rear crank seal,otherwise a bit like Russian roulette. BTW thank you for all the info. you give, often think ah,Clan will probably know! and lo and behold....

Regards.

Keith.
Old Mar 28th, 2020, 15:41   #18
cheshired5
Premier Member

I would recommend asking FRF for a price for the correct tool as they have been one of the few dealers who will supply the Volvo workshop tools to retail customers.

I've had 3 workshop tools from them now which usually take a week to arrive as they're not stock items and arrive direct from Sweden.
All of them were overpriced for what they are but the important thing is that they are correct, work exactly as required and can always be sold on or hired out to mitigate costs.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cheshired5 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 28th, 2020, 17:52   #19
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksmi View Post
Afternoon Clan,Can the fitting tool be purchased at the parts counter? How many Shekels? Not that I need one, but listening to the tales of woe, it would be worth its weight in,,,,, if doing the rear crank seal,otherwise a bit like Russian roulette. BTW thank you for all the info. you give, often think ah,Clan will probably know! and lo and behold....

Regards.

Keith.
Hello Keith ,
Thanks for your comments 😊 Yes the Volvo special tool for the rear crankshaft seal 999 7174 is available from any volvo parts counter . don't take no for an answer , Its them being lazy if they give any excuse .

I would guess the price is £50 - £70 but yes worth it's weight in gold .
Its very rare a volvo rear crankshaft ever leaks , it is normal for them to be bone dry .

Keep Safe , Clan
Old Mar 28th, 2020, 22:57   #20
sv70

Very interesting to read this as i intend on replacing the dmf/and slave cylinder in the next few months,i bought the core plug from volvo but got the rear crank seal a quality german-Elring make from my local engine recon place,i cant remember whether the seal is a new type or not,but if it's the old style with a spring and 2 lips would the special tool still be required,or could it be drifted in carefully.I did the front seal last year and remember it was an absolute pig to do with the spring flipping back on itself a few times,before i concocted a thin plastic sleeve to help it in
sv70 is offline   Reply With Quote