Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > Events and Meetings

Notices

Events and Meetings Car events and meetings for Volvo cars can be listed and discussed here.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

VOC National Rally & BKV 2022

Views : 24411

Replies : 58

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 27th, 2022, 18:52   #41
Chris Wickers
Director

Default Ticketing for Guests at this year's National Rally & BKV

Firstly a massive thank you for all the previous kind words and comments - there is an incredible amount of time and effort required to make these events happen and it is very nice to hear that it is appreciated.

As promised a reply to some of the earlier points raised as to why we took the very difficult decision to ask our guests to obtain tickets as opposed to just turning up on the day.

The Club now has it's own Facebook page which although only started a few months ago has a following of approaching 1,000 people. There have been many posts and pictures on the Club Group since the National - a massive thank you to Nick Day for getting this live so quickly. It is also often customary practice when something of interest is posted on Facebook it is shared with people and other groups which are likely to be interested in it - this is one of the real strengths and benefits of Facebook in my opinion.

Given the number of Volvo Facebook Groups and the phenomenal increase in Social Media over the past few years out there it was reasonable to assume that potentially the Rally details could be shared to many, many thousand people, and if just a small percentage of these were to arrive on the day it could cause a number of issues, with insufficient space, insufficient catering, and the logistics of trying to manage a lot more cars and people than usual.

I can fully understand the comments that this is unlikely, something that would never happen, and really ticketing was not needed and it should just continue as previously. This was something we did discuss at length and from my perspective (as the person arranging/organising/monitoring/dealing with queries) would have made my life a lot easier! I did often wonder if we had made the correct decision.
  • Two local (mixed car meets) suddenly without warning cancelled their events because due to the success of promoting on Social Media they were worried they could not accommodate the numbers - they have not been re-scheduled.

• The WhatsApp Group I am a member of suddenly went frantic on a Friday evening asking everyone to stop promoting an event as the anticipated entries from responses meant there was a real risk of not being able to cope.

• Probably the best local Cars and Coffee at the Golf Course started off on Social Media with the organisers catering for 30 cars and getting 181 on their first meet - the venue holds an annual car show with around 5,000 cars so no issue with space, but as they said a couple of Marshalls can deal with 30 cars - 5,000 requires a massive team, extra catering toilets etc. They have now gone fully ticketed for all their events.

So in conclusion the risks were and are very real, and that is why we went ticketed. A large number of free tickets were made available for guests, far, far more than we have ever had turn up at an event before on the basis that we ideally wanted everyone who wanted a ticket to be able to get one, and also to allow that a small percentage would not turn up.

As Jaki has said previously, it was an extremely large percentage who had taken the tickets who did not turn up on the day. We will know this for next year.

Hope the above helps clarify the situation.

Chris
Chris Wickers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Chris Wickers For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 27th, 2022, 20:35   #42
paulcas
Volvo'd up

Hi Chris,

re ''The Club now has it's own Facebook page ..............."

Could you please confirm what the actual Facebook group page is called as there are a number of other similar ones on there - many thanks

Regards, Paul
Old Jun 27th, 2022, 22:17   #43
NUR71V

Exclamation Choo Choo

Hey guys,

Thanks for an awesome day yesterday.
Great seeing all the cars.

PS Sorry for falling off the train, thanks to all who came to my aid. :-)

Mark

NUR71V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28th, 2022, 16:28   #44
Lucien
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulcas View Post
Could you please confirm what the actual Facebook group page is called
I struggled to find it too. It's this one:

https://www.facebook.com/volvoclubuk
Lucien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28th, 2022, 20:33   #45
paulcas
Volvo'd up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucien View Post
I struggled to find it too. It's this one:

https://www.facebook.com/volvoclubuk
Yep, that's the one
Old Jul 1st, 2022, 16:43   #46
wrinkles
VOC Member

I was looking forward to the national last week and was all set to come but the dreaded coved struck so I had no choice but stay home. I was wondering if it would be possible to get a rally fridge magnet to add to my collection if there any left TIA
Old Jul 1st, 2022, 17:14   #47
Derek UK
VOC Member

Was there a fridge magnet? Usually just a rally plaque and they are now plastic I think.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Derek UK For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 1st, 2022, 18:23   #48
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek UK View Post
Was there a fridge magnet? Usually just a rally plaque and they are now plastic I think.
I think that may be what 'wrinkles' is referring to, 'Derek UK'. They are magnetic, and ours does indeed presently happen to be adding a little colour to our otherwise uninteresting 'fridge door!

Regards, John.
Old Jul 2nd, 2022, 16:18   #49
wrinkles
VOC Member

that is right it is the little plaque that I am after. Regs Rick
Old Jul 3rd, 2022, 10:13   #50
Chris Wickers
Director

Default Rally Plaques

I am on the case as they say.

Will contact you once I have managed to get some.

Kind regards

Chris
Chris Wickers is offline   Reply With Quote